Olympic Games

The place to discuss Scottish football
Gersman

Olympic Games

Post by Gersman » Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:37 pm

Will these have any effect on Scotland? I'm thinking more of the national team as opposed to whether any of the fitba tournament will be played in Scotland.

Some boards are doing their nuts in about London getting the games. I don't see why. I can't think of any reason why Scotland's status in FIFA should be affected but I know a lot of people think differently. Can anyone explain why?
Fifty one and counting

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:18 pm

I must confess that I am an unashamed supporter of the London bid and am delighted that it has been successful. It is a simple fact that no other city in the UK ever stood a chance of success as the failures of Birmingham and Manchester in recent years testifies. It was always London or nothing. Apart from bringing the biggest sporting spectacle on Earth within easy reach there will be a dramatic increase in sporting facilities and massive improvements to a part of London which is one of the poorest in the UK.

Regarding Scotland’s status in FIFA I assume you’re thinking that participation in a GB football side at the Olympics might impact on that and lead to calls for a UK side for the World Cup?

I don’t think there’s anything to worry about. Firstly, who would benefit from such a move? Answer: no one. There’s no conceivable reason for any non-European country to be in the slightest bit bothered about Scotland’s (& lest we forget, England, Wales & Northern Ireland’s) status. Within UEFA the answer is the same but for different reasons. UEFA wants as many members as it can – witness the huge increase from just over 30 in the 1980s to over 50 now. Not all those new members are down to the break-up of the USSR & Yugoslavia. UEFA has actively encouraged full membership for the likes of Andorra, Liechtenstein and the Faeroes during the same period. UEFA even admitted Kazakhstan into membership!

Nor is there anything to suggest that the likes of Germany, France, Italy & Spain would want a joint UK side to rival them as continental leaders. There is absolutely no appetite in any of the four home nations for this either.

The bottom line though is that other UEFA countries love being drawn to play Scotland – and, no, not just because we’re a soft touch at the moment. Scotland attracts some of the biggest attendances for international matches in Europe as the recent 45,000+ for the match against Moldova – MOLDOVA! - shows. We take thousands of fans abroad wherever we play and they are welcomed universally by cities and countries keen to experience the economic boost provided by the Tartan Army.

If there is a joint UK team for the football at the 2012 Olympics then it would be a one-off. After all, there was a joint side in the days when it was an amateur event – Ronnie Simpson for instance played in the 1948 games – and that didn’t lead to the end of the Scottish national side.

Frankly, Scotland has more to be worried about if the OF were to join the English League than a one-off for under-23’s in seven years time.

Of course the last time a global sporting event was focused on London doesn’t hold a lot of happy memories for most Scots but even back in 1966 there were some consolations. The greatest player the world has ever seen was on hand to sign autographs for wee boys at an unlikely venue

Gersman

Post by Gersman » Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:08 am

I hear what you're saying but I hae my doots. I think somebody somewhere would use a joint UK team to cause trouble for Scotland and that the SFA should steer well clear.

That apart I'm happy the games are going to London. As you say it's the only British city the IOC would entertain.

Are you in the picture? And who's that behind Pele?
Fifty one and counting

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:17 pm

Gersman wrote: Are you in the picture? And who's that behind Pele?
Aye, that's me with the heidsquare and the shopping bag :P

No. I was there but not in the pic. No idea who the other guy is/was. Nobody was paying HIM any attention. Probably some great Brazilian though.

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:23 pm

How many countries are members of UEFA/FIFA that are not "countries"?

I'd guess that 25 years ago, only the home nations were the only non proper countries, but that has changed in the period since.

If Denmark won the Olympics would it mean the end of the Faroe Islands? Can't see it myself.
It's the Hope I can't stand

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:33 pm

The classic example is Andorra. The head of state is a joint position held by whoever is the President of France and some Spanish bishop. The Olympics were held in Barcelona in 1992 and Andorra were accepted into FIFA in 1996 without any difficulty whatsoever. No one told them their players would have to play for France or Spain.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of a GB Olympic football team (and personally I'm agnostic on it) I don't think it would have any effect whatsoever on Scotland as a FIFA and UEFA member.