1967 and all that!

The place to discuss Scottish football

1967 and all that!

Postby bluedragon » Thu May 25, 2017 9:25 am

I enjoyed watching BBC Scotland’s programme on the Lisbon Lions last night. With the exception of the demise of Third Lanark, what a year that was! Here is my list. Is it complete?

Club

European Cup winners – Celtic
European Cup Winners’ Cup losing finalists – Rangers (only non-Scot in the final was Kai Johansen)
Inter-Cities Fairs Cup losing semi-finalists – Kilmarnock (only non-Scot in the semi-finals was Carl Bertelsen although there were four Scots in the Leeds United team)

International

British Home Championship winners and defeating reigning World Cup holders – Scotland
UEFA Nations Amateur Cup losing finalists – Scotland
British Amateur Championship runners up – Scotland
British Universities Championship winners – Scotland
bluedragon

Re: 1967 and all that!

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri May 26, 2017 7:00 am

For goodness sake! - Queen`s Park`s centenary. This year it`s the sesquicentennial - just 44 days & 12 hours to go. Only 2 teams scored 3 goals @ Parkhead that season & QP was one of them - a goal up in 60 seconds too. Sadly, the Spiders didn`t get the chance to play Inter.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri May 26, 2017 7:00 am

For goodness sake! - Queen`s Park`s centenary. This year it`s the sesquicentennial - just 44 days & 12 hours to go. Only 2 teams scored 3 goals @ Parkhead that season & QP was one of them - a goal up in 60 seconds too. Sadly, the Spiders didn`t get the chance to play Inter.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri May 26, 2017 7:01 am

So good, I`d to tell you twice.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby bluedragon » Fri May 26, 2017 12:19 pm

I am correctly reprimanded - twice!

By way of amends can I add to the 1967 achievements by saying that six Queen's Park players played for the English-dominated Great Britain XI in the three games played that year? In two of the three games there were three Spiders - we are still trying to find the line-up of the third game versus Iceland.
bluedragon

Postby BMCCOLL » Fri May 26, 2017 5:11 pm

... and Queen's also held the GB team to a 0-0 draw in their centenary match.

Queen's player for GB in 1967...
8 Aug v Sweden U23s E Hunter, NCR Hopper, M McKay
11 Aug v Ireland LAC Taylor, W Neil, NCR Hopper
14 Aug v Iceland NCR Hopper (4 missing names so possibly another one at least)

and in the trial matches...
4 Sep Chelsea MA Hay
11 Sep Charlton JAC Taylor, W Neil
9 Oct Celtic MA Hay, NCR Hopper, MD McKay, W Neil (sub)
16 Oct Watford MA Hay, MD McKay, J Taylor (sub), W Neil (sub), NCR Hopper (sub)
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.uk
BMCCOLL

Postby LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri May 26, 2017 7:31 pm

Tch, you`ve got it the wrong way round; GB held Queen`s to a goal-less draw in 1967. Malky`s name is spelled Mackay. Goalie John Taylor,`s full initials are J.H.C.
LEATHERSTOCKING

Postby BMCCOLL » Fri May 26, 2017 8:54 pm

we strive for perfection, because we are, well, um, perfeistctnios... but I see qpfc.com has JAC, can you enlighten us please?
BMCCOLL

Postby Snuff » Fri May 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Re the Great Britain Amateur XI game v Iceland. I recall John Taylor, the QP and GB goalkeeper, telling me once, he, Eddie Hunter and Billy Neil were pulled-out of the squad to travel to Iceland, Queen's needed them for the team to play Cowdenbeath the next day.
Snuff
Snuff

Postby bluedragon » Fri May 26, 2017 10:24 pm

Thanks Matt.

We know the names of 7 of the GB team that played against Iceland on 14 August 1967 and they are:

George Cumming (Partick Thistle)
Derek Gamblin (Sutton United)
Rod Haider (Hendon)
Niall Hopper (Queen's Park)
Edward Powell (Sutton United)
Ian Reid (Enfield)
John Swannell (Hendon)

The Evening Times of 12 August 1967 says in the Queen’s Park v Cowdenbeath match report that Bill Neil, Niall Hopper and Malky Mackay were “with the British Olympic party in Iceland”. John Taylor and Eddie Hunter are listed in the Queen’s line-up against Cowdenbeath.

So with those two Queen’s Park players returning home and assuming there were no replacements added we reckon the other 4 were taken from the following 7 players:

Larry Pritchard (Sutton United)
John Robertson (Tooting and Mitcham United)
Roy Sleap (Hendon)
Charlie Townsend (Wealdstone)
Dave Andrews (Leytonstone)
Malky Mackay (Queen's Park)
Bill Neil (Queen's Park)

It could be a fair assumption that Malky Mackay and Bill Neil played against Iceland otherwise they would have returned to play against Cowdenbeath.
bluedragon

Postby BMCCOLL » Fri May 26, 2017 11:04 pm

and a big HUZZZZZAH for this!
BMCCOLL

Postby HibeeJibee » Sat May 27, 2017 11:38 am

bluedragon wrote:I enjoyed watching BBC Scotland’s programme on the Lisbon Lions last night. With the exception of the demise of Third Lanark, what a year that was! Here is my list. Is it complete?

Club

European Cup winners – Celtic
European Cup Winners’ Cup losing finalists – Rangers (only non-Scot in the final was Kai Johansen)
Inter-Cities Fairs Cup losing semi-finalists – Kilmarnock (only non-Scot in the semi-finals was Carl Bertelsen although there were four Scots in the Leeds United team)

International

British Home Championship winners and defeating reigning World Cup holders – Scotland
UEFA Nations Amateur Cup losing finalists – Scotland
British Amateur Championship runners up – Scotland
British Universities Championship winners – Scotland

To that I suppose you should add Celtic's quintuple, and (IIRC) Morton set some kind of record unbeaten run or run of wins in getting promoted?

There are also the novelty aspects of the SFA world tour and the 3 Scottish clubs (Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Hibs) who spent the summer playing in the United Soccer Association in North America under "assumed names".

Also who can forget the greatest giant-killing history, Berwick Rangers 1-0 Rangers, delivered in February 1967.

Cooke and Ure played for the Rest of the World v Spain in the Bernabeu.
HibeeJibee

Postby bluedragon » Sat May 27, 2017 1:27 pm

Thank you. These have now been added to the 1967 Honours Board.

Aberdeen (Washington Whips), Dundee United (Dallas Tornado) and Hibernian (Toronto City) played in the USA. Washington Whips won the East Division but lost in the Championship play-off to West Division winners Los Angeles (Wolverhampton Wanderers).

Bobby Clark was top of the goalkeepers' table (Gordon Banks was in 8th place)

Four Scots were in the USA All-Star XI team:

G Bobby Clark, Washington Whips
D Pat Stanton, Toronto City
M Jim Baxter, Vancouver Royal Canadians
M Tommy McMillan, Washington Whips

I believe Morton won 25 consecutive league game to set that record you mentioned.
bluedragon

Postby HibeeJibee » Sat May 27, 2017 7:45 pm

Scottish football was in demand globally.

Outwith the U-S-A tournament, Dundee and Dunfermline met the Manchester clubs and Chelsea in tour matches across America.

Hearts toured Iceland. Queen's Park toured Sierra Leone. Before the season had finished Rangers visited Toronto. There are probably others.

Of course Celtic's EC victory saw them become only Scottish club to play in the Intercontinental Cup.
HibeeJibee

Postby Snuff » Sun May 28, 2017 6:54 pm

Should we not also include the fact the Scottish FA squad toured the world unbeaten?

Played 9 - won 9 - drawn 0 - lost 0 - for 33 - against 9.
Snuff
Snuff

Next

Return to Scottish Football