Football Event at National Library of Scotland

The place to discuss Scottish football
Alan Brown

Re: Football Event at National Library of Scotland

Post by Alan Brown » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:46 pm

The 21st November is out for me as well after consultation with my wife. Stewart I have asked for the event to begin around 10am and will take us up to around midday. A tour of the rest of the library may then be offered to those that have the time to spare. I thought a Saturday morning would suit most people as it would still allow time to potentially travel to a game afterwards.

Alan

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:46 am

I will again be reporting on Rugby in the coming season. I have games in Ayr on 7/11 and 21/11, and in Glasgow on 14/11, but at the time of writing I have nothing on 21/11.

That would be best for me, followed in descending order by 14/11 then 28/11 and 7/11 (potentially the more-entertaining pre-match lunch).
Snuff

Boabthe warrior

Post by Boabthe warrior » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:55 pm

Nice try Alan, Am off X-Mas day, but will miss a Warriors game to attend in November, why not mid-week ie Friday, good talk, interesting tour and a wee pie and pint afterwards with fellow fit'ba men, but Saturday will be fine with me. Best of luck.

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:02 am

We now have a definite date confirmed for the Fitba Crazy event. It's Saturday 28th November at 10am. The event should should last until midday at least, then maybe the possibility of a get together afterwards? Or take in a game?

Alan

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:07 pm

I'd like to attend. 28th is OK for me.
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:34 pm

Good news we've got a definite date. Not ideal for me but, count me in for 28 November.
Snuff

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:14 pm

No problem David I will add you to the list. Below is the latest email from Ian Scott:

Fitba Crazy event. 28th November 2015

10.00 Meet in front hall of National Library of Scotland, George IV Bridge

[The Library is open from 9.30. We have a café where you could get tea or coffee if you are early]

It would be helpful if everyone could bring along a pound coin. We have coin operated lockers where you can put coats and bags for the duration of the visit. You get your pound back when you retrieve your coat/bag.

Brief tour of the Library. This will give you an idea of the extent of our collections and an idea of how we look after them as well as advice on how to join and use the Library. This does involve stairs so if anyone does have mobility issues please tell me.

10.45-12.00 approx.

Look at a selection of our football collections in a private room. We will highlight some of the more interesting items and then you can look at others and Library staff will be around to tell you more about items and the Library.

I will be around until 1.00 if anyone wants to ask me anything afterwards or wishes to take out free registration as a reader.

The above is just a proposal. Very happy to tweak timings etc. to suit the group. Also if anyone would like to see material relating to a specific club, player or period we will accommodate this if we can.

They can accommodate up to 20 people on the day, so if your interested there are still spaces left. Ian needs the names of everyone wanting to go so I have tried my best to match names with their usernames on here.

Alan Brown - Alan Brown
Shawfield Boy - Gordon Sydney
Bluedragon
Alan McCabe - Alan McCabe
Stewart - Stewart Davidson
Scottish FA - Andy Mitchell
Snuff - Matt Vallance
Scottish - David Ross
Boab The Warrior - ??
Robert B - Robert Burns
Essex Corcaigh - Paddy Brennan
Boris 57 - Ian Gardiner
Saturday31stMarch1928 - David Allan

Forgive me if I don't know your full name as yet!

Alan

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:15 pm

Thanks Alan.

That's great. On the evidence of the earlier Fitba' Crazy event this will be a great experience and a good introduction to the library.

I look forward to meeting others there.

Douglas Gorman

Boabthe warrior

Post by Boabthe warrior » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:19 pm

Great news, see you on the 28th, Bobby Hutchison

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:20 pm

Thanks Douglas and Bobby. I will forward the list of names on to Ian. We should now make a start on giving consideration to what books we want to look at on the 28th November. To start off do any of you guys possess a copy of 'The Scots in Europe' written by Tom Poole? It was published in the early 2000s I think, but that's all the information I have! It covered our clubs exploits in European competition from 1955 onwards.

Alan

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:04 pm

Tom Pool produced a couple of books on The Scots in Europe, self-published A4 books, presumably in small quantities. They are very good reference volumes with team lines and match stats for all Scottish clubs in European competition.

The first covered 1955-56 to 1999-2000 and has blue card covers. Then a year later he produced a season update inc 2000-01 matches with a lot more statistical analysis. This has red covers.

Tom is on the Council of the Scottish Schools FA, and you can get his contact details here: http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/ssfa/scotti ... ?page=1548 Speaking as a self-published author, he will either have a garage full of them or be looking for a copy himself.

As for what I would like to see at the event, I've already had a good trawl through their holdings so would suggest any unique items such as personal papers/club archives/ephemera. And they have a rare copy of Beeton's Football from 1866, the first book ever published specifically on football.

I'm looking forward to it already!

Andy

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:46 pm

Thanks for the details Andy, very helpful.

Alan

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:26 am

28th is fine for me. See you there. Cheers Syd

Essex Corcaigh

Post by Essex Corcaigh » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:16 pm

:mrgreen:

As far as I'm aware, I can make any of those dates !

:mrgreen:
There are those who are Irish and those who wish they were Irish !

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:28 pm

I'm in!