Raymond Clark *sp

The place to discuss Scottish football
RobertB

Raymond Clark *sp

Post by RobertB » Mon May 11, 2015 12:33 pm

Apologies in advance as my research computer has died so this is rather vague and using my phone!
A Raymond Clark who played for Arthurlie before moving to Leicester in the 50' 60's passed away last week and I wondered if anyone had any information on him?

Thanks
Robert

leicester

Re: Raymond Clark *sp

Post by leicester » Mon May 11, 2015 3:52 pm

Hi,

Absolutely minimal info, I'm afraid:

Raymond CLARK: outside-left; Neilston Waverley / Arthurlie / Leicester City (Jan 1960, £200) / Stamford (1962, free).
No first-team apps for Leicester.

Would appreciate any precise birth / death details should they come to hand.

PT

RobertB

Post by RobertB » Sat May 16, 2015 1:06 pm

Apologies, just getting back on. Not sure of either detail as yet but will obviously let you know as soon as I get them. On another topic I'm trying to put as much together as possible on John 'Buff' Anderson for his family who I know well, any info on him would be great.
Thanks again

leicester

Post by leicester » Sat May 16, 2015 11:38 pm

Can't swear this the man you're lookig for, as I've certainly never heard of the nickname, but this was LCFC's John Anderson:

Anderson, John
b. Barrhead, Renfrewshire, 8th December 1929; d. Leicester, 22nd August 2001
Career: St Charles (Paisley); 1946 Arthurlie; Dec 1948 CITY; July 1960 Peterborough United; July 1961 Nuneaton Borough; Sept 1962 Bedworth Town; Dec 1962 Syston St Peters (p/mgr Aug 1963); Nov 1965 Husbands Bosworth Albion.
City debut v Barnsley (A) 6.4.1949
Not the most physically imposing of goalkeepers, but a wiry and wily last-line exploiting good positioning and reflexes, Johnny had his fine City form, especially in the Second Division championship campaign of 1954, recognised by Scotland to the tune of one full cap, one ‘B’ team honour, and the status of standby keeper for the 1958 World Cup. National Service with the RAMC hampered his Filbert Street progress in the very early 50s (after he had appeared in the only Scottish Junior ‘international’ ever held at Hampden Park, against the Republic of Ireland in 1948), but was the cause of his regularly appearing in a star-studded Army side behind the likes of John Charles, Tommy Taylor and Bobby Smith; and on demob he became consistent first-choice for City until cracking his wrist against Bristol Rovers in the second of his promotion years, 1956/7; bringing to an end a 106-game run and sidelining him for the championship run-in. A battle with Dave MacLaren for the green jersey thereafter ensued, and an April 1959 selection for the Football Combination side in Amsterdam indexed his residual reputation, but it was the advent of Gordon Banks which marked Johnny as surplus to Filbert Street needs. Sadly, after turning down approaches from Exeter and Chesterfield to join Posh, only a single League Cup appearance spiced a term in reserve as his new club took the Fourth Division by storm.
Apps: FL 261; FAC 16.

All the best,

PT

RobertB

Post by RobertB » Sun May 17, 2015 9:43 am

Any thanks, that's him! Buff was his nickname and also he was actually born just up the road in Neilston, I know that for sure as I'd wrote something about him a few years back and was given a telling off from his relations!
Thanks again

RobertB

Post by RobertB » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:11 am

PT
Emailed you, not sure if you got it... anyway met Raymond Clarks sister and brother in law yesterday, not seen him in years and only met Elsie once! Anyway Raymond passed on April 29 2015 and was born December 18th 1945 not sure where the place of death was but Elsie said he'd been out of Barrhead for over 40 years.

Cheers
Robert

leicester

Post by leicester » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:27 pm

Sincere thanks, Robert.

Both communications duly acknowledged. Apols for delayed response: exigencies of my partner's birthday intervened.

PT