Commonwealth Games

The place to discuss Scottish football
Snuff

Re: Commonwealth Games

Post by Snuff » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:10 pm

Scottish wrote:
Though admittedly he typified Southern values - interbreeding with under-age relatives.

Aye, if ever a man was born to play Auchinleck Community Centre, it was "The Killer".

And, speaking of Auchinleck, there is the legend of a very young David Bowie being booked to play Auchinleck working Men's Club, walking in and being asked: "Haw son, can youse back a guy whit plays the spins"?
Snuff

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:16 pm

Legendary Gene Vincent playing a Motherwell nitery(eh?) was being heckled when the MC strode onto the stage & demanded of the audience,"Haw, c`moan gie ra cripple a chancst!)

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:25 am

Was there any crowds published for the Hampden sessions?

Having been at the Monday and Tuesday morning sessions - which were full - I'm guessing that there might have been as many as 400,000 rocked up to Hampden for the week of the games.

It was a great athletics stadium.
It's the Hope I can't stand

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:03 pm

Snuff wrote:Trouble with you younger lads - you don't really get the true KIng of Rock 'n' Roll.
Coming back to this, I just remembered that I was the first person to pre-order the Jerry Lee Lewis London Sessions double album in John Menzies in Kilmarnock. My god, he had some backing. Rory Gallagher, Peter Frampton, Albert Lee, Alvin Lee, Delaney Bramlett, Gary Wright, Tony Ashton, Chas Hodges, Klaus Voorman, Kenny Jones and most impressive of all for a 17-year-old, Thunderthighs.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:22 pm

Snuff wrote:

Aye - No Bad; almost as good a cover version as Joe Cocker's 'With a Little Help From My Friends', or Jerry Lee Lewis doing 'Me And Bobbie McGee'.

But, arguably the best Scottish cover ever was Billy Connolly's version of 'Oh Boy', although it was, in truth, parody.
If you ever get the chance to see this girl, grab it http://brandicarlile.com She's on in London this Thursday and Friday but, unfortunately, tickets are sold out. Does a belting, Joplin-style version of 'Me and Bobbie McGhee' among others. Terrific acapella 'Amazing Grace' and just to prove she can tone it down a bit, a superb rendition of 'Blue Eyes Cryin' In The Rain.' Gutted to miss out this time.

For a Buddy Holly cover you won't get better than this. Better than the original I think in that it takes what is essentially a sad song done far too upbeat by the man himself and turns it into the mournful number it should always have been.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfMNnZL-YuM