Erskine Hospital Charity Cup

The place to discuss Scottish football
RobertB

Erskine Hospital Charity Cup

Post by RobertB » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:42 am

I've been doing a bit of research on the above tournament but as it was usually an end if season affair reports and results are hard to come by, before I have a dig I wondered if anyone on here had any info? I have a few winners and a few Arthurlie results but I don't even know how long it ran etc.
Thanks

HibeeJibee

Re: Erskine Hospital Charity Cup

Post by HibeeJibee » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:11 am

According to the most recent edition of 'The Winners' by Bernard Stocks... who was probably using the trophy engraving as his source, although possibly press reports or a club history... it ran from 1949-50 to 1993-94 inclusive. Arthurlie won it on six occasions, according to his list:

1954-55
1975-76
1977-78
1982-83
1988-89
1992-93

Having had a flick over 'West of Scotland Juniors 1885-1995' by John Aitken it doesn't seen to be listed.

Going by the Scottish Non League Review editions upto 1994-95 it was latterly an end-of-season tournament with 8-10 entrants.

EDIT: This from the 1990-91 edition of SNLR:

The final of the Erskine Charity Cup, though between two sides who play only two miles apart, had to be played on the other side of Glasgow due to all closer suitable venues having closed for repair work to their playing surfaces during the closed season. The competition this year lasted longer than was earlier planned, with the organisers having to get special permission from the SJFA to hold the final tie so late in the season [Monday 17th June]. Secretary Jimmy Sharp has stated that a good, long look at the competition will have to be carried out. In recent years, many clubs who have entered the competition have dropped out at the last minute, giving a donation to the cup funds instead. One possibility is that an attempt may be made to gain a sponsor for the tournament. It is to be hoped hat the trophy will continue next season, as it is for a very worthwhile cause, the ex-servicemen at Erskine Hospital.

Things became ridiculous in 1993-94 when 1 of 2 ties in the First Round was scratched and then 2 of the Quarter-Finals including both clubs from one of the ties, meaning that Johnstone Burgh made the Final having only played a SF and Neilston a QF.

Then ceased.

RobertB

Post by RobertB » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:16 pm

Thanks sir, great starting point, I will look out what I have and post it in the next few days hopefully there are others on here that can contribute?

Vasco

Post by Vasco » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:51 am

This tournament was played at the end of the season, with the clubs mainly being the local Renfrewshire and west of Glagsow sides - the Burgh, Renfrew, Arthurlie, Greenock, Gourock, Neilston, the Ants, the Bens, Pollok and, maybe, Yoker.