BARCA 7, CELTIC 0

The place to discuss Scottish football
LEATHERSTOCKING

BARCA 7, CELTIC 0

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:21 am

I keep thinking Scotttish football can`t sink any lower and then along comes....Ande their manager "isn`t embarrassed"!

ScottishFA

Re: BARCA 7, CELTIC 0

Post by ScottishFA » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:37 am

I detect a theme here. This is what he said in July after losing to Red Imps:

"There is obvious disappointment. There is no embarrassment. It was a tough game in tough conditions. We didn't take our chances, they took their chance."

In the greater scheme of things, I would prefer to see my team being hammered by Barcelona than losing by any score to a team from Gibraltar.

Aten

Post by Aten » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:37 am

Have we actually sunk any lower? Is it really that embarrassing?

Three years ago Celtic lost 6-1 at the same place so arguably a 7-0 loss is indeed a regression. If your champions are regarded as the best team in the country then such a defeat reflects not only on the club but the standard of the country as a whole. If the standard of the country's league is poor to start with then unless and until that standard improves then the potential for such a result is always going to happen. If your champions have no sustained challenge then how does it improve?

Celtic's defensive personnel did not the ability to shut out Barcelona in a way that say Athletico Madrid could do, nor did they have the offensive personnel with the ability to go "toe to toe" in the way Real Madrid could do. So the only option was ball retention. This failed too because Celtic find it easy to do at home because no team at home has the ability to press the game so high up in the way Barcelona did.

For over 4 years people who should know better have been banging on incessantly that things will not improve until a certain named team was "back were they belong", that the only viable challenge will come from that team, that Scottish football needs that renowned team to make things improve. Well on the evidence on show at the weekend put paid to that myth. Rangers are no threat to the majority of the SP Premiership teams.

Scottish football is not in the financial position to buy and pay for the quality it needs to improve so it needs to produce home grown talent which unfortunately is pretty thin on the ground at present. The sad reality is that no sooner does a player with potential ability appear he is punted off to England to play in a grunt league with grunt coaching and tactics. Punted, I may add, before the potential is realised and inevitably never comes to fruition.

Unless and until Scotland can produce and retain potential ability to improve the overall standard then results like last night may become the norm. All a club like Celtic can do is keep trying to qualify for the Champions League and hopefully improve and learn from the high standard they are up against because at present they are not getting tested for Champions League quality at home.

Was last night's result a surprise? No. Was it an embarrassment? Not really. There was no shame in losing in such a manner to probably the best team in the world. Personally I found the game a joy to watch despite the hammering. This was top quality football, this is how every team should strive to play.

lbb

Post by lbb » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:45 am

I knew it had to be Rangers fault somehow.

Their manager should be embarrassed. The day you shrug off a 7-0 defeat is the day you're in trouble.

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:32 pm

Regardless of the opposition, and in this instance we're talking of a truly super team boasting a legendary frontline, it still made for grim viewing.
There was no determination, heart or desire in the Celtic team. They appeared beaten before the game even started. In all honesty, following desperate away performances in Gibraltar and Israel, it was always likely to be another forgettable excursion.
Where has the old never-say-die attitude of us Scots gone? Why no physicality? I know the modern game has evolved to a virtual 'non-contact sport' at times but it can't be too much to ask for a decent challenge here and there.
As for Rodgers and his insistence on 'zonal marking', I'll reiterate that well used question "When did a zone ever score a goal?". I watched on Fox Sports last night and match analyst Tony Dorigo described the Celtic defence as 'training cones to practice one-twos with'. How apt.
7-0 in a European match is embarrassing and means Celtic have equalled Hibernian's pitiful effort of three years back against Malmo in sharing the heaviest continental loss ever sustained by Scottish representatives.
Barcelona or not, it must rank as a humiliating result for a once-feared European Cup winner.
Call me old-fashioned or out of touch with the modern game but surely adoption of a more direct formation with an attempt to physically rattle the Barcelona rearguard couldn't have proved any less successful than what we witnessed last night. Why do we try to mimic a style that we're not comfortable with? To hell with the purists...get the ball in the box and play to what few strengths we used to have, namely physicality, desire, strength and determination.
Won't happen though because our clip-board carrying SFA coaching clones ain't got a clue and individual thinking and creative freedoms are taboo.
The end is indeed nigh.

lbb

Post by lbb » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:47 am

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:40 pm

It's undoubtedly an embarrassing result and if Rodgers doesn't think losing 1-0 to a team from Gibraltar, or 7-0 to Barcelona, is embarrassing then you have to ask what is going to qualify so in his eyes. Perhaps losing 7-0 to a team from Gibraltar... Tbf, it's not as if such scores are only a recent phenomenon, though: 1959-60 saw Rangers 4-12 Eintracht (1-6, 6-3).

Alan McCabe

Post by Alan McCabe » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:58 pm

The only thing I'd counter that example with HJ, is Rangers heavy loss was actually in the Semi-Final of the European Cup. The idea of such advancement being achieved by any Scottish clubs in the future is frankly fanciful.
I've read many accounts from that time which suggest Eintracht Frankfurt would probably have been crowned European champions had they faced any club bar Real Madrid in that legendary Hampden final.

Aten

Post by Aten » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:10 am

The bottom line in all this is that the standard of our football has been in decline for over 30 years and the impression is that it has still to reach its nadir. I still maintain the result was less of an embarrassment but more of a humbling experience. The lesson was there for all to see – this is how far we have declined.

I disagree with you, Alan, on the point of physicality. These days have gone and had Celtic adopted a more robust attitude then they might have come off even worse. Referees nowadays, especially in European matches, have no tolerance for the so-called “crunching” tackle. What players might get away with in domestic football, they cannot get away with in European football especially given the penchant of the modern player going down easily to gain advantage. Stopping your opponents playing by any means and “parking the bus” just to get a result or to save face is a cowardly attitude in my opinion. 90% of the time it does not work anyway and in the rare occasion that it does, it is a hollow victory.

The answer is to learn from the masters and it comes down to basic ball skills and improving technique. Our footballers are no longer comfortable on the ball because the first emphasis is always not to lose instead of trying to win. It is always easier to destroy than to create. Better to try to win in a positive and creative manner than to lose ugly.

Celtic have to take that result and learn from it by improving the players technique. The goal each season has to be reaching the Champions League Group stage and from there try to get above their seeded ranking. It is only by facing a higher standard of opponent can you hope to raise your own standard. Until Scottish clubs wake up and smell the coffee and start producing ball players instead of hammer throwers then the downward spiral will continue.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:53 pm

Well, last night certainly provided a measure of redemption for Celtic and for Brendan Rodgers. What a contrast! While the game could have gone either way, and there were critical mistakes on both teams which led to goals, there can be no faulting the approach and effort put in by the home team. If they can maintain that level of performance in the remaining group games then they will certainly pick up more points.

And interestingly, for those who call for a robust and physical approach - not a single yellow card for either team.