Commonwealth Games

The place to discuss Scottish football
Snuff

Re: Commonwealth Games

Post by Snuff » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:43 pm

Scottish wrote:
Then again he is a supporter of a cowboy outfit so it makes sense, i suppose.

Naughty, very naughty - but also very funny.

I hesitate to admit, I once heard, without knowing who the singers were, two versions of 'I'd Be A Legend In My Time'. I said I preferred version 2 - which was by Sydney. Version 1 was the original, by Roy Orbison.

Big Reddie time.
Snuff

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:37 pm

The original was neither. It's a Don Gibson song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnFvhDmuImQ Though Roy Orbison is hard to top.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:03 am

I live and learn; I always thought it was a Big O number.

I still like Sydney's version, however.

But, that's popular Scottish culture, I seem to remember, back in the 1950s, the Sunday Mail held a competition to discover "Scotland's Tommy Steele" - as I recall, Sydney won it, with Alex Harvey second.

Just as well John Barrowman wasn't around!!!
Snuff

Vasco

Post by Vasco » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:41 am

I've got a DVD of Little Jimmy Dickens singing the original version of "May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose".

Went to the boxing at SECC yesterday and was appalled at the level of security involved. It was the same as the airport. I have two metal knees and a metal hip which obviously set the scanner off. Despite telling the the guy this, I had to take my shoes off and go back through. Total overkill!

Incidentally, shove a few bob on Andrew Moloney, the next opponent for Reece McFadden, to win the gold. Currently 7/2.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:26 pm

Vasco wrote:I've got a DVD of Little Jimmy Dickens singing the original version of "May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose".
At 93, the oldest living member of the Grand Ole Opry. Even tweeting this week. @LilJimDickens

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:13 pm

Snuff wrote:I live and learn; I always thought it was a Big O number.

I still like Sydney's version, however.

But, that's popular Scottish culture, I seem to remember, back in the 1950s, the Sunday Mail held a competition to discover "Scotland's Tommy Steele" - as I recall, Sydney won it, with Alex Harvey second.

Just as well John Barrowman wasn't around!!!
To be fair to Sydney he does have one advantage over Alex Harvey in that to the best of my knowledge he has never recorded a Nazi anthem!

Don Gibson, though a good singer in his own right, had a track record of writing songs made famous by others, notably "I Can't Stop Loving You" (Ray Charles) & "Sweet Dreams" (Patsy Cline). Others like "Oh, Lonesome Me," "Lonesome Number One," & "Sea Of Heartbreak" were covered by hundreds of singers. Roy Orbison once released an album titled "Roy Orbison Sings Don Gibson." About as fine a tribute as you could get.

Aten

Post by Aten » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:57 pm

scottish wrote:To be fair to Sydney he does have one advantage over Alex Harvey in that to the best of my knowledge he has never recorded a Nazi anthem!
Don’t recall Alex Harvey recording a Nazi anthem unless it was either a send-up or irony. However he was clearly a student of the terracing. The fade out on side one of the LP “Impossible Dream” contains the ditty – “I knew it was time to say good-bye, when I felt that warmth upon my thigh. Hey! Is that you p*ssing on my leg…..”.

MadMac

Post by MadMac » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:16 am

Aten wrote:
scottish wrote:To be fair to Sydney he does have one advantage over Alex Harvey in that to the best of my knowledge he has never recorded a Nazi anthem!
Don’t recall Alex Harvey recording a Nazi anthem unless it was either a send-up or irony.
Tomorrow Belongs To Me.

Gordon Baird

Post by Gordon Baird » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:07 am

Strange kind of Nazi anthem, written by two Jewish blokes in the late 1960's for 'Cabaret'.

Aten

Post by Aten » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:05 pm

MadMac wrote:Tomorrow Belongs To Me.
It would appear that its orgins lie in a German folk song which pre-dates the Nazi regime and later hi-jacked by the Hitler Youth. No doubt ignorant of its original sentiments, they focused on a few lines taken out of context. Later, on the strength of its exposure and portrayal in “Cabaret”, ultra right wing rock bands with typical clueless relish adopted it.

As for Alex Harvey, I doubt he saw no more than a send up of a song that the band did several times with other songs from musicals such as “Impossible Dream” and “Dancing Cheek to Cheek”. The send-ups often lost via the LP recording but vividly apparent in live performance. Certainly in their lifetime as a band they never showed any inclination towards right wing politics.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:57 pm

Gordon Baird wrote:Strange kind of Nazi anthem, written by two Jewish blokes in the late 1960's for 'Cabaret'.
I never knew that. I always assumed it was a genuine 1930s tune. Particularly as it was sung away from the nightclub setting and introduced in such dramatic fashion. Also, because much of the musical remained true to Christopher Isherwood's 'Goodbye to Berlin', even keeping the fictional names he created for real people.

Whatever, I recall a big stooshie in the music press (in the days when I was young enough to buy the music papers) at the time of its release by the SAHB with claims made on the band's behalf that it was an 'ironic' statement. If so, it was an irony lost on many, if not most. The song itself is definitely associated with Neo-Nazism, recorded most infamously in the UK by the pro-National Front band Skrewdriver and more recently by the Swedish singer Saga who was referenced favourably by Anders Breivik less than two hours before he slaughtered almost eighty people in bomb blasts in Oslo and the island of Utøya.

If the SAHB had wanted to avoid any hint of ambiguity about their choice of music (at a time when the NF was gaining support) and wanted a song written by a Jewish guy for a musical, maybe Mel Brooks' "Springtime For Hitler" would have been more appropriate.

I also can't recall the SAHB taking part in any Rock Against Racism events though that maybe a wrong recollection on my part.

IMO it would have been better all round if he'd stuck to what he was good at. "Delilah," now THERE's a cover version.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:46 am

Scottish wrote:
"Delilah," now THERE's a cover version.

Aye - No Bad; almost as good a cover version as Joe Cocker's 'With a Little Help From My Friends', or Jerry Lee Lewis doing 'Me And Bobbie McGee'.

But, arguably the best Scottish cover ever was Billy Connolly's version of 'Oh Boy', although it was, in truth, parody.
Snuff

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:57 am

Snuff wrote:Jerry Lee Lewis doing 'Me And Bobbie McGee'.
A song that's been covered many times, some good, some very good and the occasional bad but Jerry Lee Lewis as the best? I can only assume you've never heard Janis Joplin's.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:48 pm

Scottish wrote:
I can only assume you've never heard Janis Joplin's.

Wrong assumption David. I have heard the Joplin version; always thought it was over-rated.

Trouble with you younger lads - you don't really get the true KIng of Rock 'n' Roll.
Snuff

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:56 pm

Snuff wrote: Wrong assumption David. I have heard the Joplin version; always thought it was over-rated.

Trouble with you younger lads - you don't really get the true KIng of Rock 'n' Roll.
Can't agree. And while Lewis was good, I wouldn't put him higher than Elvis, Chuck Berry or Buddy Holly. Though admittedly he typified Southern values - interbreeding with under-age relatives.