Edward Paterson

The place to discuss Scottish football

Edward Paterson

Postby RobertB » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:42 am

I dont presently have access to my books and discs so was looking for any information on Edward Paterson. He signed for Arthurlie in 1936 from Larkhall Gardner's, also quoted as Larkhall Athletic. He spent three very successful seasons at Arthurlie before moving south to join Portsmouth before returning north and eventually playing for Hamilton.

I have his full details from his time with Arthurlie but any additional information would be greatly received.

At the recent Larkhall v Arthurlie game during a half time pint got talking to someone who mentioned that Eddie's son, Eddie junr was his son in law and he would pass on my email, actually met him at the end of the game and he has emailed me over pictures of his fathers Scottish Cup winners medal from 1937 the first I have seen one from Arthurlies first junior win.

Anyway thanks in advance for any help.

Robert
RobertB

Re: Edward Paterson

Postby bluedragon » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:21 pm

John Litster’s disk shows Edward Paterson as a Junior Cup winner with Arthurlie in the 1936/37 season. He is also shown signing for Arbroath on 8 June 1938 as a provisional signing.

He is reported to have signed for Portsmouth in June 1939. However, he does not appear as a Portsmouth first team player no doubt at least partly due to the abandonment of the 1939/40 Football League season on the outbreak of the Second World War. He is still on Portsmouth’s books in the 1945/46 season but it looks from John Litster’s disk as if may have played for Falkirk during the War but signed for Hamiton Academical on 26 July 1946 after being released by Portsmouth. Again, John’s disk said he played two league games for Accies in the 1946/47 season.

At the time of joining Portsmouth one newspaper said:

The winger is not of the bulky make but he is undoubtedly clever. Men like Morton, Caskie, Troup and Cook have shown that lack of inches is no handicap to a winger who has sufficient ability. Paterson will endeavour to join that noticeable band”.
bluedragon

Postby ScottishFA » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:07 pm

He didn't make any wartime appearances for Portsmouth until 1945-46, when he played three league matches.

However, I am not sure he is the E Paterson who was with Falkirk in 1942. He was in the Glasgow Perthshire team that won the Scottish Junior Cup in 1941, and when he signed for Falkirk in March 1942 he played at inside left, was 'a new player by the name of Paterson' and then 'Paterson, a West of Scotland junior of the Jackie Law type'. He joined the Army in April 1942, and according to the Falkirk Herald of 25 July 1942 he was serving with the Forces, but regularly available 'meantime'. He was transferred south with his unit in September 1942.
ScottishFA

Postby RobertB » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:11 pm

Many thanks to both.
RobertB

Return to Scottish Football