John Byrne

The place to discuss Scottish football
RobertB

John Byrne

Post by RobertB » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:07 am

Ive seen John mentioned on these pages many times over the years, saddened to say he passed away on Wednesday. John hadnt been keeping well for a while but was still a regulat at Arthurlie home games up to the end of last season.

HibeeJibee

Re: John Byrne

Post by HibeeJibee » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:25 pm

Sad to hear this - man who compiled the complete Scottish Cup results book (1873-1986)? Always had great admiration for that... core resource for the history of the Scottish game and compiled in the pre-internet days when you had to get yourself along to a library or archive, roll your sleeves up, and trawl the pages whilst writing out the fruit of your labour in a notepad.

It stands alongside the likes of John Litster's work on player appearances, David Ross on attendances and Stewart Davidson on the Qualifying Cup as one of those monumental efforts we probably take for granted.

RobertB

Post by RobertB » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:08 pm

Yes thats him, a huge knowledge of all things football.

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:05 pm

A true trailblazer, I understand he had been ill for a number of years. His work on the Scottish Cup is phenonemal and must surely be regarded as the high point of research of the game in this country. Although I was interested in the historical side of football that book was what really got me into researching it myself. RIP, John.
http://scottish-football-historical-archive.co.nf

stewart

Post by stewart » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:46 am

Very sad to hear this. John was someone who got many of us started back in the pre-internet days and encouraged us 'younger' ones. I wouldnt have produced all the research and publications I did without his encouragement in the early days. He helped out a lot with details for the Scottish Qualifying Cup book I did.
A big Arthurlie and St Mirren fan and football in general. Wasnt it John that did the 'Short history of St Mirren' in the Saints programme back in the 1980s that ended up running to about 100 parts ?
He was also instrumental in keeping the meetings of the Scottish Football Historians Association alive for several years when it otherwise would have folded sooner than it did.
Though I hadnt spoke to him in quite a while, I still kept in touch with a copy of the Scottish Non League Review each year till it stopped a couple of years ago and always got a handwritten letter back thanking me. His handwriting was always almost as bad as mine though !

Stewart Davidson

Rob R

Post by Rob R » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:20 am

His Scottish Cup book saved me many a trip to the library . sad news . RIP John.