First of Many I Guess...

The place to discuss Scottish football

First of Many I Guess...

Postby RobertB » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:29 pm

I'm as ever looking for some information, I am finally trying to write something about Arthurlie after years of research and I have a question, one of many I will no doubt ask in the coming weeks.

When Arthurlie won the Scottish junior cup in 1937 the parade through Barrhead was led by a piper but the 'support' broke out in renditions of Follow, Follow. Obviously that's now a Rangers song but does anyone know of the origins of the song? Reading the article it seems that it was a staple of most clubs of the time, any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
RobertB

Re: First of Many I Guess...

Postby cowdenbeather » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:45 pm

Its words and lyrics are based on the revivalist hymn “Follow On” written by the Rev William Cushing in 1878.

Follow! follow! I would follow Jesus!
Anywhere, everywhere, I would follow on!
Follow! follow! I would follow Jesus!
Everywhere he leads me I would follow on!
cowdenbeather

Postby RobertB » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:22 pm

I had a few ideas on what to expect but that wasnt in my top 100! Thanks for that!
RobertB

Postby cowdenbeather » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:12 pm

Meant to add probably helped in gaining popularity by being a tune the Salvation Army Band would play
cowdenbeather

Postby HibeeJibee » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Perhaps unsurprisingly, quite a lot of terrace chants and songs have their origin in hymns and other religious songs.

Off the top of my head - "When the Saints Go Marching In" (self-explanatory)... "This is my Story, This is my Song" / "Blessed Assurance, Jesus is Mine"... "Stand Free"+"We are XYZ FC" / "Lord of the Dance"... "You're not Singing Any More" / "Guide me O, Though Great Redeemer"... "Glory Glory to the Hibees" / "Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory"... "We Shall Not Be Moved" / "Like tree that's planted by the Water, I Shall Not Be Moved".

There are others. I scribbled a list once, if I find it I'll post more.
HibeeJibee

Postby Swampy » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:30 pm

HibeeJibee wrote:Perhaps unsurprisingly, quite a lot of terrace chants and songs have their origin in hymns and other religious songs.

Off the top of my head - "When the Saints Go Marching In" (self-explanatory)... "This is my Story, This is my Song" / "Blessed Assurance, Jesus is Mine"... "Stand Free"+"We are XYZ FC" / "Lord of the Dance"... "You're not Singing Any More" / "Guide me O, Though Great Redeemer"... "Glory Glory to the Hibees" / "Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory"... "We Shall Not Be Moved" / "Like tree that's planted by the Water, I Shall Not Be Moved".

There are others. I scribbled a list once, if I find it I'll post more.

Kumbaya has been adapted by many teams for three-syllable players, such as Brian Wake at Morton.

It's not a novel observation but it does bear repeating sometimes that football support isn't hugely dissimilar in outward appearances from church worship. Spiritually is another question.
Swampy

Return to Scottish Football