Old Scottish football ground

The place to discuss Scottish football

Re: Old Scottish football ground

Postby Angusfifer » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:01 am

East Fife didn't play at Powderhall in 1929-30. The Leith Athletic game was definitely played at Marine Gardens. Both pics are from that season...
Angusfifer

Postby bluedragon » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:19 am

From what I can gather the Marine Gardens sports ground only had a pavilion from 1928 with permission to erect a grandstand given in 1932. However, there is definitely a grandstand in the background of the team photograph from 1929/30. There are people gathering in the background for a match so it definitely looks like a pre-match photograph as opposed to one being posed for at a training session. It’s a mystery as everything else ties in with it being the game versus Leith Athletic at Marine Gardens on 29 March 1930. The only other possible clue is the notice/scoreboard in the background with “Event No Red” legible. What is that speedway or greyhounds? If it was one or the other it would help tie the venue down.
bluedragon

Postby ScottishFA » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:55 am

I would still go for Marine Gardens, as it did have a small grandstand in 1930, albeit not in a very useful place - behind the goal. Here is a photo of Leith Athletic's championship-winning team in 1930, in front of the dressing rooms, and you can see the start of the wooden stand to the right.

Next, here is an aerial photo of Marine Gardens, with dressing rooms and grandstand visible to top left, as well as another building. Unfortunately it is cropped but I think you can just see the base of the scoreboard.

It would make sense for East Fife (and Leith) to take a team photo at the end nearest the dressing rooms. And while you can just see that the seated stand is busy behind the East Fife team, there are not many people standing as it would not be a very good vantage point to see the game.
ScottishFA

Postby bluedragon » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:56 am

Thanks Andy. I am sure it must be Marine Gardens as that what everything points to it. I found another photograph in “Britain from Above” that is also cut-off at the western end of the ground. This shows low terracing behind the goal and on the Esplanade side and much higher terracing on the Seafield Road side.

In the East Fife photograph you can see a pitch line just behind the players. This could then be the goal line with the semi-circle of the track bending behind it and the grandstand being behind the goal. The goal posts would be just out of shot on the left-hand side. As you say, compared with the rest of the ground it would not a great viewing point leading to only a scattering of spectators.

I’ll go for Marine Gardens.
bluedragon

Previous

Return to Scottish Football