Tommy McCulloch RIP

The place to discuss Scottish football

Tommy McCulloch RIP

Postby Shawfield Boy » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:58 pm

It's with great sadness that I have to bring the news that Tommy McCulloch, Clyde's legendary Goalkeeper of the late Fifties, Sixties and early Seventies passed away last Saturday.

I got to know Tommy a bit over the last few years, and in fact he was one of the first former players I inducted into the Clyde FC Hall of Fame. He was also inducted three years after that as part of the 1966/67 team.

His goalkeeping appearances area a club record, as are his shut-outs, and of course he provided a link with a far more glorious past for the Bully Wee, having been the goalie when Clyde last won the Scottish Cup in 1958. He won a Glasgow Charity Cup a couple of weeks later, then five months or so after that the Glasgow Cup provided a hat-trick of medals in a six-month spell.

My first game at Shawfield was the relegation-decider against Airdrie at the very end of 71-72, and that was also Tommy's last Clyde game (although he played for Hamilton against Clyde at Douglas Park in the Second Division the following season).

Tommy McCulloch, a gentleman and a legend.
Shawfield Boy

Return to Scottish Football