Bobby Carroll RIP

The place to discuss Scottish football

Bobby Carroll RIP

Postby bluedragon » Thu May 12, 2016 8:39 am

It is sad to hear of the passing of Bobby Carroll at the age of 77. There was touching tribute by Bertie Auld in the Daily Record.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/loca ... WADRkfg.97

Bobby played for Irvine Meadow XI, Celtic, St Mirren, Dundee United, Coleraine and Queen of the South.

Bobby was an Irvine Meadow XI legend and was already a provisional signing for Celtic when he scored 75 goals for the club n the 1958/59 season that saw the club win the Scottish Junior Cup for the first time. Bobby was Junior Player of the Year in that season. He was also in the team that played in the historic game versus Birmingham City at St Andrews towards the end of that season. Meadow lost 3:4 to a last minute goal from a strong, full-time Blues reserve team. Perhaps even more significant is that Bobby and his part-time team mates had played an important but stamina-sapping cup tie on a slippery and wet Perthshire pitch just two days before travelling to Birmingham.

As Bertie says Bobby could tell a story. Indeed, as recently as February he was sharing his memories and scrapbooks with a Meadow programme contributor.

My own favourite story is from his Celtic days and from a match on 1 October 1960 when Celtic were losing to Airdrieonians at Broomfield and at a time when Celtic were in the doldrums and Rangers were in the ascendancy. Bobby Carroll went to take a corner kick and went on to say in “Talking with Celtic”, 2001:

"I stepped back to get my run-up and this thing, this black thing, came flying over out of the crowd behind me and landed in the penalty box. I took the corner and Johnny Divers headed over the bar. So while the ball is out of play, I go to have a look. I recognise the horseshoe shape, it's a black puddin' lying there and I'm still looking when the referee comes up. "What is it?" he says. "It's a black puddin'" I say. And right at that moment, the voice from the crowd, "Aye, Carroll, and that makes [EXPLETIVE DELETED] 12 o' ye!" It was definitely 12 and it was in the penalty box, not at the corner flag."

The reason for the final sentence is to clarify what actually happened as Celtic folklore has different versions of the story:

• Was it a pie or a black pudding? A pie would have been easily available from a terracing catering kiosk but a black pudding?

• Was the comment directed at the team (“12 o' ye”) or Bobby Carroll himself (“2 o' ye”)?

• Where did the pie/black pudding land? – the corner flag i.e. directed at Bobby, or the penalty area, i.e. aimed at the entire team?
bluedragon

Return to Scottish Football