Greatest Games your side has been invloved with?

The place to discuss Scottish football
Lichtie Me

Post by Lichtie Me » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:00 am

'Twas ever thus. Arbroath once beat Rangers in the Scottish Cup and they complained about the size of the pitch. A replay was ordered which they won.
36-0 STILL the world record

Killiehippo

Post by Killiehippo » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:22 pm

Davie - all great games and the cup win will take some beating but I'm delighted you mentioned the 0-0 draw at Easter Road. It may not have been the best game ever but is probably the most important game in recent history. It was our first season back up and with league reconstruction three teams were going down. Around 6000 Killie fans chewed fingernails for 90 minutes and the scenes at the end were unforgettable. I remember celebrating that night just as much as I did in 1997 and that's a lot of lager! It goes without saying that if we had been relegated that day we would have struggled to come back up. That was the platform for us staying in the SPL for 12 years, winning the cup and going to Europe on several occasions. Great memories.

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:44 pm

Here's a game that in the end didn't matter that much. But end to end attacking football. And Killie probably had the better of the game.

Sun 23 Nov 1997 Hearts 5 Kilmarnock 3
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:01 pm

Sat31March1928 wrote:Here's a game that in the end didn't matter that much. But end to end attacking football. And Killie probably had the better of the game.

Sun 23 Nov 1997 Hearts 5 Kilmarnock 3
Was that delightful female organ Moonface Williamson in charge of Killie then?

Edit. Like the word substitution :wink:
It's the Hope I can't stand

Scottish
Site Admin

Three-in-one reply

Post by Scottish » Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:43 am

Hippo: Yes, highly significant match. Had it been lost then it was relegation and more likelihood of going the same way as Morton, Ayr and Thistle than of coming back up as that was an ageing team. Plus, while things are tough nowadays financially, imagine how much harder it would have been back then for a 1st division side locked into a commitment to build an all-seater stadium.

The bulldozers were already in at Rugby Park and the rebuild had to go ahead regardless of status. The only thing that marred the day for me was Burns and Stark down on their knees and kissing the jerseys at the end then both vanishing to Parkhead a month later.

Sat31: Aye, that was some game. I think the Daily Record's Monday stats showed it had something like thirty-odd shots on goal.

Bobby S: There are very few words actually banned here but you might have some fun finding them out! I thought if I inserted a suitable alternative phrase that would be better than just a string of ****s which is what you usually see.

Some sites go overboard a bit with this. There are places where you have to write @rsenal rather than Arsenal and Scunthorpe comes out as S****horpe.

If people want to swear then they'll find a way round it - usually by using terms from 'Father Ted' or 'Chewin The Fat.' I've no objections to swearing as such - context and meaning are more important than actual words - but one or two words which may cause offence are on the banned list.

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:31 pm

There's a newspaper article by a friend of mine on this:

let me find it:

I can't find it. procreative act it was on www.scotsman.com once. It mentioned mass hibsteria and the hibees bounce because of our erm unique word substitution policies :)

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:02 pm

Aye aye, enough wi yer sweary words...

Back to the question in hand, I'd agree with the 86 Scottish Cup quarter against Celtic, Bobby, the more so because after the 4-4 penalties win in the League Cup earlier the same season it was like lightning striking the same spot twice.

Honourable mention for the AEK game - although I wasn't there it was definitely a bit of a spine tingler. I watched both legs on Greek ppv tv in some wee Greek restaurant in Camden Town with about a hundred other London Hibs who took the place over for the two nights, much to the manager's surprise (and his accountant's delight).

Another honourable mention for the Skol Cup semi against Rangers in 91 which seemed more of an achievement than winning the cup itself. Years later I spoke to Richard Gough at the Liverpool Echo awards do and cheekily got his autograph for my mate (who hates him) telling him I was a Hibby and the greatest tribute I could pay him was that he wasn't playing at Hampden that night.
Fraser

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:33 pm

Magic and knowledgeable gadgies here Fraser, you'll like it.

Jimmy Superscot

Post by Jimmy Superscot » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:12 am

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:I don`t know ! You youngsters banging on about your side`s greatest games when they`re all so recent. One of the greatest games I ever saw was when we beat Aston Villa 6-1 in the English Cup 1st Round Proper. January 19th 1884 it was and we weren`t even @ Hampden. We`d temporarily shifted over to the Clydesdale`s cricket ground and it was a cold, cold day but Dr.Smith banged in a hat-trick and sent proud Villa homeward to think again. Queen`s then went right through to the Final that year and I went down with the lads fully expecting a great win but the referee was a right "homer" & disallowed a prefectly good Spiders` goal and another because our boys didn`t "claim" it like they did down there in cricket and Blackburn bloody Rovers won 2-1. Cheated out of it we were. We`d won the Scottish Cup so missed out on a unique double. The worst I watched was probably the 3-2 defeat from Battlefield the following season in the Scottish Cup. Battlefield was virtually Queen`s feeder club and home for Spiders who weren`t quite good enough - and it was @ Hampden !!!!! Best I ever saw ? Well the happiest was the 6-1 shallacking Scotland gave the white shirted might of the master race @ Kennington Oval back in `81. Good ol` Doc Smith smashed in another hat-trick. What a night we had !! All together now, "Kennington Oval, Kennington Oval, We`re the famous tartan army & we`re going to the Kennington Oval !"
Quality post mate! Haven't laughed so much for a long time!