Football Event at National Library of Scotland

The place to discuss Scottish football
Skyline Drifter

Re: Football Event at National Library of Scotland

Post by Skyline Drifter » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:18 am

Ah the problems of organising such events in advance, 25% withdrawal already in the week ahead of it.

Sounds good, not sure how I missed the thread in the first place and probably not of any direct use to me at this stage in what I'm trying to do but will be interesting none the less. I however will be at our Scottish Youth Cup tie in Dumfries on Saturday anyway so wouldn't have been able to go. I hope those that do enjoy it and get a lot out of it.

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:03 am

Ian Scott has sent some details of what to expect on our big day in Edinburgh guys:

The event will start at 10.00. It is in a private room in the Library. When you arrive please tell the Enquiry desk in our entrance hall you are here for the football event. Either myself or my colleague Elaine who is doing the event with me will come through and meet you just before 10.00 and take you through to the room. You will get a temporary pass.

As we will be looking at collection items we will have to follow our security and collection care guidelines. This means no food or drink whilst we are looking at the items so unfortunately we won’t be able to offer you tea or coffee. The Library has a public café and this will be open from 9.00am and after the event so if you want refreshments or are early you can use that. Also it would be best if members of the group put outside coats and bags in lockers. We have lockers in the Library and you need a pound coin to close these which is returned when you get your items back.

We are very central and not far from the train and bus station in Edinburgh just off the High Street. If people are not familiar with us they might be confused as we are directly opposite the Central Public Library for Edinburgh which is also on George IV Bridge. Make sure you go to the right Library. An environmental march is going up the Mound and along George IV Bridge on Saturday around 12.00. Thought I would mention this as you might be emerging from the Library into this on Saturday but this should not be a problem unless you want to get a bus or taxi directly outside the building.

The event will finish around 12.00 but I can be flexible about this. I do have to get the material sent back and sort out the room at 12.30. If people want or need to leave before 12.00 that’s fine.

I have the Beeton’s Football book ; some Third Lanark items, some football and World War I items and otherwise a wide spread of material covering 150 years of books on football including at least one items on most clubs, junior and non-league material and programmes so hopefully something amongst it will be of interest to everyone who is attending. I have not included material from big publishers such as Mainstream etc. as you will likely all be familiar with these and can see them elsewhere.

The format will be I will briefly showcase a few of the rarer and more interesting items from the collections and pass these round. This should take 30 minutes or so. Lots of other books will be laid out for you to see and for the rest of the morning you can examine these and talk about them.

Should be a good day.

Alan

RobertB

Post by RobertB » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:27 am

Sounds absolutely fantastic.pig sick I cant manage now.

Hope everyone going gets something from it as im sure they will.

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:43 pm

Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow.
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:39 pm

Allowing that Scotrail don't force an unplanned delay upon the trains from Falkirk then I'll be there nice and prompt tomorrow.
Looking forward to it.

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:03 pm

A grand day out

Here are some of the items we saw

http://www.londonhearts.com//archivegro ... index.html
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Boabthe warrior

Post by Boabthe warrior » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:42 pm

A mind blowing morning, just what is in the store rooms. Thanks to Iain and Elaine and to Alan for the work in putting the this event together. Hopefully another meeting can be arranged.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:53 pm

Just to add my thanks to the organisers of our morning at the National Library of Scotland and the opportunity to see a small part of its extensive and wide football collection. It was also great to meet everyone.

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:04 pm

A great wee day, and not only to now be able to put some faces to the names on here. Thanks again to Alan for organising it.

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:13 pm

I echo everything said here. A very enjoyable morning and a good blether with a number of the guys.
Looking forward to a return visit....with pen and notepad and, of course, NLS membership to hand.

Alan Brown

Post by Alan Brown » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:27 am

Thanks to everyone that came along on Saturday. I had a thoroughly enjoyable morning, although the two hours did pass too quickly!

Alan

EastJunior

Post by EastJunior » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:14 pm

Out of interest, what were the Junior items on show?

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:17 pm

EastJunior wrote:Out of interest, what were the Junior items on show?
From memory:
a) A brochure commemorating St Andrews United winning the Junior Cup in the 1959/60 Season
b) A booklet commemorating Cambuslang Rangers' glory years of the early/mid 1970's
c) A book of Junior team photographs from around 1897
d) An Evening Times or Evening Citizen Junior handbook for the 1950/60 Season
e) A book on Beith FC but I cannot remember if that only covered the club's Senior years
f) I think that there was a book on Arthurlie but I am not sure.
g) a set (around 15) of Auchinleck Talbot fanzines
h) A history of Largs Thistle
i) .......and probably others that I missed.

Ian Scott made the point that he thought most football clubs (Senior & Junior) will have a book about their history (or part of) but many will have only be published locally, with a limited circulation and would not automatically find their way to the National Collection. He said that the NLS were always on the look-out for such books.

EastJunior

Post by EastJunior » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:48 am

Thanks.