Commonwealth Games

The place to discuss Scottish football
Rob R

Commonwealth Games

Post by Rob R » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:37 am

I'm sitting here in New Zealand 10;30 PM watching the rugby 7s from Ibrox and the camera pans in to a group of supporters drinking out of small green bottles, now I might be wrong , but I suspect the small green bottles contained beer, so the question I pose was the alcohol law in stadiums, supporters buses etc, that was passed after the 1980 Scottish Cup final only for football or did that cover all sports?

lbb

Re: Commonwealth Games

Post by lbb » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:36 pm

Alcohol can be sold in stadia for events other than football - including rugby. Alcohol can even be sold in stadia at a football match if you're in a hospitality section. Basically, the alcohol ban only covers football fans sitting in the cheap seats. Everyone else can drink alcohol.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:34 pm

Yes, I was at Celtic Park for the opening ceremony to be greeted with the rather bizarre menu on offer:

https://twitter.com/AndyMitchMedia/stat ... 20/photo/1

Heineken, Bulmers or Chardonnay, sir? All very civilised, if expensive.

You could even take your bottle of lager (or glass of wine) to your seats. They were not glass, though, but made of lightweight plastic.

Incidentally, the usual ban on 'controlled containers' was also not implemented - you could bring in your own (plastic) bottles of drink up to 500ml.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:04 pm

Of course, the perception is - sports fans can behave themselves: football fans cannot.

When Glasgow Warriors played at Firhill, some of the guys in the seats in front of the press box were there on a Friday night,enjoying a wee libation while watching the Warriors, and were in the same seats the next day, watching Thistle, but, minus the bevvy.

It didn't make sense then, it still doesn't.

Had football got its act together years ago, and insisted on reasonable behaviour from the fans, just think of the money they could have made out of selling alcohol at games.

Back in 2000, I won aTennent's (who then sponsored the Scottish Cup) competition; the prize in which was corporate hospitality at the Final. Terrific meal, very good seats, excellent post-match hospitality.

There was a minor skirmish amongst the fans in the posh seats - where there was no segregation, and I heard one Aberdeen fan remonstrating with one Police Inspector on-duty, along the lines of: "I had expected segreagation of supporters, why was there none"?

The Inspector's reply was: "We expected people in this part of the stand know how to behave themselves".

If we cannot have half-decent behaviour in the dear seats, then we have no hope of being able to enjoy a civilised libation at the game, for years to come - unless, of course, we pay through the nose for it.

The community singing at Ibrox today was a bit better than normal, and, Neil Diamond and Village People instead of the usual Ibrox song-book was a nice change!!
Snuff

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:22 am

Should that not be the Village We Arra People?

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:22 pm

How about a Village People tribute act doing the Rangers Tribute Act's fans' songbook?

A camp version of The Sash, a download must have?
Snuff

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:19 pm

Snuff wrote:How about a Village People tribute act doing the Rangers Tribute Act's fans' songbook?

A camp version of The Sash, a download must have?
Or at Parkhead: "I-N-L-A, it's fun to be in the I-N-L-A..."
Fraser

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:31 pm

Jeez, my keyboard nearly got a cupful of tea reading that! I suppose an Ibrox equivalent of "In the Black & Tannies" just isn't in the same class. OTOH they could bring in Govan's most famous resident Rab C for a version of "Go Vest"

MadMac

Post by MadMac » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:18 pm

Up next: Morton's starting 11 at Hamilton on the last day of the season will give a rousing rendition of "The Cry Was No Defender". They will be ably backed by the cast of numerous Bollywood films who will chorus "We'll Guard Old Delhi's Walls". Over at Parkhead, the re-formed surviving members of the Hitler Youth will sing "Heil! Heil! The Celts Are Here", joined by Jon Daly in tribute to his Grandfather Glen....

MadMac

Post by MadMac » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:22 pm

On a more serious note: This actually aired in the US. Seriously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whV13-uWp68

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:33 pm

MadMac wrote: Over at Parkhead, the re-formed surviving members of the Hitler Youth will sing "Heil! Heil! The Celts Are Here", joined by Jon Daly in tribute to his Grandfather Glen....
Should that not be GERRY Daly?

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:08 am

Stuart McCall & the Easybeats.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:05 am

Scottish wrote:
Should that not be GERRY Daly?

Naw, definitely Glen, the man who, when he recorded the live version of 'The Celtic Song' in his seminal LP "Live at the Ashfield club", sang: "We don't care if we win, lose or draw"; Aye Right!!

If you think the Blessed Sydney Devine is a bad singer - compared to Glen Daly 'Steak and Kidney' is Pavarotti.
Snuff

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:22 pm

I meant Gerry instead of Jon, not Glen. Gerry fits much better with Heil, Heil.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:30 pm

Of course no Sydney cover version can ever hold a candle to the original but a particularly bad example is his squawking of "Tiny Bubbles" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9-X2BQioSI compared to the original from Don Ho - Hawaii's Dean Martin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlCiDEXuxxA

And don't get me started on "May The Bird Of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose." I still have nightmares forty years on after watching Steak & Kidney perform it at the Killie Club replete in a yellow, budgie-hugging, cowboy outfit.

Then again he is a supporter of a cowboy outfit so it makes sense, i suppose.