New Scotland strip

The place to discuss Scottish football
Snuff

New Scotland strip

Post by Snuff » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:29 pm

Not the worst Scotland strip I have seen, and, as someone who played for Ayr Rugby Club, I can assure the Tartan Army, there is nothing wrong with wearing a pink shirt.

I wonder about the timing, however. OK, I realise it is quite close to Christmas, but, the reality is, our A team is not due to play a match before September next year. Is this, perhaps, a case of giving the TA something to talk about other than professional academies, grass-roots development and another diversions from discussing how bad Scottish football has become?
Snuff

bluedragon

Re: New Scotland strip

Post by bluedragon » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:16 pm

I have long since stopped getting hot under the collar about football kit design and the constant change. However, I do rather like the tartan background to the shirt as it adds a unique feature. I have seen photographs from the 1950’s of Scotland with dark blue shirts and white sleeves.

My concern is more practical. I have always thought that there is a psychological advantage of being able to wear first choice kit. However, with England wearing all white and Scotland now playing with white sleeves, white shorts and a white band in the socks I am wondering if referees would consider that this would be a sufficient minimisation of the same colour appearing prominently in both teams strips or would it require a kit change in World Cup games? Perhaps it has happened before? If a change is required then to retain the advantage perhaps Scotland’s change kit should have been red shirts, white socks and red socks or would that be too subtle?

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:29 pm

Like you, I'm fairly relaxed about the strips and recognised that, for commercial reasons, they have to change on a regular basis. We've had pink before, we've had a tartan effect before, so these are really just reinventions of past designs.

I don't really see too much prospect of strip clashes, at least nothing a change of shorts (by either team) could not sort out. Thankfully nobody in world football plays in blue and pink quarters (correct me if I'm wrong).

The only thing that surprises me, and it is a small detail, is the crest on the pink shirt is plain black, rather than the full colour version on the blue strip.

And Matt, since you're always banging on about equal rights for the women's team, our next 'A team' match is actually this weekend, in Paisley.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:22 pm

Scottish FA wrote:
And Matt, since you're always banging on about equal rights for the women's team, our next 'A team' match is actually this weekend, in Paisley.

Fair enough Andy, however, I don't see a mass turn-out of the Tartan Army for that one. It will be some time before a couple of regiments parade in the new kit.
Snuff

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:44 pm

On a purely aesthetic level I think the main strip is guff. I hate those white shoulder and sleeve jobs - they look like you're wearing a bib over a white shirt. Overall the design is reminiscent of some crap kit from the 1980s. Mingin.
Fraser

EastJunior

Post by EastJunior » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:35 pm

The home kit came so close to be a great kit, "tartan" detail looks good, but the white arms have frankly ruined it. It's not a Scotland home shirt, and it could create problems when playing at Wembley leading to us wearing.......

.......the pink kit. Well what can you say really, the worst kit I've ever seen the SFA/their kit "partners" come up with, it's awful, and there have been some bad ones. It looks cheap and nasty, something you would pick-up from the "final clearance" rack in Sports Direct for a fiver. Will be a tad embarrassing if we have to walk out at Wembley to face the Auld Enemy in THAT!

It always amazes me why the SFA/Adidas do not consult fans on what they want. Surely if you get a good idea of what would be popular it would lead to more sales?

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:56 am

EastJunior wrote:It always amazes me why the SFA/Adidas do not consult fans on what they want. Surely if you get a good idea of what would be popular it would lead to more sales?
In fact I think that's EXACTLY what they do - the kits are designed with more than half an eye on what the discerning punter will allow themselves to be seen wearing on the beach/in the park/in the pub/in the shopping mall. It's the teams that get virtually no say. I have seen plenty of positive reaction to both kits. Remember the infamous 'garter belt' shorts produced for the 86 World Cup? Widely derided at the time - best selling shorts in Scotland kit history. Jeez, I've even got one of the Aladdin Sane change tops. Admittedly it was bought for me by friends as a joke, but I wear it with pride :)

Notwithstanding, that new kit is still guff.
Fraser

EastJunior

Post by EastJunior » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:55 am

I’m not sure they do though because the home kit, as far as I can see, has been pretty much panelled by regular going Scotland fans due to the white arms. The pink kit is marmite, love it or hate it. The SFA/Adidas certainly don’t consult SSC members, it’s a closely guarded secret.

Part of the issue I see is that Adidas produce such a limited range of “leisure wear” and what they do produce is plastered with “Vauxhall”, so they seem to inflict their wacky designs on the team kit itself, although to be fair the change kit isn’t wacky, it’s just the colour that makes it wacky. In the old days both shirts would be “leisure” shirts, both fit the bill for that (as did the previous change kit). In fact I have an old Fila Scotland tshirt which is blue with white arms!

Maybe I’m a traditionalist but the kits should stick to the script, dark blue home with white shorts, and something half sensible for the change kit. Inflict the daft ideas on the leisure wear market, although I’m sure the sales figures prove me wrong and prove SFA/Adidas right. I won’t be indulging.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:15 am

Or, the SFA could switch their kit deal to Macron, the Italian company which supplies the Scotland rugby kit.

It too has a bit of tartan in it, but, done with Italian fashion flair - it looks good and the tartan effect is subtle.
Snuff

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:31 pm

EastJunior wrote:I’m not sure they do though because the home kit, as far as I can see, has been pretty much panelled by regular going Scotland fans due to the white arms. The pink kit is marmite, love it or hate it.
I'm a "regular going Scotland fan", in terms of home games anyway, I haven't travelled to an away game for 15 years but have missed only one home competitive game in the last 20 years and that because my son was in hospital at the time. I like the white arms. I quite like the new home kit though the tartan top the had for the 96 Euros was better than the tartan in this one. Not overly fond of the pink one but can't say it particularly bothers me either. Don't hate it though I guess I'll have to see us actually wearing it in a match to really form a proper impression.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:25 pm

Well, a 10-0 win first time on - I think we should give the pink kit a wee run of games.
Snuff

EastJunior

Post by EastJunior » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:17 pm

Snuff wrote:Well, a 10-0 win first time on - I think we should give the pink kit a wee run of games.
I think we should just let the lassies wear it, suits them better!

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:17 am

A HALF DECENT TEAM TO FILL WHATEVER SILLY JERSESYS THEY DESIGN WOULD BE GOOD.