Euro qualification - what happens now?

The place to discuss Scottish football
the hibLOG

Euro qualification - what happens now?

Post by the hibLOG » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:25 am

Seems to be some uncertainty about the permutations.

If Hearts win the Cup and finish second in the league, Hearts go into the Champions League 15th qualifying round division 4B round robin play-off, Gretna are in the UEFA Cup, and the other UEFA place goes to 3rd in the league - yes?

If Hearts win the Cup but finish 3rd in the league, they go into the UEFA Cup by virtue of their cup win, 4th place in the league gets the other UEFA Cup place and Gretna get Cup runners-up medals and a few more spiteful articles in the press. Am I still on track?

So, do Hibs and Killie have something to fight about still (great result last night byraway :wink: ), do we really have to support the Huns for the rest of the season, and is there really no way I can support Gretna on May 14? 'S'no fair!
Fraser

Killiehippo

Post by Killiehippo » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:55 pm

You're absolutely spot on mate apart from one thing...........it wasn't a great result last night :(

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Euro qualification - what happens now?

Post by Scottish » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:56 pm

the hibLOG wrote: is there really no way I can support Gretna on May 14? 'S'no fair!
You can cheer them all you like then.

The Final's on the 13th :)

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:05 pm

Does that mean that Hibs, Aberdeen and Killie need to lose to Rangers to have any hope of qualifying for Europe?

Mental this split I tell ye.
It's the Hope I can't stand

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:58 am

bobby s wrote:Does that mean that Hibs, Aberdeen and Killie need to lose to Rangers to have any hope of qualifying for Europe?

Mental this split I tell ye.
So it is. On day one of the run-in we have to hope we beat Celtic while rooting for the Huns to pump the Sheep and Hearts to beat Killie, leaving us no better off regarding Hearts' and Rangers' league positions, but seeing damage done to our rivals. On day two we have to beat Hearts and hope that Rangers win at Parkhead (aye, right). A draw at Pittodrie or even a home win over Killie would suit us too.

On day three we would have to at least draw at Pittodrie, while hoping for a Celtic victory at Tynecastle (mmm, close one that) and a Huns victory at Kilmarnock (Kris Boyd hat trick anyone?) That would put Rangers three points ahead of Hearts and give us at least a seven point cushion over Aberdeen and Killie with only six to play for, so we would finish fourth whatever.

If we rolled over to Rangers it could take it down to goal difference at Tynecastle on the last day. Not that I would suggest such a thing of course. :twisted: And anyway, the likelihood of us beating Celtic and Hearts, and winning at Pittodrie is more than a little on the slim side. Unfortunately I can see us having to win at Kilmarnock on the last day to salvage fourth place. And I could also see Hearts easily winning four out of their last five games :(
Fraser

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:50 am

No, no, no, no no. You have this all wrong :twisted: The correct way to approach top six post-split fixtures is thus:

Apr 15/16. Rangers v Aberdeen and Celtic v Hibs. Be true to your principles and go for the OF to both get gubbed Take Killie to hump Hearts at Tynecastle - a result to warm any Hibby's - ahem- heart.

Apr 22/23 See Calderwood's tan drain away as Killie win at Pittodrie Neutrality in Edinburgh and Glasgow derbies is boring. Go for the two teams in green.

Apr 29/30. The sight of an ashen-faced Calderwood is too much. A win over Hibs will cheer him up on his way to the tanning salon. Remember Lithuania's controversial win against Scotland and settle for some ersatz revenge as Strachan's side beats Vald's/Vlad's. Obviously Killie to beat Rangers with a Boyd OG.

May 2/3 Remember how rotten the Hibs fans were to McLeish and opt for a great big GIRFUY from the "GJ" on his last visit to Easter Road. Make it double Edinburgh misery with the Dons pumping Hearts. Take Killie to gain revenge for rotten linesmanship with a first win at Parkhead since Noah left at half-time because it was getting a bit too wet.

May 7th. Aberdeen v Celtic has 0-0 written all over it. So does Rangersv Hearts. Rugby Park provides plenty of entertainment as Killie run up a cricket score v Hibs, leaving the final table thus (if I've worked it out correctly):

Celtic 92
Killie 66
Hearts 66
Rangers 66
Hibs 58
Aberdeen 58

So Kilmarnock take the second CL spot, Hearts edge Rangers for the UEFA Cup, Hibs will qualify via the Intertoto.

Gretna then beat Hearts in the Scottish Cup Final to qualify for Europe. Rangers are out but David Murray ensures UEFA Cup football at Ibrox for Le Guen to watch when he hires out Ibrox for Gretna v FK Icelandicsidewithlotsofksandfunnysquigglesthroughtheos.

Easy.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:04 pm

Another thought. Why should Aberdeen have 20 home games while Hibs and Killie have only 19?

OK, this crazy split means this kind of thing happens from time to time. But which clever sod thought 'right, both Aberdeen and Killie have played 19 at home, they must face each other in the final five games, two of the previous three have been at Pittodrie and one at Rugby Park, so in the interests of fairness all round we'll take the fourth game to Aberdeen'

It's a crazy, crazy, crazy week. Coming on top of UEFA's 'bigotry's ok if you've been practicing it for ages' resolution and yet another crucial official mistake in a match v the OF I wonder why the hell I bothered coming back.

Oh, wait, I remember. It's to see how the SPL decide which of the OF to relegate for breaching FIFA guidelines on racism and sectarianism. Personally, I'm not bothered. Toss a coin to send one down in 2006-07 and the other the year after.