CLUB COLOURS

The place to discuss Scottish football
LEATHERSTOCKING

CLUB COLOURS

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:39 pm

Now that clubs have to sell as many jerseys as they can, most now turn out @ away games in pretty god awful ensembles. Sorry David, but Killie`s "away" gear is dreadful - peely-wally is the word which springs to mind. Mind you, I`m thankful that Queen`s "IRN-BRU" electric blue & orange kit (actually sore on the eyes) has been abandoned. My vote for the worst strip is still the Arabs` tangerine & black. Tangerine & black ?!!!!!! Who the hell thinks that`s an attractive combination ? Next must be Livingston`s abortion - dire. Any chance of Rangers just stopping pretending & just sewing 11 Union flags together ? Anyway, can anyone tell me when Celtic vs. Hibs was last played with both clubs wearing their registered 1st strips ?

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:58 pm

I don't think Hibs had an official change strip of any description prior to the purple Bukta job which was introduced in ?1977? Even then though, the only team they might sensibly have worn it against was Celtic, and in January 1980 when George Best scored at Easter Road against them, both teams were wearing their normal green strips.

In 1985 when the sides met twice in the two cup competitions at Easter Road Celtic wore a plain change strip and I can't think of any occasions since then when neither has changed. So sometime in the early 80s I guess is the last time they both wore their own strips.
Fraser

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:44 pm

The last one I've physically seen on DVD, illegal of course, was Hibs 4 Celtic 3 Scottish Cup in 1986.

But, when I think of it, Hibs adidas strips ran up until 1991-1992, and were just negatives [white with green sleeves] of the home kit or all white. I dinnae remember Hibs ever wearing them in games against Celtic, so photies from 1991-1992 could provide a definitive answer: if Celtic didnae wear their away strips at home.

As an aside, is it no supposed to be the home team that changes, or did I dream that rule? Has it ever been in place?

In 1992/1993 we had a purple away kit, which I seem to remember we started wearing at Parkhead, and continued up until 1997/1998.
It's the Hope I can't stand

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:23 pm

bobby s wrote:As an aside, is it no supposed to be the home team that changes, or did I dream that rule? Has it ever been in place?
That always USED to be the case. On the simple grounds that it was far more likely for the home side to lay their hands on another strip, especially if the away side only brought one with them.

Killiehippo

Post by Killiehippo » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:33 pm

Leatherstocking, you may be in for a bigger shock shortly when Killie launch their new away kit - luminous yellow :shock:

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:59 pm

Aw, naw ! Gie`s a brek. What IS it about kit manufacturers & yellow ? Yellow with blue shorts. Pure boggin` Morton had a luminous lemon strip in the 60s. Arsenal had a change strip in the 50s of yellow with white sleeves & every tom, dick & harry wears yellow. Now, black & white 1" hoops = classic.
If the clubs love their "away" strips so much that they even wear them in Cup Finals, how come they rush to change ito their "normal" outfit for the presentations & photies ?

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:57 pm

What is it about soccer stars who have to wear polo shirts with long sleeves under their jerseys & cycling shorts under their knickers & gloves for their chilblained fingers ? Are they really puir wee cowering timorous beasties ? Why don`t the clubs get overcoats & natty titfers for them in club colours ? Hey, there`s a new merchandising ploy for them ! On the subject of gloves, who`s going to be the first netminder to have mitts the size of the goal ?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:15 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote: Why don`t the clubs get overcoats & natty titfers for them in club colours ? Hey, there`s a new merchandising ploy for them ! ?
In the early 20th century King Tailors of Kilmarnock ran an 'overcoats for goals' competition which won Andy Cunningham several wardrobes worth of coats as well as winning coats for spectators.

When the defence moaned that the competition offered them little chance the company offered the entire defence a coat each if they kept a clean sheet in a match v Third Lanark.

The game ended up 0-0.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:57 am

Found this picture from April 1990 from my own website :roll: which shows Celtic and Hibs in traditional green (I ken it's b&w but you know what I mean):

I'm sure a game I was at the following season at ER had them in the same strips. Going to have a look at the Scotsman site to see if it sheds any more light.

BTW, Hibs' fluorescent yellow change number from a few years back was one of their best sellers was it not?
Fraser

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:30 am

Apparently in the early 50s, Queen`s players wore white gloves in especially cold weather which Bob Crampsey said made them look as if they were off to a dinner dance.