Lugar Boswell Thistle

The place to discuss Scottish football
Snuff

Lugar Boswell Thistle

Post by Snuff » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:07 am

Delighted to report; "The Jaggy Bunnets" have been saved.

Lugar Boswell Thistle seemed set to fold at the end of the season, with long-serving secretary Kenny Young being forced to give-up the role and not enough other committee members to form a quorum.

However, the Cumnock Chronicle reports this week that, at a crisis meeting at Rosebank Park, on Sunday, enough volunteers came forward to keep the old club going, with Boswell stalwart Lauchlan Miller taking over as secretary.

The team against which I judge all others is the Boswell team which played in the 1955-56 Junior Cup Final: Jock Fraser, captain Davie Love, Charlie Cathie, Alex McEwan, Jim Baird, Tom Donnelly, Alex Bingham, Jimmy Collins, Alec Sharpe, Hughie Neil and Eric Wilkie.

What a cup run that was, three games to get past Thorniewood United, another three to beat Beith. Such a pity they were blown away by the Peasie in the final. Mind you, the curse is working, Petershill haven't won the cup since.

So glad the club which invented 2-3-5 is going to carry on.
Snuff

bluedragon

Re: Lugar Boswell Thistle

Post by bluedragon » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:19 am

That's good news Snuff. I had heard of the club's difficulties but I am pleased they have a way forward. The Junior game seems to have lost more clubs than it has gained over the last few years. Ballingry were a casualty during the season this year. In Scotland and in the Junior game the difficulties often tend to be around getting a strong committee. However, the English non-league game is not immune but the causes tend to be more financial with clubs striving to climb the non-league pyramid and having the sustainable financial backing to do so.

I arrived early at a Junior game recently when an elderly gentleman took my gate money. While watching the teams warm up the same gent was putting out the corner flags. Just prior to kick off he was there again collecting the practice balls. At half time he was dealing with the raffle results. At the end of the game he was analysing the game with the regulars! I tend to think that this experience is not unusual around the country.