Sandy Jardine RIP

The place to discuss Scottish football
Sat31March1928

Sandy Jardine RIP

Post by Sat31March1928 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:21 pm

One of the classiest players ever to play for Hearts (and Rangers).

Fully deserved Player of the Year in 1986.

38 Scotland Caps.

http://londonhearts.com/scotland/player ... rdine.html

Sandy reflecting on his 1000th appearance

Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Alan McCabe

Re: Sandy Jardine RIP

Post by Alan McCabe » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:39 pm

Sad loss of a Scottish footballing great.
To have played at the highest level for such a lengthy period marks Jardine as one of the finest. He was one of my first footballing heroes when he formed a tremendous full-back partnership with Danny McGrain in the 1974 World Cup.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:58 am

In entire agreement with the sentiments above. Not just a fine player but one of the most durable Scottish football has seen with a career stretching over two decades and a phenomenal number of matches played.

tomforsyth

Post by tomforsyth » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:47 pm

A true great.A great ambassador for football.

Rob R

Post by Rob R » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:04 am

A question I have here concerning Sandy. when he signed up at Ibrox did they sign another Jardine around the same time, possibly a relative, the old grey matter might be deceiving me on this one after forty odd years ,but nothing was mentioned of the other Jardine in the obits I have read. I know there were two Jardines in the Hearts 86 near double team, but something makes me recall two Jardines around late 65 early 66 in the Rangers 2nd X1.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:20 am

I was living and working in Edinburgh around the time Sandy signed for Rangers and I played for a team Balgreen Rovers, which included a few of Sandy's contemporaries and friends. Sandy and his twin brother, whose first name I forget, were better than us and played for United Crossroads at the time, but, they would join-in with us on Saughton Playing Fields on Sundays and during the week in the summer.

I seem to remember that Sandy's twin also signed for Rangers, but failed to last their first season. I think this is what Rob R is referring to.
Snuff

Townfan

Post by Townfan » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:56 am

There was a Jimmy Jardine who signed for Rangers in November 1964 from Dunipace Thistle. He joined Aberdeen without making a League Appearance. It was the same at Pittodrie, but he then signed for Hamilton in January 1970 and made 11 appearances in 1969-70 without scoring. Stirling Albion were his final senior club, signing in April 1970. He made 1 appearance.

Rob R

Post by Rob R » Thu May 01, 2014 4:36 am

Thanks for that,I thought it was a twin brother but there was no mention of him in any obits I read, so I dismissed it' as one of they things that over the years plays tricks with your mind. Must have a look in the Evening Times from thar era and check the Rangers 2nd & 3rd X1s line ups.

Rob R

Post by Rob R » Mon May 05, 2014 12:04 am

October 23rd 1965, J Jardine and W Jardine in the same Rangers 3rd X1 against Queen of the South reserves at Palmerston in the Combined Reserve League, courtesy of the Evening Times.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Mon May 05, 2014 10:50 am

RobR wrote:
I thought it was a twin brother but there was no mention of him in any obits I read,

Rob, you were reading the wrong obituaries; from my Herald obituary on Sandy:
He was born, one half of a pair of twin boys,

I always feel, when I am writing sporting obituaries, it is important to get as much family and non-sporting information as possible. It isn't always possible, but, that information I feel tends to round-off the individual being written about.

I have had arguments with other obituary writers that, for instance, when say an 80-year-old former Old Firm player dies, to concentrate on the decade of so when he played for his big club and perhaps won his international honours, then more or less ignore the other 70-years, is an incomplete picture. I have, on occasions, found the non-sporting stuff far-more interesting than the sporting.
Snuff