Who would you classify as the big Scottish clubs?

The place to discuss Scottish football
football2011

Who would you classify as the big Scottish clubs?

Post by football2011 » Wed May 11, 2016 9:07 pm

If Kilmarnock get relegated would they be classed as another big club to exit the top division in recent years alongside Rangers, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee United? These four alongside Celtic and Aberdeen you can call them big clubs but would the likes of Killie and Motherwell be in that same category?

cowdenbeather

Re: Who would you classify as the big Scottish clubs?

Post by cowdenbeather » Wed May 11, 2016 11:48 pm

Well there are no rules - it is down to whatever criteria you personally deem relevant as to who comes into this category. I would say the 'big clubs' are those who have won all 3 major honours - Rangers, Celtic, Hibs, Hearts, Dundee, Dundee United, Aberdeen, Motherwell and Kilmarnock.

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Fri May 13, 2016 1:37 pm

I feel the current 'big' clubs are those who've been top division mainstays from late 1990s (until a few years ago anyway):

Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Kilmarnock, Motherwell

Rob R

Post by Rob R » Sat May 14, 2016 3:26 am

To me there is only 5, Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen , Hearts & Hibs, a few years ago , I would have added both Dundee teams to that but I feel they have downsized in the last few years . Both old firm members and Edinburgh clubs have upped the capacity of their stadia in the past few years, or in Hearts case at the moment & Aberdeen are looking at building something bigger than what they have at the moment ,and they have took more than the lions share of the honours . The next pool down I would include the 2 Dundee clubs , Kilmarnock, Motherwell and maybe surprise some, with the selection of Dunfermline. In pool 3 , to me there are a selection of clubs at the moment at various stages, at a football level but perhaps equal in a club perspective Ayr Utd, Falkirk, Hamilton, Inverness CT, Livingston , Morton, Partick Thistle , Queen of the South , Raith Rovers , Ross County , St Johnstone, & St Mirren. Whilst we maybe despair at the lack of competition in our League , we have had a fair turnover of winners, in our two cup competitions in the last few years , and a few of them from my pool 3.

Rob R

Post by Rob R » Sat May 14, 2016 1:36 pm

Taking my scale, I think you could say the same about a few other countries as well and I'm not comparing our clubs with other countries clubs but I'm saying what if you asked a Spaniard or an Italian, my take on Spain would be Pool 1 Barcelona, & the two Madrid clubs, Sevilla & Valencia . Pool 2 Real Sociedad, Athletic Bilbao possibly Real Zaragoza , Pool 3 Espanol , Celta Vigo , Villareal,& Betis. In Italy The two Milan clubs & Juventus, Pool 2 The two Roman clubs , Fiorentina & Napoli and in pool 3 the two Genoa clubs , Cagliari, Torino, Parma. When you debate about the inclusion of clubs like Villareal or Parma in they catagories because the've only come to the fore in later years, the same argument could be said about Inverness CT and historically where would we place a club like Queens Park. Do they deserve a higher ranking through there Scottish Cup wins & 2 FA Cup Finals 2 centuries ago. and when the TV people did the deal with the old English League Div 1 in the late 1980's the clubs that formed a syndicate were Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd, Liverpool & Everton, No Nottingham Forest, who were one of England's most attractive sides at the time, no Chelsea or Man City like now.