Researchers Required!

The place to discuss Scottish football
Alan Brown

Researchers Required!

Post by Alan Brown » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:07 pm

Hi All,

Having now taken over the scottishleague.net website from David I wanted to outline my plans for the next few years. As some of you will know from the first book that I published last year, I have began the process of researching Scottish football season by season. As you can imagine this is very time consuming for one person to carry out alone, so I have Brian McColl, Thomas McGouran and David Ross to help with the next book which will cover seasons 1919/20 to 1923/24. This is very helpful as it allows me to redistribute the workload, and I am very grateful for their hep with this project. Looking ahead though, if anyone on here is interested in 'chipping in' by researching a season or two for future books, then I would be very happy to hear from you. My plan was never to be a 'lone wolf' and take all the credit myself, I would prefer a group of fellow researchers got involved. There wouldn't be any monetary gain for anyone involved in the project (including myself), any profits would simply go towards publishing the next book(s). I use a printers in England that does the job reasonably cheaply with a high standard of printing. The main reason I am doing this is to help promote the rich History of Scottish football through the years. If you take England as an example, they did this years ago, with a team of researchers working alongside the AFS to achieve their goals.

After the aforementioned 1919-24 book, the plan is to go way back to the 1890s and start from there. If this gets you excited then please do get in touch.

Alan

Angusfifer

Re: Researchers Required!

Post by Angusfifer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:14 am

I have East Fife line ups, goalscorers and some attendances from 1921 to 1924 that I would be happy to share. I am assuming you are interested in Scottish League stats as opposed to "non-league"?

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:21 am

Feel free to pick out what you require from THE MEN WITH THE EDUCATED FEET & HOW THE CUP WAS WON.

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:38 pm

Alan, I'd like to put myself forward to assist you if I can. I'll pm you for more info and some of my thoughts. Regards Syd

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:39 pm

Thanks for all the responses so far guys, it's much appreciated.

Alan

Partick Thistle

Post by Partick Thistle » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:24 pm

I'd be willing to chip in the PTFC match stats (both team-lines with their commonly used forenames and surnames) if that's of any use (a drop in the ocean I know). My work is of an ongoing nature involving as many match stats as possible with fully transcribed match reports. It's taking years, but I could focus in on your requirements, stage by stage. I pride myself on attention to detail and always investigate the inevitable anomalies until I'm satisfied they're as accurate as they can possibly be.
William

nightfire

Post by nightfire » Sun May 03, 2015 10:03 pm

Whilst I have data on all Celtic matches, I also have a note of most of the Opposition XIs that played in the games v Celtic.

If I can be of any help just let me know and all the best with the project

Gorgiewave

Post by Gorgiewave » Mon May 11, 2015 10:31 pm

Can you give more of an idea of what would be involved or what you would like researchers to do? Is it making a complete list of results or is it writing a narrative account of the season or what?

I'm afraid I've not read your earlier book.

I'd be keen to get involved though I am in Spain and won't be back living in Scotland until early July this year
"He took about half an hour to do it, but he did it!"

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Mon May 11, 2015 10:52 pm

Thanks to everyone that has responded to my request for help with research. My plan would be for anyone interested to take on a season from the years we are working on. This would involve researching the following details for each league, cup and if possible local competitions: date, half times, results, goalscorers, attendances, referees, line-ups as well as details of any players that were sent off. The first names of players would then be added and appearances/goals checked against Steve Emms research. A two page written review of each season as well as details of internationals will also be included. Current research is covering the 1919-1924 period and afterwards we will go back to the start (1890-1900) and this is where the help is needed most! Thanks to the guys that offered to help out with the details of individual clubs, that will be a great contribution.

Alan

Gorgiewave

Post by Gorgiewave » Mon May 11, 2015 11:17 pm

Thanks for that. Do you have a deadline or an estimated date for publishing?
"He took about half an hour to do it, but he did it!"

kjell

Post by kjell » Tue May 12, 2015 9:34 pm

Hi,

Count me in as well. With planning I can visit British Library at Euston (London) with orders for Scottish newspapers.

Kjell

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Fri May 15, 2015 3:03 pm

I've completed 1921-22 season's stats but am missing some data if anyone could help.

Player's first names
Aberdeen
Dey
didn't play in the League or Cup but appeared in a charity match v Dundee on 1 May 1922

Dundee
Malcolm
Young
Anderson
'Newman' triallist
All the above appeared in the Forfarshire Cup

Hamilton Accies
Henderson
McFarlane, F
Both in the Express Cup

Partick Thistle
James Gibson and N Gibson, was this actually the same person?
Robertson (played British CWC game v Spurs on 19 Sep 1921)

Queen's Park
Galloway, W
Davidson, R

St Mirren
Watson (replaced Bradford in goal for his only appearance)
Cummins (played in the Paisley Charity Cup)

Referees
22 March 1922 Hamilton v Clyde
7 Sep 1921 Hamilton v Partick
8 Oct 1921 Hamilton v Kilmarnock
13 Sep 1921 St Mirren v Hibernian
15 Mar 1922 Partick v Hibernian
28 Jan 1922 Inverness Caley v Kilmarnock (Scottish Cup)
22 Feb 1922 Morton v Partick

Anything at all would be most welcome! I've forwarded the spreadsheet to Alan in the meantime,

Cheers
Brian
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.nf

Partick Thistle

Post by Partick Thistle » Fri May 15, 2015 4:03 pm

BMCCOLL wrote:I've completed 1921-22 season's stats but am missing some data if anyone could help.

Partick Thistle
James Gibson and N Gibson, was this actually the same person?
Robertson (played British CWC game v Spurs on 19 Sep 1921)
I'm in the same boat regarding the refs at the moment Brian but can help with the other points...

N Gibson will be Neil Gibson, he and Jimmy were brothers, sons of Neilly. He played twice for the first team:
23.08.1921 Clydebank [h] D3-3 (Arran War Memorial Fund Benefit)
10.09.1921 Queen's Park [a] W1-0 (SFL First Division - game 7)

Re the Spurs game, as you'll be aware, the Glasgow Herald listed Thistle's no.9 as "McFarlane", the inverted commas perhaps suggesting a psuedonym trialist. The Daily Record reported that William Robertson of Kirkintilloch Rob Roy was the real identity.

However, as regards the "British Cup Winners Cup", I'm really hoping this doesn't go into print again, there was no such thing, it was just a friendly!
William

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Fri May 15, 2015 4:58 pm

Thanks, William,

Neil was missing from Emms which I used as my primary source for first names, and somehow missed his entry in Litster... stats blindness methinks!
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.nf

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Fri May 15, 2015 10:57 pm

However, as regards the "British Cup Winners Cup", I'm really hoping this doesn't go into print again, there was no such thing, it was just a friendly!
William, I suppose us Scots just like to hang on to the great results against English clubs as they don't happen very often! But I think your right, it was just a friendly so maybe just a mention of the result as a footnote to rub it in :lol:

Alan