Old Scottish football ground

The place to discuss Scottish football

Old Scottish football ground

Postby Angusfifer » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:08 am

Can anyone help identify the location of this pic please? The team is East Fife and the season is either 1929-30 or 1930-31. It looks like a dog racing track in the background...

Angusfifer

Re: Old Scottish football ground

Postby Angusfifer » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:12 am

Having identified the individuals involved, I've narrowed down the venue to either Gayfield or Ochilview. I'm pretty sure it's not Gayfield...

Edited to add, definitely Ochilview - apparently greyhound racing was held there from 1926-27.

Cheers guys! :P
Angusfifer

Postby BMCCOLL » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:51 pm

Asked... and answered! Well done! 8)
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.uk
BMCCOLL

Postby Alan McCabe » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:04 pm

I'm still puzzled by this picture.

I don't doubt that Stenhousemuir operated as a greyhound venue for a short spell but I'm not recognising Ochilview. Also, why would East Fife not be wearing their traditional gold and black stripes?

I'm not disputing your answer, merely a bit curious.

PS...could it be Powderhall?
Alan McCabe

Postby Angusfifer » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:03 am

I'm 99 percent certain about the identity of the individuals in the pic - have cross-referenced them with other team photos of the time - fortunately there are a few, as we won promotion for the first time that season. The only occasions these eleven played together away from home (it's definitely not Bayview) were at Arbroath, Leith Athletic (I have a team pic of them before that game wearing black and gold) and Stenhousemuir.
Not sure why they are wearing their change kit.
Re Powderhall - Leith Athletic played their home games at Marine Gardens that season - their game v East Fife attracted a ground record crowd of 18,079.
The Ochilview game was the third last of the campaign, with East Fife sitting top of the league, so it was presumably a big enough attraction for a team photograph...
Angusfifer

Postby Boabthe warrior » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:18 pm

Like Alan I'm 99% sure it's not Ochilview, dog racing took place at the ground in April 1927 but have no note of any other dog meetings. Could it be a Penman Cup tie in Edinburgh.
Boabthe warrior

Postby Angusfifer » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:33 am

Do you have any old pics of Ochilview Boab? I'd be interested to see what it was like pre-war. My first visit was in 1981, it probably looked very different back then...
Angusfifer

Postby Alan McCabe » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:46 am

I've got a few photos from the Falkirk Herald archive from around this time and see no evidence of lights that would've suggested a greyhound track. Falkirk certainly had greyhound racing at Brockville but I'm not seeing anything in your picture to suggest its Ochilview. There appears to be the end of a low grandstand to the left of the team and with the entrance gates behind I'm drawn to Powderhall as a location. Only a guess mind!
Alan McCabe

Postby Angusfifer » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:41 pm

Okay. Here is a pic of the same players which I have as being taken the previous Saturday at Marine Gardens. Could this be Ochilview?

Angusfifer

Postby Boabthe warrior » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:16 pm

This looks more like Ochilview, in front of the famous 1928 stand
Boabthe warrior

Postby ScottishFA » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:33 pm

And I would also say that the first photo is Marine Gardens. They had speedway at the time, and although there isn't much background to go on, the style of overhead lights for the track is the same.

It would also make sense re change strip for that match - Leith Athletic played in stripes, while Stennie were in maroon.
ScottishFA

Postby bluedragon » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:16 pm

ScottishFA wrote: there isn't much background to go on, the style of overhead lights for the track is the same.

The ground in the photograph looks to be quite restricted and I think I can see the perimeter wall at the back whereas old photographs of Marine Gardens show it to be bigger and more open with a wide track around the pitch. However, the Marine Gardens photographs I found are undated so that probably does not help much!
bluedragon

Postby Angusfifer » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:48 pm

Well, there you go. I'd wrongly assumed that the second pic was from the big top of the league clash, Leith Athletic v East Fife (stop sniggering at the back). Then the first pic appeared, same line-up. Looks like I had them the wrong way around. Cheers guys...
Angusfifer

Postby Alan McCabe » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:39 pm

Got to say that I'm still inclined to suggest Powderhall.
Looking at the few aerial pictures of Marine Gardens I'm not sure it was as tight to the pitch as the picture seems to suggest. Also, I don't see any grandstand at Marine Gardens.
Leith Athletic were at Powderhall immediately prior to moving to the exposed foreshore at Portobello and did play East Fife there in 1927-28. Had the picture been the one that posted an 18,000+ crowd then I'm fairly sure I'd expect more spectators in the background.
Alan McCabe

Postby bluedragon » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:24 am

I agree that if it is between Marine Gardens and Powderhall then I think it is more likely to be Powderhall. The other clue is the building next to the grandstand. At Powderhall there was such a building. I assume it was for the judges at greyhound racing. Photographs of Powderhall from 1937, later than the original photograph, show that it was a bigger building but it may have been expanded in the intervening period.
bluedragon

Next

Return to Scottish Football