FAMOUS FIVE

The place to discuss Scottish football
Scottish
Site Admin

FAMOUS FIVE

Post by Scottish » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:06 am

"Snuff's" far too modest to mention it but he's written a great article in today's 'Scotsman' about the "Famous Five." http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/ ... -1-3672506

bobby s

Re: FAMOUS FIVE

Post by bobby s » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:21 am

Thoroughly enjoyed that :)
It's the Hope I can't stand

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:59 am

Scottish wrote:
"Snuff's" far too modest to mention it but he's written a great article in today's 'Scotsman' about the "Famous Five."

Thanks David, glad you enjoyed it: I had great fun researching and writing it; some of the stuff I dug up amazed me.

I particularly enjoyed finding out about that Hibs v Aberdeen League Cup tie. It shows stupid scheduling is nothing new in Scottish football. At that time in the early fifties, given the poor state of Scotland's main roads - surely there could be no "neutral venue" for a Hibs v Aberdeen cup replay but Dens Park - so, the Scottish League decrees it has to be played at Ibrox, on a Monday afternoon. It defied logic.

But, to pull-in 52,000, shows what a draw that forward line was. Mind you, the Aberdeen team, with Fred Martin, Davie Shaw, Alec Young, Archie Glen, "Benny" Yorston 2, George Hamilton, Archie Baird and Tommy Pearson wasn't a bad team. Then, when still level, after extra time, to have to replay again, 24-hours later - amazing.

The real mark of their quality, however, was their record against the Old Firm - one defeat in 19 games. Even the Scottish referees must have been fans!!!
Snuff

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:56 pm

Here's what I did on the

'Famous Five' vs 'Terrible Trio'

http://londonhearts.com/scores/misc/ttvsff.html

I'll need to do an updated version to include 'East Of Scotland Shield' games as well.
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:39 pm

Snuff wrote:I particularly enjoyed finding out about that Hibs v Aberdeen League Cup tie. It shows stupid scheduling is nothing new in Scottish football. At that time in the early fifties, given the poor state of Scotland's main roads - surely there could be no "neutral venue" for a Hibs v Aberdeen cup replay but Dens Park - so, the Scottish League decrees it has to be played at Ibrox, on a Monday afternoon. It defied logic.
Even by train, which a sizeable number of people would have used in preference to road, it's a mad proposition. There must have been quite a few locals in that 52,000 crowd. That crowd in itself doesn't justify the choice of Ibrox at a time when Dens held 40,000.

Incidentally, apart from cup finals, what are the highest attendances for neutral ties in Glasgow - i.e. not involving either of the Gruesome Twosome?
Fraser

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:38 pm

I'd say it was 98,208 for the Scottish Cup semi-final between Motherwell and Hearts on Mar 29th 1952. There were 80,141 at the replay nine days later and 60,290 for the second replay two days after that. All three were at Hampden. I suspect there would have been an awful lot of Grannies buried that week.