Introductions?

The place to discuss Scottish football
Alan Brown

Introductions?

Post by Alan Brown » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:31 pm

Hi All,

Just returned from holiday which I think is a good enough excuse for me being quiet on the forum this past week!
I had a look at the 'non league matters' website which Brian recommended, and liked the idea that some of the members shared their details eg. names, research interests etc. on the site, and thought it could be something we could try out on here. I wouldn't go as far as publishing email details unless we wanted an inbox full of spam! Using myself as an example, It would go something along these lines:

Name: Alan Brown
Research Interests: Pre 1946 football in Scotland (Leagues/Cups/Internationals). Published first book in 2014 'World War One and Scottish Football' which is the first as part of a series covering the 1890-1939 years.

It did occur to me recently that as the administrator of this forum I barely know anyone's proper names!

I have made this a 'sticky' topic in the forum.

Alan
Last edited by Alan Brown on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Essex Corcaigh

Re: Introductions?

Post by Essex Corcaigh » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:22 pm

:mrgreen:

Good idea pal !

Paddy Brennan,
Research interests : Foreign footballers and internationals. Hopefully get something published next year.

:mrgreen:
There are those who are Irish and those who wish they were Irish !

kjell

Post by kjell » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:54 pm

Kjell Hanssen (first name pronounced "Chell" - a Norwegian based in Hampshire, 47 years old).

Research interests: Liverpool F.C. and football history in general. Always looking for old forgotten stories I can rewrite. I have my own football history website, or blog, at: http://kjellhanssen.com/. I spend quite a lot of time searching through online newspaper archives such as BNA and ukpressonline. I am also almost on first name with the personnel at the British Library in Euston (London). I have written close to 20 books (mostly in Norwegian language about Norwegian football), but I am most proud of "Dicky Sams - Liverpool F.C. in Blue and White" which was printed a few years back.

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:44 pm

Brian McColl

Maintain the SFHA. Main interests are compiling statistical records of the county and local leagues and cups of yesteryear, as can be seen from the site. I have published two books so far, on British Wartime football and senior competitions of the 19th century, which I intend to extend to 1920 over the next year. I am also collaborating with Douglas and Andy on updating George Campbell's Scotland Amateur Internationals book (with an eye on publication soon) and also with Alan on the SFL project.

Closing in on 50, more years behind as there are ahead, as my son continually points out :lol: My daughter says I've been in my forties forever... even in my 20s and 30s! There's no respect any more! :lol:
Last edited by BMCCOLL on Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.nf

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:57 pm

No surprise, Name Alan McCabe

Researching Scottish FA Cup, Qualifying Cup and other SFA tournaments. Been researching this longer than I care to imagine and hope to finally publish around 1,600 page 4 volumes by the end of the decade (only 17 years late!).

A sprightly 48 years old but told by my wife that I act many years younger....don't we all!

And still scunnered from seeing a third single-goal Scottish Cup Final defeat six days ago!

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:57 pm

Alan McCabe wrote:Researching Scottish FA Cup, Qualifying Cup and other SFA tournaments. Been researching this longer than I care to imagine and hope to finally publish around 1,600 page 4 volumes by the end of the decade (only 17 years late!).
... and I reckon it'll be well worth the wait!
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.nf

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:21 am

Fraser Pettigrew, a month off my 52nd birthday so clearly the old fart of the party so far; not really a historian or statto of any description, just a long suffering Hibby and owner of the dormant nostalgia blog the hibLOG at http://thehiblog.wordpress.com, pasted together from boxes of old newspaper cuttings sent to me regularly over 22 years by my dear late Dad. Resident in Wellington, NZ since the end of 2008.
Fraser

Vasco

Post by Vasco » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:58 am

John Buchanan, aged 60.

Heart of Midlothian fan from Johnstone, Renfrewshire, working at the University of Glasgow.

For the past 10 years I've been intent on publishing a book about Scottish International goalkeepers, but there always appears to be something that distracts me, and the research is put onto the back burner for months or years.

Angusfifer

Post by Angusfifer » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:17 am

Stephen Mill

Have been researching all things East Fife related for around 35 years, appearances, scorers, attendances, details of signed players etc. I also write for the matchday programme, dabble in a bit of commentary and assist the club with social media. I'm interested in Scottish football in general and collecting (East Fife) programmes...

Boris57

Post by Boris57 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:47 pm

Jim Gardiner

58 years old - a couple of weeks off retiring from HMRC after just under 42 years.

Resident in Sunny Leith now but spent much of my career working south of the border & lived for many years in the great city of Liverpool. During my time in Liverpool I contributed to a number of LFC related books & publications. Also did a regular stint on memorabilia/history on the LFC video magazine which was produced bi-monthly in the early 90's in association with Granada TV. As I grow older I become more & more disillusioned with "modern fitba" - just a grumpy auld git I suppose. I stil watch Hibs & Liverpool but get as much - if not more - satisfaction thses days watching Leith Athletic playing in the East of Scotland League.

Since reading the wonderful George Park book on St Bernard's a few years back I started delving into the history of the original Leith Athletic (1887 to 1954) & became hooked on researching their story. As well as the usual on-line sources (British Newspaper Archive, etc) I've visited local libraries the length & breadth of Scotland & also the records held by the Scottish National Archives & the SFA Museum. I've built up a large database of facts, figures, lineups, scorers, players, goings-on at club, etc over the last 4 or 5 years of research & I hope to get it all down in a book (eventually). The current club (founded in 1996 as a youth football side) sometimes get requests from people via their website, facebook, etc about their relatives who played with the original club way back. These get passed to me to try to answer & I get a buzz with the feedback from folk when you I am able to provide them with some details of their relative's time with the club.

RobertB

Post by RobertB » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:41 am

Robert Burns, was formerly Insertnamehere but lost my log in details.

I've been researching Arthurlie FC for a number of years now and every time I think I am getting close a new tournament appears to supper my hopes. I currently write the clubs programme while take match pictures, write match reports and historical items for my local paper which I've just completed my eighth season.

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:38 pm

Gordon Sydney, better known to one and all (except my Mother) as "Syd". In true "Adrian Mole" style I'm 51 1/4, and hoping to retire in an few years to fully concentrate on researching Clyde's history.

I am currently the Clyde FC Historian and write articles for the Clyde Programme, SFH etc etc, and self-published my first book "Unsung Heroes", just over a year ago (which my Best Man succinctly described as a "best seller in a niche market"). I also research and present the club's Annual Hall of Fame Event, and sell half-time draw tickets!!!!

I've been researching and logging all Clyde teams and scorers since the day dot, and am about 300 names short, so I hope to make a start on a book within a year or so, although I'm still swithering about a single book or splitting it to make the task that bit easier.

Cheers

Syd

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:21 am

Bobby Sinnet

My interests are Hibs and Bonnyrigg Rose - as I keep having to point out to people I only live in Newtongrange, I'm from Bonnyrigg. I seem to be the baby here seeing as I'm only 44.

I've done a fair amount of research into Hibs teams line ups going back to the beginning of time, which can be viewed on http://www.fitbastats.com, which also has a full record of Scotland games, Scotland under 21 games, Scotland B games, Scotland under 23 games, as well as Rangers, Celtic going back to the start of time and Morton back to 1970. All results are there for all current scottish teams too. The website was designed and created from scratch by my partner in crime and technical genius Thomas Jamieson who is a Celtic fan. He's even younger than me come to think of it.

I've written a book - The Hibernian Miscellany in 2012, and am currently co-authoring another one for publication later this year. I've contributed to other Hibs books, written an article for the Scotsman and many articles for Hibs fanzines.

I'm not around as much as I used to be, and don't do as much research as I used to:- I've been to most libraries in the central belt at one point or another, but I'm pretty much confined to using online resources these days as my three children keep me occupied most of the time. I'm looking forward to doing more, and publishing more as the bairns get older - I've plans for a complete statistical history of Hibs at some point amongst other things.
It's the Hope I can't stand

Swampy

Post by Swampy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:15 am

My name's Ewan. I live in Texas but I'm a Greenockian born and bred (and an ardent Morton supporter.) I'm 32 years old.

I'm starting a research project on Scots who have played abroad over the years. Obviously an easy task if you focus on the present day, but the number of Scots who played in the United States, South Africa, Hong Kong etc. in years gone by is mind-boggling. This is going to take a while...