Must be a Foul - TV says so

The place to discuss Scottish football
Aten

Must be a Foul - TV says so

Post by Aten » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:35 pm

And so the TV interference debate bordering on the hysterical is reopened following “that tackle”.

Television broadcasters will not rest until they have complete control of decision-making on the field and when that happens it really is time to switch the lights off. If we as football supporters continue to clamour for more camera interference which is really only motivated by partisanship then the game descends to set piece “entertainment”. Using camera technology to determine matters of fact i.e. did the ball cross the line or not is one thing, but to determine subjective decisions e.g. was it a dive or not is another. Human arbiters become redundant.

To determine whether any tackle is deemed fair or foul is a subjective decision and so to is whether a foul warrants a red or yellow card. This is a decision that only the referee can make. If he has called it wrong, or more pertinently, others through partisan leanings believe he is wrong, then we just have to accept it. Such situations are a matter of opinion neither totally right nor totally wrong.

I am pretty confident that a fair proportion of those in the stadium who saw the incident did not feel so indignant at the time until they saw repeated replays on television and became swayed by so called “professional” comment given in hindsight. Seen in real time the tackle did not look particularly bad, certainly no worse than many other run of the mill tackles. It did look a little mis-timed and yellow cards have been issued for far less. However viewed in slow motion and from different angles it did look a lot worse.

The real problem lies with the fact that none of the angles were from the referee’s perspective and just as importantly slow motion distorts the view of the incident. Unless and until technology gives a definitive decision from the referee’s perspective in real time then spare us this indignant guff. Yes officials make mistakes but so do managers, coaches and players any of which can cost the game or injure a player.

Rob R

Re: Must be a Foul - TV says so

Post by Rob R » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:45 am

I've missed something over here in New Zealand , what tackle?

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:13 pm

I presume he's referring to the first minute "tackle" on Nathan Oduwa of Rangers by Kieran Gibbons on Livingston in Tuesday's Petrofac Training Cup Q-F which was broadcast live on Alba.

lbb

Post by lbb » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:18 pm

We had a referee's strike in 2010 brought on by the pressures and insinuations from one club - supported by the OP - then I would suggest the OP is barking in the wrong direction. It's not the media that are driving referees out the game and causing strikes. One club has created the climate where referees are unable to make honest mistakes. The referee on Tuesday will know all about this because his old man once came home from a game with stitches in his head because of that club and after years of hounding - including compiling psychological reports on his old man - they eventually had him sacked over an email. So, no, the media aren't the problem, OP.

zurabiceman

Post by zurabiceman » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:38 pm

lbb wrote:We had a referee's strike in 2010 brought on by the pressures and insinuations from one club - supported by the OP - then I would suggest the OP is barking in the wrong direction. It's not the media that are driving referees out the game and causing strikes. One club has created the climate where referees are unable to make honest mistakes. The referee on Tuesday will know all about this because his old man once came home from a game with stitches in his head because of that club and after years of hounding - including compiling psychological reports on his old man - they eventually had him sacked over an email. So, no, the media aren't the problem, OP.
Well said, I totally agree with every word.