Football Event at National Library of Scotland

The place to discuss Scottish football
ScottishFA

Football Event at National Library of Scotland

Post by ScottishFA » Sat May 02, 2015 9:47 am

Have just noticed that the NLS has a talk on June 17 called Fitba Crazy which is billed as a chance to see the Library's football holdings. Unfortunately it is already described as 'fully booked'. Anyone going?

http://www.nls.uk/events#jun17b

Partick Thistle

Re: Football Event at National Library of Scotland

Post by Partick Thistle » Sat May 02, 2015 11:02 am

One of the lads who used to travel on our supporters bus wrote a fanzine called "Worse Than East Fife".

He was only a schoolboy at the time and this was probably reflected in the content and production, although it was fairly well received and sold well, all credit to him.

The National Library got in touch and pretty much insisted that one copy of every issue be deposited with them.

They are clearly very thorough!
William

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Tue May 05, 2015 8:23 am

Partick Thistle wrote:One of the lads who used to travel on our supporters bus wrote a fanzine called "Worse Than East Fife".

He was only a schoolboy at the time and this was probably reflected in the content and production, although it was fairly well received and sold well, all credit to him.

The National Library got in touch and pretty much insisted that one copy of every issue be deposited with them.

They are clearly very thorough!
It's the law I think! I used to supply them with copies of Mass Hibsteria.
It's the Hope I can't stand

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Tue May 05, 2015 11:16 am

Sounds like a good event to attend, shame there are no spaces. The National Library weren't long in getting in touch with me when my book was published last year.

Alan

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:27 pm

This was an excellent event and an enjoyable hour. It was held in a small meeting room with a table covered with football books. The National Library of Scotland has a collection of over 10,000 football items and around half are of Scottish interest. The talk showed the variety available (fanzines, programmes, biographies, annuals, etc. etc.) and how it covers the timespan of the game. One of the books was written by our administrator. To illustrate his point the curator had a huge collection of books on Raith Rovers to show what was held on one fairly typical club. I was fascinated that in one Queen’s Park publication from around the 1930’s/1940’s there was a pull-out section at the back that must have extended to three feet with a diagram drawn by Archibald Leitch showing every seat (individually numbered – yes! all 9,950 of them!) and the layout of the old South Stand at Hampden Park.

Angusfifer

Post by Angusfifer » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:43 am

Sounds fascinating!
Are these books all available to the general public to view, and is there an online index?

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:57 am

Angusfifer wrote:Sounds fascinating!
Are these books all available to the general public to view, and is there an online index?
You need to have a reader's card first. That is a straightforward process - proof of identity and photograph. The card gives you a Library Number. With the card you can access the on-line index which will tell you if the book is available to view and, if so, lets you reserve it. From my experience the only time I could not view a book was because it was in a fragile state but even then I think there are still arrangements where the Library staff can get access themselves on your behalf under special conditions. Anyway if the book is available it is taken from storage to the Reading Room in the George IV Bridge building where you have up to five days to view it gaining access to the Reading Room with your card. Only essential equipment is allowed in the Reading Room and it is pencil only. So a notepad, pencil, iPad and/or laptop is the essential stuff to take.

The curator was explaining the difficulty of cataloguing and indexing all the items for the on-line index. So if you are planning to visit to research say a particular season you might identify some items yourself but it would be advisable to use the on-line contact facility where you could explain what you are looking for and what you have found and the experts are more than likely to find other relevant material. There is photocopying/scanning facilities - subject to copyright rules of course - in the Reading Room.

I hope that helps.

Angusfifer

Post by Angusfifer » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:10 am

That's great thanks, very helpful!

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:38 pm

One of the books was written by our administrator
Do you mean the previous administrator or myself? It would be a touch of good fortune for me if it was the one book that I have published that was on display, considering how many David has published in comparison ...

Alan

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:48 am

Alan Brown wrote:
One of the books was written by our administrator
Do you mean the previous administrator or myself? It would be a touch of good fortune for me if it was the one book that I have published that was on display, considering how many David has published in comparison ...

Alan
Yes it was you and your "World War One and Scottish Football" book but David's books will be in the Library's collection! The curator used it as an example of football books that link to wider historical events.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:02 pm

I received the following message for posting from Ian Scott, curator for sport, leisure and newspapers at the National Library of Scotland:

"My thanks to Bluedragon for his kind comments and accurate summary of the “Fitba Crazy” event at NLS in June. Just thought I would add that I am always happy to help with enquiries about the football items we have at NLS. Just Google my name and National Library of Scotland and you should get my contact details. I can tell you what we have and how to get access to it, it is free and easy. I am also happy to repeat “Fitba Crazy” as a private free event at the Library. This would be for groups from around 5-15 people though we can stretch this a bit. For a private event I can include extra material on specific clubs, players or periods by request. This would be a chance to be in a room with the pick of our football collections for an hour to two hours. It would probably be less structured than the public event giving you more time to browse and talk about items. I am always happy to meet individuals in the Library to help them use our collections. Please get in touch.

As football fans are also sometimes rugby fans you might be interested in two similar workshops I am doing on rugby in September more details here

http://www.nls.uk/events/workshops-and-tours

I hope to repeat a version of “Fitba Crazy” next year. I will let Bluedragon know when this is going to happen.

Regards

Ian Scott, Curator, National Library of Scotland"

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:38 pm

The 'Fitba Crazy' event sounds like it would be a good couple of hours spent. Shamefully I have never spend any great amount of time in our National Library, so I would certainly be up for attending the next one. If there was enough interest from the members of this website then perhaps a private event could be arranged with Ian Scott? If we had enough interest Ian could then be contacted directly.

Alan

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:37 am

Count me in if this can be arranged. Cheers Syd

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:27 am

I will be delighted to take part. My visit in June whetted my appetite to learn more about what is held in the Library.

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:48 pm

Add my name for the bus please.