British Movietone - East Fife fans rejoice!

The place to discuss Scottish football
Partick Thistle

British Movietone - East Fife fans rejoice!

Post by Partick Thistle » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:36 pm

Priceless footage of the 1953 League Cup final, now publically available for the first time? I'm amazed, never seen it before. Thistle are in navy blue and white. East Fife look like they're wearing white shirts, black shorts. Anyone confirm colours? Presumably it was all change to facilitate a maximum contrast for the cameras.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYs87k6tnSs
Published on Jul 21, 2015
"Football match in Scottish league. HAS of general play at Hampden Park. East Fife scores an early goal. Another attempt at goal is saved then East Fife go two up. MS of man in motorised bathchair watching match. Partick Thistle score one, then equalise. MS of crowd celebrating. Winning goal is scored by East Fife. MS of player holding trophy aloft. Players mentioned are: McKenzie, Gardner, Walker, Fleming and Christie."

There is also a second upload from British Movietone claiming to be the 1950 Scottish Cup semi between Thistle and East Fife, 1 April 1950. However, that match was played at Ibrox and, as you can see, the film is from Hampden. I'm going to get in touch with British Movietone and let them know this is mis-tagged. Before I do so, can any of you identify the game in question? Someone has suggested it could be Rangers (horizontal bar top) v Raith Rovers 1949 League Cup final, both sides in change strips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwaAYmTVdWA
"Crowd shots. East Fife attacks goal. Various play shots. East Fife score (Fleming) then more play & Walker scored for Partick making the equaliser. General play. Crowds watching. East Fife score again (Morris) & win game, cut-ins of cheering crowds."
William

Partick Thistle

Re: British Movietone - East Fife fans rejoice!

Post by Partick Thistle » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:44 pm

I got so excited I forgot to add, if you type "British Movietone Scottish football" into Google you can get stuck into loads of auld Scottish fitba' treasure!
William

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:49 pm

I think that second clip is the Rangers-QotS semi from 1 April 1950 - if you scroll about two thirds of the way down this page there is an account of QotS's semi final day with a picture which appears to show teams with the same strips as the newsreel - Rangers with the hoop round the chest and QotS in white (as is mentioned in the article).

http://www.qosarchive.co.uk/08mar.htm
Fraser

Angusfifer

Post by Angusfifer » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:34 am

Partick Thistle wrote:Priceless footage of the 1953 League Cup final, now publically available for the first time? I'm amazed, never seen it before. Thistle are in navy blue and white. East Fife look like they're wearing white shirts, black shorts. Anyone confirm colours? Presumably it was all change to facilitate a maximum contrast for the cameras.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYs87k6tnSs
"Football match in Scottish league. HAS of general play at Hampden Park. East Fife scores an early goal. Another attempt at goal is saved then East Fife go two up. MS of man in motorised bathchair watching match. Partick Thistle score one, then equalise. MS of crowd celebrating. Winning goal is scored by East Fife. MS of player holding trophy aloft. Players mentioned are: McKenzie, Gardner, Walker, Fleming and Christie."

There is also a second upload from British Movietone claiming to be the 1950 Scottish Cup semi between Thistle and East Fife, 1 April 1950. However, that match was played at Ibrox and, as you can see, the film is from Hampden. I'm going to get in touch with British Movietone and let them know this is mis-tagged. Before I do so, can any of you identify the game in question? Someone has suggested it could be Rangers (horizontal bar top) v Raith Rovers 1949 League Cup final, both sides in change strips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwaAYmTVdWA

"Crowd shots. East Fife attacks goal. Various play shots. East Fife score (Fleming) then more play & Walker scored for Partick making the equaliser. General play. Crowds watching. East Fife score again (Morris) & win game, cut-ins of cheering crowds."

Great stuff!
I've seen a slightly longer version of the Movietone footage, including the aftermath of Frank Christie's screamer hitting the back of the net. Unfortunately the camera just misses the strike itself. We did wear white shirts and black shorts that day.
East Fife were something of a bogey team for Thistle in the big games, also defeating them in the 1927 Scottish Cup semi final at Tynecastle when we were in the Second Division...

Partick Thistle

Post by Partick Thistle » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:04 pm

the hibLOG wrote:I think that second clip is the Rangers-QotS semi from 1 April 1950 - if you scroll about two thirds of the way down this page there is an account of QotS's semi final day with a picture which appears to show teams with the same strips as the newsreel - Rangers with the hoop round the chest and QotS in white (as is mentioned in the article). http://www.qosarchive.co.uk/08mar.htm
Yep, positive i.d. on the ref too. Great work Fraser, thanks.
Angusfifer wrote: I've seen a slightly longer version of the Movietone footage, including the aftermath of Frank Christie's screamer hitting the back of the net. Unfortunately the camera just misses the strike itself. We did wear white shirts and black shorts that day.
Oh? I'm intrigued! Is there any way of seeing the other footage online or otherwise? Thanks for the colours info, brill.
Angusfifer wrote: East Fife were something of a bogey team for Thistle in the big games, also defeating them in the 1927 Scottish Cup semi final at Tynecastle when we were in the Second Division...
Fine we ken Angus, fine we ken. Our neutral venue record against you reads: played 3, lost 3. To this day, there are grown men around Maryhill who continue to weep anytime the subject is brought up.
William