Greatest Games your side has been invloved with?

The place to discuss Scottish football
Sat31March1928

Greatest Games your side has been invloved with?

Post by Sat31March1928 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:26 pm

Here's my selection of some of the greatest games Hearts have played in

The only Final played outside Galsgow

HEART OF MID-LOTHIAN 3 v HIBERNIANS 1 - Scottish Cup Final 1896

One of the 'Top 5' Finals Ever - The 'Bobby Walker Final of 1901'

HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN 4 CELTIC 3

And a 11 goal classic from 1968 Dundee U 5 Hearts 6

Of Defeats 3 immediately spring to mind.

Hibs greatest Victory over their local rivals and greatest single handed performance

17 year old Joe Baker scores 4

Killie Joy in 65

And another 3-4 classic

Rangers 4 Hearts 3

Of Draws It's not over until 94th and 95th minutes

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/mrep/2003010201.htm
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Gersman

Post by Gersman » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:44 pm

Great idea for a thread and some really good links. Very fair-minded of you to include defeats as well as victories. I can think of three occasions in recent years that have been great Rangers victories but not necessarily great performances.

May 22nd this year at Easter Road though in fairness the title was won for us by Scott MacDonald's goals at Fir Park :lol:

Two years ago in the 'shoot-out' when we beat Dunfermline 6-1 to win the league by a solitary goal

And 1997 at Tannadice. A 1-0 win gives Rangers nine in a row.

But better than all those was May 2nd 1999 and winning the league by beating Celtic 3-0 at their midden.

Defeats? The worst was 1979, May 21st at the same place. A draw would have done and we were 1-0 up, playing against ten men, went 2-1 down came back to 2-2 then lost two goals and the league title in the last five minutes.

It wasn't just losing the league in those circumstances, it was the knock-on effects. It was downhill after that for the next seven seasons until Souness came in as manager.

And I suppose I'd better mention Berwick and Hamilton in the Scottish Cup as real low points too.

:cry:
Fifty one and counting

Lichtie Me

Post by Lichtie Me » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:07 pm

Hi everybody. I've just signed up but it's safe to say nobody can beat this claim. The world record scorers for a single game are the Red Lichties
36-0 STILL the world record

LEATHERSTOCKING

ARBROATH`S 36

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:08 pm

Who else got a look in in the goal stakes for the Red Lichties when they won 36-0 ?

Level_Par

Post by Level_Par » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:19 pm

April 27th 1968 at Hampden Park. The day the Pars won the Scottish Cup for the second time. I can remember this one but not the 1961 win. And the next season was tremendous too when we reached the semi-finals of the Cup Winners Cup. There's a lot of detail in the Pars Database website

Worst? There were plenty to choose from in the 1970s and 1980s. Watching a struggling team in front of a few hundred diehards on a cold, wet midweek in November wasn't much fun.

Lisbon67

Post by Lisbon67 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:25 pm

I had to think long and hard about this. Let's see, ooohh, maybe 25th May 1967 in Lisbon? :lol:

Though Seville was nearly up there as well.

Worst? 22nd May 2005 Fir Park. Less said the better

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:52 pm

Lisbon67 wrote:I had to think long and hard about this. Let's see, ooohh, maybe 25th May 1967 in Lisbon? :lol:
I would rate that as the greatest single achievement by a Scottish Club. As an 8 year old I remeber being alowed to open my brother's tins of Export using that piercing device.

Followed by Rangers and Aberdeen in the CWC.

The most epic would be the 2 SF Legs against Leeds in 1970, only to be 'let down' by the defeat to Feyenord in the Final. Little did we really realise how good Dutch football was at the time.

In a wider context the L Cup wins of

Partick Thistle's win in 1971
Raith Rovers in 1994

Hamilton beating Rangers at Ibrox in the Scottish Cup

Dundee United eventually winning the Scottish Cup

will rank as some the greatest days in their History. Though probably don't really register as 'worst' ones for OF fans as they're not losing out to their greatest rivals.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:02 pm

Got to agree with Celtic's European Cup win as the best achievement by any club side. I even took the night off the cubs to watch it!

The Rangers and Aberdeen CWC wins were excellent achievements too but not in the same class as the big cup. Also Dundee United reaching the UEFA Cup Final in the days when teams that finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th in Spain, Italy and Germany all entered that competition. Beating Barcelona and Munchengladbach was magnificent.

Agree re Thistle and Raith's League Cup wins as major shocks but for me Berwick beating Rangers was the biggest of all, more so than Caley Thistle at Parkhead.

Great Killie games. Tynecastle 65 obviously but probably the best match I've ever seen was the same season v Eintracht. Our first ever European tie and coming back from four down against a side that had been in the European Cup Final four years previously was the stuff of dreams. Also reaching the semis of the Fairs Cup in 1967. We were actually disappointed not to beat Leeds in the last four.

Lest I sound too much like a BOF three more recent games stick out. May 24th 1997 at Ibrox, winning the Scottish Cup for the first time in 68 years and two matches that for a non-fan would be tedious 0-0 draws. Home v Hamilton in 1993 which clinched promotion to the Premier after a ten years absence and another 0-0 a year later at Easter Road which kept us up.

Downers? Usually when we've gone down it's been apparent well before the end of the season but there are two real sickeners. Against Falkirk in 1973 when we had to equal whatever result Dumbarton got to stay up. 2-0 up at half-time. The Sons led 2-1. We were two goals to the good. They scored twice more in the second half and we let two in to draw 2-2 and go down after 19 years. Then away to QOS 1989. Killie won 6-0 and it looked like we had escaped the drop into the Second Division. Then Clyde scored a penalty in the 97th minute against St Johnstone and we were relegated by one goal.

That's depressed me enough to not even think about mentioning recent cup ties v Ayr :cry:

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:31 pm

I don`t know ! You youngsters banging on about your side`s greatest games when they`re all so recent. One of the greatest games I ever saw was when we beat Aston Villa 6-1 in the English Cup 1st Round Proper. January 19th 1884 it was and we weren`t even @ Hampden. We`d temporarily shifted over to the Clydesdale`s cricket ground and it was a cold, cold day but Dr.Smith banged in a hat-trick and sent proud Villa homeward to think again. Queen`s then went right through to the Final that year and I went down with the lads fully expecting a great win but the referee was a right "homer" & disallowed a prefectly good Spiders` goal and another because our boys didn`t "claim" it like they did down there in cricket and Blackburn bloody Rovers won 2-1. Cheated out of it we were. We`d won the Scottish Cup so missed out on a unique double. The worst I watched was probably the 3-2 defeat from Battlefield the following season in the Scottish Cup. Battlefield was virtually Queen`s feeder club and home for Spiders who weren`t quite good enough - and it was @ Hampden !!!!! Best I ever saw ? Well the happiest was the 6-1 shallacking Scotland gave the white shirted might of the master race @ Kennington Oval back in `81. Good ol` Doc Smith smashed in another hat-trick. What a night we had !! All together now, "Kennington Oval, Kennington Oval, We`re the famous tartan army & we`re going to the Kennington Oval !"

tomforsyth

Post by tomforsyth » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:39 pm

hibs 1 rangers 1 march 29 1975 colin stein equalised to clinch the title for the 1st time in 10 years. magic

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:09 pm

Well the best game I was ever at was Sheffield United 5 Brighton 4 in about 1989.

Sheff U race into a 3-0 lead, Brian Deane and Ian Bryson [ex of Killie] in the goals.

Brighton come back to lead 4-3, Kevin Bremner [brother of Des, and ex of Dundee] scoring twice, possibly three.

Sheffield United come back to win 5-4.

I was 19 then. I doubt I'll see that again if I live to 119.

But, I wasnae even a Sheff U fan, just a good weekend, as I Follow The Mackems

Hibs wise, 1986 Scottish Cup Quarter.

Hibs O Celtic 1
Hibs 1 Celtic 1
Hibs 1 Celtic 2
Hibs 2 Celtic 2
Hibs 3 Celtic 2
Hibs 3 Celtic 3
Hibs 4 Celtic 3 last minute winner by Eddie May.

One of only two times we've beaten Celtic in the Scottish Cup. I'm sure our learned Hearts statto can tell you other.
It's the Hope I can't stand

Lisbon67

Post by Lisbon67 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:18 pm

You must be the only Mackem that thinks big Mogga walks on water :lol:

Scottish
Site Admin

FAO Bobby S

Post by Scottish » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:28 pm

Mention of Bryson reminds me of a cousin of mine who lives in Sheffield and follows Wednesday on the scientific basis that "they play in blue and white stripes"

He told me that Bryson was well thought of at Bramall Lane.

You're a Mackem, eh? I'm a Boro boy myself when it comes to English teams so let's just agree Newcastle are rubbish, OK?

I was at Roker Park when they won promotion to the First Division when Bob Stokoe was the manager. It was an Easter Monday and there must have been close to 60,000 there

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:12 am

bobby s wrote: One of only two times we've beaten Celtic in the Scottish Cup. I'm sure our learned Hearts statto can tell you other.
Here's the other one

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:29 am

Though you 'beat' them 2-0 in 1894

Hibs 2 Celtic 0

Page 2

Celtic Appeal

Celtic Appeal

Celtic Appeal

Guess how the voting went. Plus ca change.