Extra Time in Scottish Football

The place to discuss Scottish football
RobertB

Extra Time in Scottish Football

Post by RobertB » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:51 pm

Sorry if I have missed it on here but does anyone know when 'extra time' was introduced in Scottish Football? The reason I ask is that although I am sure it happened before I came accross an Arthurlie match report last night from the 4th Round v South Western in 1880. In my notes previously I had that the game finished 1-1 but the tie was awarded to Arthurlie, the match report from The Paisley Herald and Renfrewshire Advertise December 4 1880, the report states that on finishing all square 'it was agreed to exyend play for half an hour to enable the game to be decided, the result being in favour of Arthurlie, who added another goal to their previous one, making it a win for the home players by two goals to one.

I am basically just curious regards the statement, 'it was agreed' making me wonder if the choice of playing extra time was given to the teams involved or if it was a rule?

Thanks

HibeeJibee

Re: Extra Time in Scottish Football

Post by HibeeJibee » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:52 pm

I think that must have been an 'exceptional' arrangement.

It looks like extra-time in 2nd replays onward was introduced in 1908-09. Famously there was confusion when the Final 1st replay didn't go to extra-time causing riot and in the end the cup wasn't awarded. After this extra-time was introduced in the 1st replay in finals and was needed the following season with Dundee v Clyde. Before WWI there were two 2nd replays in earlier rounds which went to extra-time... Beith-Broxburn in 1908-09 which actually went through extra-time twice and was finally settled in the 4th replay, and Third Lanark-Stevenston in 1913-14.

Extra-time in 1st replays before the final seems to have been introduced in 1922-23 though oddly Royal Albert v Clydebank in R1 didn't have it but Dundee v Third Lanark in R4 did and they appear throughout the rounds thereafter.

Extra-time in the first Final tie appears in 1980-81, although I suppose it might have been introduced (but not needed) the previous season after the Rangers-Hibs epic.

Extra-time in the first Semi-Final ties was never abolished until SF replays themselves were scrapped for 2007-08 after Hibs v Dunfermline saga the previous season.

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:53 pm

Worth adding that special arrangements applied in the late 1940s due to the "Fuel Crisis" and productivity scare.

At the end of February/start of March 1947 restrictions were introduced on midweek football. Hearts v Cowdenbeath in R3 which had been postponed went to extra-time whereas the other drawn ties a fortnight before had gone to replays. Dundee v Aberdeen in QF went to extra-time, then into a *second* period of extra-time under "next goal the winner" (Aberdeen scored 9mins in). Hibs v Motherwell in SF was the same (Hibs scored 22mins in i.e. after 142mins of play).

Following season extra-time again applied in first ties but there were no additional periods. Motherwell v Hamilton in R1 (which required a replay); Partick v Dundee Utd in R2; Morton v Celtic in SF; and Rangers v Morton in Final were so affected.

Things appear to have returned to normal for 1948-49 - although oddly the first Semi-Final of Clyde v Dundee went to extra-time (perhaps by mutual agreement?).

It also affected League Cup... in 1946-47 the Airdrie v Hibs QF 2nd leg went to extra-time; 2nd legs were omitted in 1948-49 with extra-time in QF, SF and Final first ties.

RobertB

Post by RobertB » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:02 pm

Thanks for that, it was the first replay so looking at dates, the cup was regionalised then I understand, so Arthurlie played the first game on November 13th, replay on 27th, guessing 20th was off, then the following week it was a Renfrewshire Cup tie before the Scottish on December 11th then no game until the quarter final on Christmas Day against Vale of Leven. Could regions have allowed or forced games to go to extra time in their region to stop a potential backlog?

RobertB

Post by RobertB » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:46 pm

Just realised that it wans't even a reply, the first game finished Arthurlie 4 South Western 3 but SW appealed on the grounds that the last 30 minutes of the game were played in near darkness and the appeal being upheld and a replay ordered.

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:59 pm

Almost certainly such instances were just bespoke agreements - perhaps to avoid another long journey; cancelling an upcoming local cup-tie or glamour friendly; players' unavailability; etc.

Others pre-1908?:

1876-77 ... Final ... Vale of Leven v Rangers
1877-78 ... SF ... Renton v Third Lanark
1879-80 ... R6 rep ... Third Lanark v Thornliebank
1880-81 ... R1 ... Coupar Angus v Strathmore
1881-82 ... R1 ... Bridge of Allan v Thistle Athletic
1881-82 ... R3 rep ... Kilbarchan v Johnstone (20mins extra-time)
1883-84 ... R1 rep ... Tollcross v Airdrie
1885-86 ... R2 2nd rep ... Hurlford v Kilmarnock
1888-89 ... R2 2nd rep ... Annbank v Hurlford (in 1st rep Hurlford decline to play extra-time)
1900-01 ... QF 2nd rep ... St Mirren v Third Lanark
1903-04 ... R1 2nd rep ... Kilmarnock v Nithsdale Wanderers
1906-07 ... QF 2nd rep ... Hibs v St Mirren

RobertB

Post by RobertB » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:34 pm

Thanks for that, I guess I will, until I find another instance, put it down as the first occasion Arthurlie played extra time.