Free NLS access to Ancestry and Findmypast

The place to discuss Scottish football
ScottishFA

Free NLS access to Ancestry and Findmypast

Post by ScottishFA » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:13 pm

I have just noticed that the National Library of Scotland is offering free access, on a trial basis, to ancestry and findmypast.

See https://auth.nls.uk/ldc/

And what is more, it is the full worldwide edition in both cases.

It is only open to registered users, which is free but you have to have an address in Scotland. If the trial is successful and this carries on, it will save a fortune in subscription fees!

BMCCOLL

Re: Free NLS access to Ancestry and Findmypast

Post by BMCCOLL » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:20 pm

Cheers, Andy. I've subscribed to FMP for about 2 years and it is a superb resource, even better if the NLS allows us free access! :wink:

I've also noticed the Telegraph, including Sunday editions from 1961, are also included, probably worth checking out if your interested in updating your English info.
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.nf

sureitsza

Post by sureitsza » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:33 am

Maybe its me, but I can only search the newspapers but can't view the page through the NLS access.

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:10 pm

I find the access to Ancestry/Findmypast a bit puzzling tbh... though it will be welcome for anyone who can make use of it in the next few weeks. Have they just teamed-up with those companies during periods in which they're offering free trials anyway? NLS obviously pays fees to get access to online resources, only a few of which can be accessed at home as opposed to in GIVB... you would think an ongoing fee from Ancestry/Findmypast would be very high to compensate for those using it via NLS instead of subscribing, plus genealogy isn't NLS's remit. My council gives free access to Ancestry to assist those who can't afford it, but it onsite only and the more limited 'Library Edition'.