Football Event at National Library of Scotland

The place to discuss Scottish football
Alan Brown

Re: Football Event at National Library of Scotland

Post by Alan Brown » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:56 pm

I have sent the list of 12 attendees for the Fitba Crazy event at NLS on 28th November.

Alan Brown
Gordon Sydney
Alan McCabe
Stewart Davidson
Andy Mitchell
Matt Vallance
Bobby Hutchison
Robert Burns
Paddy Brennan
Ian Gardiner
David Allan
Douglas Gorman

If there is anyone wanting added to the list please let me know. Andy has already indicated a book that he would like to look at on the day, does anyone have other suggestions as to what they want to be on display?

Alan

Essex Corcaigh

Post by Essex Corcaigh » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:15 pm

:mrgreen:

Hi Alan. Could you tell me what times we're now looking at when it comes to actually heading off to Edinburgh. It's only 'cos I want to book my tickets online so I get the cheap option (more cider vouchers). I also want to pick up my library card from them as they said it's waiting for me !

Really looking forward to this although it's probably best I don't post a list of books I'd like as I'd probably be looking at staying the weekend :lol:

All the best to all !

There are those who are Irish and those who wish they were Irish !

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:04 am

Paddy,

I think most people will just make their own way to the library as they are traveling from different places. For me it will be train from Kilwinning to Glasgow then Citylink bus to Edinburgh, so would be looking to leave the house around 07.00am at the latest. If your plans tie in with that then you are welcome to travel with me.

Alan

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:20 pm

Alan,

The famous photograph of Clyde v St Mirren at Barrowfield in 1894 comes from a postcard issued at the time. If the Library hold one of the postcards I'd like to see it and check the details on the back of the postcard if possible - a scan would be great.

Other than that I'll obviously be interested in anything with a Clyde connection!

Cheers

Syd

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:40 am

I know that this Clyde v St Mirren photo is often quoted as 1894, but did the clubs actually meet at Barrowfield that year? Their first league meeting was on 11 May 1895. Also, just to get back to basics, Clyde's colours were red and black, St Mirren were black and white stripes, which don't really match the pictorial evidence:

I would be surprised if it was published as a postcard around that time, as picture postcards didn't really take off until the turn of the century.

The earliest 'modern' publication I can trace it to was Kevin McCarra's 1984 pictorial history but there is no attribution. Where is the original?

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:28 am

I'm sure I've seen mention of a postcard in newspaper articles, and I think I've heard it from other sources, I'll see what I can find.

I've absolutely established it is Barrowfield, and you're correct to a point that Clyde and St Mirren didn't meet competitively at Barrowfield in 1894, but they did meet in a friendly that year at that venue (this maybe accounts for the lack of goal nets).

Re the strips, the "historical kits" website shows Clyde with narrow red and blue hoops and dark shorts, and St Mirren with black and white stripes and black shorts, although the team in the picture appear to be wearing white shorts. I did wonder if it was the Sunderland friendly in 1898 at that venue (last game at Barrowfield), but having seen St Mirren and 1894 quoted throughout I think that's a long shot. Historical kits show Sunderland pretty much in their traditional red and white stripes, but again with black shorts, so the same problem and questions arise.

Maybe Alan could move this to a different topic in it's own right?

Essex Corcaigh

Post by Essex Corcaigh » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:16 am

Hey Alan.

My missus is attending a Craft Fair in East Kilbride on that Saturday and said she'd drive me to Glasgow first. She's happy to pop into Kilwinning to pick you up on the way ! That be o.k ?

There are those who are Irish and those who wish they were Irish !

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:17 pm

Paddy, I have sent you a PM.

Alan

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am

I'm really sorry about this but I can't make the Library event next Saturday. I've been offered tickets to the Davis Cup Final in Ghent that weekend, and with me being from Dunblane and two local boys playing in what is effectively a World Cup final, it is too good an opportunity to miss.

It's a shame as I was looking forward to meeting all you kindred spirits! Enjoy yourselves.

Andy

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:29 pm

Scottish FA wrote:
I'm really sorry about this but I can't make the Library event next Saturday. I've been offered tickets to the Davis Cup Final in Ghent that weekend, and with me being from Dunblane and two local boys playing in what is effectively a World Cup final, it is too good an opportunity to miss.

It's a shame as I was looking forward to meeting all you kindred spirits! Enjoy yourselves.

Aye Mitchell - once a Hampden free-loader, always a free-loader!!

But seriously, you jammy so-and-so - enjoy and, here's hoping Dunblane can beat the Rest of the World.
Snuff

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:39 pm

Freeloading? Hah, if only.

I'm not averse to swanning it around the football temples of the world but my influence doesn't extend to tennis. When I said 'offered' I meant 'offered the opportunity to purchase'.

So, 90 euros a ticket plus flights, trains and hotel. Times two, if you include my wife.

Hopefully worth every centime.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:58 pm

Andy, couldn't agree more; IF Great Britain can win, it will be great, less so, if Scotland/Dunblane loses - this is the Torygraph, Daily Heil view.
Snuff

stewart

Post by stewart » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:49 pm

Gentlemen, sorry, I too will no longer be able to attend due to something else that has cropped up for Saturday morning this week . Apologies for the inconvenience.

Stewart

RobertB

Post by RobertB » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:32 am

Alas I am also going to have to pull out,the Mrs is away and im looking after the beastie! Hope you all have a great day and count me in if your doing anything similar in the future.

Cheers
Robert

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:41 am

Stewart/Robert thanks for letting me know.

Alan