Finger On The Pulse

The place to discuss Scottish football
Scottish
Site Admin

Finger On The Pulse

Post by Scottish » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:58 am

The Herald is bang up to date with what's happening in Scottish football. How refreshing to read an article about Ian McCall and Ayr United amidst all the usual Old Firm guff in today's online edition.
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/foo ... .115887777

The only thing slightly askew is that the match in question - Ayr's trip to Brechin - happened exactly ONE MONTH ago, Jan 10th.

lbb

Re: Finger On The Pulse

Post by lbb » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:16 am

I didn't know Ian was back in the game.

I sort of knew him a while back - a friend of a friend - but haven't heard from him in years. He sometimes had a hectic lifestyle and I hope he settles down now.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:44 pm

The Herald group is currently having some staffing problems - basically, at times they barely have enough bodies on duty to put-out the paper.

The management are cutting costs all over the place, and it is starting to show.

I would suspect, somebody, probably over-worked and stressed, hit the wrong button and the wrong story came up; that one had certainly been used before. It was, as far as I can remember, written by old Spierso.
Snuff

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:33 am

lbb wrote: He sometimes had a hectic lifestyle and I hope he settles down now.
Hectic? I'll say. I once saw him on a flight from Prestwick to Girona the Monday after a game, when Thistle (who he was managing at the time) had a midweek match too. I think he had a bar somewhere over there.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:35 am

Snuff wrote: It was, as far as I can remember, written by old Spierso.
Don't know if he'll thank you for the old but he'll be relieved that you're apparently the only person in Scottish football who doesn't call him 'Britney.'

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:07 pm

scottish wrote:
lbb wrote: He sometimes had a hectic lifestyle and I hope he settles down now.
Hectic? I'll say. I once saw him on a flight from Prestwick to Girona the Monday after a game, when Thistle (who he was managing at the time) had a midweek match too. I think he had a bar somewhere over there.
He had a bar in or near Barcelona called the Celtic Cross whilst he was managing us. No idea if he still does or not.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:22 pm

Skyline Drifter wrote: He had a bar in or near Barcelona called the Celtic Cross whilst he was managing us. No idea if he still does or not.
Sounds a bit KKK to me. I only ever came across two Scottish-sounding bars in Barcelona. One was called the Piper and I forget the other but they were theme bars on the Irish model. There was a regular local bar in the Calle Princesa which was a meeting place for internationals but it got shut down and after that Scobie's (an "Irish" bar) became the pub of choice.