New Types of Team in the SPFL Challenge Cup

The place to discuss Scottish football
HibeeJibee

New Types of Team in the SPFL Challenge Cup

Post by HibeeJibee » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:50 pm

Additional clubs from the Highland and Lowland leagues entering but the bigger revelation is an admittance of 12 Premiership 'B' teams, 2 Northern Irish and 2 Welsh clubs.

Aside from the rights/wrongs of it: how will this affect its consideration in historical records? Traditionally people excluded 'C' Division and related competitions, and classified the Texaco/Anglo-Scottish Cup as international.

BMCCOLL

Re: New Types of Team in the SPFL Challenge Cup

Post by BMCCOLL » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:44 pm

Its a good point. The lines between national and international competitions are blurred, and have been for a very long time. Turkey and Israel being prime examples, both are situated in Asia. New Zealand sides are in Australian leagues (last time I looked), same for Canadian sides in USA leagues. And Derry City, a UK club, competes in the LOI.
In my opinion, the Challenge Cup should be viewed as a 'national' Scottish (League) competition, with invited clubs. If those invited clubs win the damn thing, then a rethink may be in order!
Excluding C Division from historical records is a no-no in my opinion, these were bona fide Scottish League divisions, regardless of whether a first team or reserve won it.
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.nf

prorege

Post by prorege » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:21 am

Regarding individual players, it is quite possible that someone may make an appearance(s) in the Challenge Cup for their club U20 side as well as playing for their first team in the League, League Cup or Scottish Cup.

My intention, for the Scottish Football Almanac, is to regard the clubs U20 side as a separate club for whom it is possible to make "first team" appearances in the Challenge Cup.

Over a long career this might show as Joe Bloggs with hundreds of first team appearances for Bogtown Thistle, plus one or two first team appearances for Bogtown Thistle U20.

Thoughts?

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:13 pm

prorege wrote:Regarding individual players, it is quite possible that someone may make an appearance(s) in the Challenge Cup for their club U20 side as well as playing for their first team in the League, League Cup or Scottish Cup.

My intention, for the Scottish Football Almanac, is to regard the clubs U20 side as a separate club for whom it is possible to make "first team" appearances in the Challenge Cup.

Over a long career this might show as Joe Bloggs with hundreds of first team appearances for Bogtown Thistle, plus one or two first team appearances for Bogtown Thistle U20.

Thoughts?
It's also quite possible for Joe Bloggs to be on Development Loan to Bogtown United and play for them in the League (and potentially other cups) whilst being recalled to play for his parent club u20's in the Challenge Cup under the Development loan provisions and end up playing against Bogtown United in that competition I think. SPFL rules forbid playing against your parent club whilst on loan. So far as I know at the moment however there is no opposite rule preventing you from playing against your loan club in the Challenge Cup if you are on Development Loan. Players will however still be prevented by the cup tied rules from representing both clubs in the same cup.

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:39 pm

I'm not convinced by this latest 'revolutionary idea' I'm afraid.

Can I see many fans of say Dundee United, Hibernian, Falkirk or Raith Rovers turn up to see their team face Hamilton, Ross County or Partick Thistle U20s? No chance and, quite frankly, embarrassing.

Call me cynical, but on the basis that only the U20s of the Old Firm will command any moderate followings, is this a half-baked effort at introducing the previously proposed Old Firm Colt teams?

As for the Welsh League, only the Rhyl v Prestatyn Town 'derby match' produced crowds in excess of 1,000!

Just when you think our national game can't sink any lower....

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:10 am

We already have this anomaly

The first XIs of amongst others of Aberdeen , Dundee United competed v Hearts 'A' in the North-Eastern Division during WWII.

I don't count them as 'First Team' fixtures from a Hearts perspective but i'm sure Aberdeen and Dundee United do!
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson