DENIS LAW

The place to discuss Scottish football

DENIS LAW

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:50 pm

Seventy seven today! When will we ever see his like again in a dark blue jersey? I can still see his arrogant strut, the cuffs of his jersey pulled down over his fists. Happy birthday, Denis.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Re: DENIS LAW

Postby bluedragon » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:40 am

Hear! Hear!

I would also add a real gentleman. One day I was walking along the street to see a huge queue that originated from a book shop. I was told Denis Law was signing his latest book but he was reported to be running very late and people thought they were unlikely to get to the front before a halt was called to the proceedings to allow him to get to his next engagement. Well I joined the queue and was amazed that after a long wait I was face-to-face with the great man. He was completely unhurried with a word for everyone and made sure he had the correct spelling for the dedication that he signed in flowing hand-writing. Needless to say all this was done with his trademark mischievous grin!

I would hazard a guess that he has more biographies/autobiographies published than any other Scottish footballer?

On another occasion I had being eyeing up another book (“My life in football”) and my instinct told me to wait for the price to be reduced. One day I found it at half price! However, the book has two versions that were sitting side-by-side on the shelf. One - for English readership - in a red hard cover, red jacket and the “Lawman” in Manchester United kit and at HALF price. The second - for local consumption - was in a dark blue hard cover, dark blue jacket and the aforementioned Aberdonian in an action pose in Scotland kit at FULL price. A very helpful assistant while being oblivious to the great man by virtue of her youth however understood my point – exactly the same book, different covers and different prices but I wanted the “Scotland” cover. This was escalated up to her supervisor and to the manager and I got the “blue” version at half price!
bluedragon

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:14 pm

One other anniversary = 20th September; Sophia Loren`ll be 83. Eighty three for gods` sake!!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. Sorry, I`ll be OK in a minute.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Vasco » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:06 am

He pulled out of one of those Scottish Football Legends shows at the Armadillo at the beginning of the year. Rumour had it then that he wasn't too clever healthwise.
Vasco

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:09 pm

If true, very sorry to hear that. He took a great deal of physical punishmentduring his career both intentionally & unintentionally ie. heading a heavy leather ball. Mind you, he was quite capable of getting his revenge in first. I remember him playing an International @ Hampden when with the ball miles away, he turned & gubbed his marker & I thought,"Oh Denis my hero`s got feet of clay" but I discovered later the lamped one had been "tapping" his ankles all evening & spitting on him. Remember the photograph of him coming off the field against, I think, those cuddly imps Leeds(Jack Charlton & co.) with just the collar of his jersey still intact?
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Snuff » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:23 am

And, of course, Denis was memorably dropped after the 9-3 game, allegedly for kicking Bobby Robson, right in front of the Queen.

Denis has always claimed that Robson kicked him first, and I never recall Sir Bobby denying this.

English referee Jim Finney is alleged to have said he abandoned the Scotland v Austria game in 1963, to save the Austrians from further punishment, after Law and Dave Mackay decided it was time they started kicking the Austrians back. Finney reckoned, if that pair were about to start putting the boot in, the visitors were in huge trouble.
Snuff
Snuff

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:45 pm

In the infamous Austria game, it is also alleged that Jim Baxter gave referee Finney a sly punch in the stomach during a melee and after a few more minutes Finney, still winded, decided it was time to call time. I`m sure there was a photograph in that season`s SCOTTISH FOOTBALL BOOK of Finney doubled up as players including an innocent looking Slim Jim fracased(new word?) behind him.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby Snuff » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:28 am

Forrest old chap, I fear you may have got your games mixed-up.

I think the match in which the referee is pictured, doubled over in pain, with Baxter lurking close by was the Scotland v Uruguay match at Hampden on 2 May, 1962, rather than the Austria game, which was played on 8 May, 1963. Different English referee to, it was a Mr Holland who was in the middle for the Uruguay game, not Jim Finney who had the Austria game.

There is a picture of the incident to which you refer on page 69 of Anrew Ward's 1987 Breedon ublishing book: 'Scotland the Team'.

This clearly identifies the game as v Uruguay, while Paddy Crerand, who didn't lay v Austria, is being restrained by Davie Wilson.
Snuff
Snuff

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:11 am

You`re absolutely right - it was a senior moment. I got it right about an hour after posting. I can picture the picture; there`s a Uruguayan in the left foreground grappling with Crerand(?). Mr.Finney abandoned the game vs. Austria when the second Austrian he`d sent off refused to leave the field.
Having a senior moment reminds me of the old joke about the elderly biddie being introduced to our dear Queen Mother in a home some years ago. The old dear(the resident, not the one with the British Rail yellow teeth) was rambling on about things when the dear Queen Mother asked,"Do you know who I am?" to which the wheelchair bound one replied,"No but if you ask matron she`ll tell you." Tee hee, eh?
LEATHERSTOCKING

Return to Scottish Football