You can stick your Proclaimers up your .....

The place to discuss Scottish football
Scottish
Site Admin

You can stick your Proclaimers up your .....

Post by Scottish » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:16 am

Move over Craig & Charlie. Looks like the twins will be upstaged at the League Cup Final. Apparently the legend that is Rolf Harris will be recording a new version of his hit 'A Fine Day' as a Cup Final song for Kilmarnock. Songwriter Steve Lima has been in touch with the boys at the Killiefc.com website to set things in motion.

Rolf's fifty-plus years as a performer leaves the Reids looking like 'two little boys.'

Who knows? It might even be a double act for Killie as well. After all, SYLLA's already on the books!

All we need now is to sign Jake The Peg. That extra leg would surely guarantee victory at Hampden on March 18th.

But as a saver, does anyone have Marie Osmond's e-mail address?

upthewell

Post by upthewell » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:22 pm

Easy tiger!!!!!

Gersman

Post by Gersman » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:58 pm

upthewell wrote:Easy tiger!!!!!
Tiger? Kangaroo surely?
Fifty one and counting

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:49 pm

The song will be released for download on March 10th. There's a preview here where it can also be pre-ordered

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:08 pm

Under nine days to Hampden so to ratchet up the mood a bit here's a chance to listen to the Divine Miss M

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:21 am

Rat no gie ye ra boke. It` years since I`ve thrown up to PAPER WOASES. If that`s now the offeeshul Killie song you have the Hibees running for cover.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:47 am

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:It` years since I`ve thrown up to PAPER WOASES.
And a good few years more since you got the chance to see Queen's Park in a cup final!

Scoff all you like, I'm not bothered. I just got the best birthday present anyone could wish for when my ticket dropped through the letter box this morning.

This is the seventh major final Killie have played in my lifetime and it's the first one I can actually enjoy. Four of them were before my seventh birthday, one was slap bang in between two major family bereavements and in another I was in the press box. This time it's going to be different. Win, lose or draw, rain, hail or shine it is indeed going to be a FINE DAY

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:08 pm

Trophy hunter.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:05 pm

I'm looking forward to a good game on Sunday. Should be very evenly contested and I'd be surprised if the bookies give either side very clear odds.

Just checked and indeed Ladbrokes have Hibs at 8/13 and Killie at 6/5.

Here's hoping for a 4-3 extra-time thriller. At least last Sunday's result means the game at Falkirk will be of no greater significance than the final now.
Fraser

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:18 am

I think there's a general feeling it should be a cracking match given that both teams are evenly matched - same points total in the league and this season's record between them is one win each and one drawn. Both sides like to attack and even the lack of a European place on offer should lend itself to a more open game as it means there isn't as much at stake to defend if one side takes the lead. And yes, it's good news indeed that both teams will get their day in the sun (even if it pisses down) now that the SPL title can't be won on Sunday.

Both sides will be well supported and there's no underlying animosity between them let alone anything of OF proportions so all the ingredients are in place for a good game.

The only proviso is that the players don't freeze on the day. Of the likely starters I think only Garry Hay & Allan Johnston on the Killie side and Scott Brown for Hibs have played in a major cup final before. Killie handled the 2001 final okay - it was only the loss of Ian Durrant and the presence of Henrik Larsson which swung that match whereas Hibs never really got going in either of their recent final appearances - v Celtic in 2001 and Livingston in 2004. I'm not surprised Hibs are favourites - that reflects the size of the support punting their cash and bookies perception of status more than anything else. I presume those odds are for 90 minutes.I think even money the pair over 120 minutes would be a fairer price.

I wouldn't take the last league match between the pair as any guide. Killie were seriously under strength that night and were abysmal. Although several key players are still injured - Fernandez, Sylla, Invincibile - the team have performed well, winning five and drawing one of the seven games played since then. The defeat was a controversial one against Rangers and the same referee will be in charge on Sunday.Hibs have played ten since then, winning six, drawing one and losing three - the OF and ICT.

So these are two teams in good form as well. If the game is anything like the first one at Rugby Park this season it will do for me though hopefully not a repetition of the first 45 minutes when Hibs threatened to blow Killie off the park. The second half was the reverse of the first with Naismith scoring his "Giggs" wonder goal.

IMHO the key players for Hibs will be Rob Jones (at both ends - v Nish in defence and Wright in set-piece attacks) Scott Brown, Benjelloun & whoever Hibs play in goal. For Killie Fowler, Johnston & the aforementioned battles between Wright & Nish v Jones at either end of the park.

I have two reasons for optimism about the result. First, Hibs are still in two cup competitions and must surely be thinking this could be their Scottish Cup year at last. Killie don't have that 'insurance' and that may just make us hungrier on the day.

Secondly, I think we have two potential individual match-winners and Hibs don't. They will be well aware of the danger from Stevie Naismith of course but being aware of his threat isn't the same as nullifying it. The other player who could win the cup for Killie is Paul Di Giacomo. His career has been riddled with injury - nearly nine years at Rugby Park and he has made just 100 appearances, including subs. But Jacko is one of the most naturally gifted players in Scottish football. Okay he has played only three times since Xmas and 90 minutes just once. But in the last two matches he made two goals for Nish at Love Street and scored twice v ICT. He is coming into top form at just the right time and could well be the man to exploit any gaps left by the attention paid to Naismith & Nish.

Killiehippo

Post by Killiehippo » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:08 am

I admire your optimism Davie and hope everything falls for us on the big day. There's no doubt Hibs are a decent team on their day but they seem to reserve all their best displays for Easter Road. Much like ourselves they are capable of scoring plenty but leaking them at the other end. My main concern is Sproule who has caused us big problems in recent games, we dont seem to know how to deal with him. I also worry that the wide open spaces of Hampden may suit Hibs better as they have pace in their team.
Enough of the negative stuff, if Naisy is on song he is capable of running them ragged. Hibs dont seem to have a good record at Hampden and they are more than capable of throwing in a stinking performance.
I suspect the team who defends best may win and I think we'll just sneak it.
The betting above will be the "to win outright" prices as no draw is quoted. Hibs will be slight faves over 90 minutes but they wont be odds on.
It's gonna be a blue + white day..........

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:35 pm

I'm not overly optimistic but I think there's a good chance Killie will win and I've no doubt Hibs fans will feel the same way.

Maybe this is pre-match nerves beginning to show but I understand the squad is staying at the Park Hotel on Saturday night. I'm not sure this is a good idea. The hotel will be hoaching with exiles back for the game and the odd tincture may quench a few thirsts during the course of the evening.

What will the players do? Obviously they won't be allowed to drink but will they be in the bar or restaurant being glad-handed every thirty seconds? or stuck in their rooms with nothing to do but watch Setanta?

And who is going to guarantee a good night's sleep? I know from past experience just how difficult it can be to get a good kip in the Park if there's a crowd of half-pissed people running about the place in the early hours of the morning.

Then at breakfast there'll be more back-slapping from well-meaning fans which might add to the pressure of expectation. Followed by an Argentina '78-style send-off as the team coach leaves Rugby Park at the same time as thousands of fans have started to arrive for a pre-match drink before boarding their own buses.

Maybe it's just nerves or nit-picking. I hope so. But I'd rather JJ had taken them somewhere else away from it all.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:47 am

Right. That's the case packed, the taxi booked, the train tickets checked, Hampden tickets safely stowed away.Time for bed. Come on Killie. It's gonna be a fine day. It's gonna be a blue and white day

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:56 am

Shame.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:09 am

scottish wrote: IMHO the key players for Hibs will be Rob Jones (at both ends - v Nish in defence and Wright in set-piece attacks) Scott Brown, Benjelloun & whoever Hibs play in goal. For Killie Fowler, Johnston & the aforementioned battles between Wright & Nish v Jones at either end of the park
Well, at least I got that one right! I thought Jones was absolutely immense and for me he was the MOTM. I got the identities of his direct opponents wrong though. Nish went up against him at the wrong end of the park. The first goal came as a result of Nish failing to mark him at a corner though why Wright (who had Jones in his back pocket at Rugby Park earlier in the season) wasn’t on the job I have no idea. Similarly, whether it was the manager’s idea or the players the ploy of putting Naismith up against Jones never looked like working. I can see the attractions of it – Naismith’s speed and ability to turn should have served him well in theory. But it wasn’t working – Naismith got no change out of Jones and resorted too readily to falling over - and the simple plan B of putting Nish against Jones wasn’t tried. Brown and Benji weren’t too far behind Jones in my book and McNeill’s early save from Naismith gave him the confidence to do well – not that he was forced to prove himself all that often.

Of the Killie men I mentioned Fowler made a few good tackles but didn’t break down the forward Hibs moves nearly as often as he should have. And, sadly, Allan Johnston’s age told against him. Inviting opposing players onto you is a clever move if you can either pass or emerge with the ball. When it results in slowing the game down to walking pace and ends in losing the ball with the opposition scurrying upfield it is an absolutely ruinous tactic. And one that Johnston tried on far too many times.

scottish wrote:The other player who could win the cup for Killie is Paul Di Giacomo.
Di Giacomo played the most important ball of the first half but not in the way I thought he might. On the halfway line and with time and space he mishit his pass straight to a Hibs player. That break resulted in the corner from which Hibs scored the opening goal.

Until then I felt the game was fairly even with Killie perhaps shading it on account of their livelier start. Naturally the goal gave Hibs confidence but Killie just failed to respond and passes started going astray with frightening regularity. I’m sure Hibs sensed this as there was no sense of caution about their play after scoring – no attempt to slow the game down and make sure they preserved the lead. Rather, there was a realisation that Killie were there for the taking and the game could be killed off. Killie reached half-time fortunate to be just one down.

The second half started much the same as the first ended – with Hibs in the ascendancy. Press reports have tended to say the game was over with the third Hibs goal but for me when the second went in there was no realistic way back for Kilmarnock the way they were playing. To score goals you need to make chances and Killie just weren’t making any. There was a brief spell when Gary Locke came on and Killie scored to make it 3-1 when there was a slight hope of saving the game. But those few minutes were the only real period of Killie control since before the opening goal. Of course that all ended when Hibs broke out of defence and scored again. As for Alan Combe’s howler that resulted in the fifth goal, that was just pure bad luck. Combe had actually put in a fine shift and pulled off a couple of good saves at 0-0. Along with Garry Hay and Stevie Naismith he was one of the best Killie players in what was an admittedly poor performance. Combe didn’t deserve what happened but I suppose if a keeper is going to make an enormous error during a big game it’s best to do it when it makes no difference to the outcome. It’ll soon be forgotten whereas if it had happened at the same stage of the game with the score 0-0 he’d never have been able to live it down.

To sum up: the opening half hour was a proper contest, the next thirty minutes saw Hibs well on top but doubts persisted as only one goal separated the sides. The final period saw Hibs in total control with the exception of the brief spell after Killie’s goal. The first goal was down to defensive slackness, the last to the keeper’s blunder. The others were all well crafted and well taken. Much has been said about Jim Jefferies’ ability to spot the potential of players from lower leagues and turn them into SPL standard. But for me the day Tony Mowbray saw something in Rob Jones that other managers didn’t was the day that influenced the outcome of this game the most. Closely followed by John Collins telling Rangers they couldn’t get two for the price of one in the January sales and that Scott Brown was staying with Hibs till the end of the season.

People can argue whether 5-1 was a fair reflection of the score or not. I know Jim Jefferies believes it wasn’t. But what even the most myopic Killie fan would find difficult to deny is that Hibs were vastly superior on the day and for neutral supporters some of their football must have been a joy to watch. Perhaps 4-1 would have been a truer reflection of the play – but no closer than that. An emphatic and deserved victory for Hibs and one which will encourage them in their belief that a Cup ‘double’ is a genuine prospect this season. For Killie a difficult end to the season looms. In each and every one of their remaining eight fixtures they will start the game as second favourites. The points total at the end may not look a lot different to now and that can have a further disheartening effect on players and fans. The super-optimistic will argue that Europe is still possible if Aberdeen can be beaten twice. The realist says that with games v Celtic at home, Rangers and Hibs away, Aberdeen & Hearts both to play twice and a visit to Fir Park (scene of Killie’s worst result of the season – Sunday notwithstanding) this will be a tough finish.

The return of Fernandez, Invincibile, Sylla & possibly Skora plus the emergence of Adams and O’Leary offers hope for the future. But the ex-Hearts contingent at Rugby Park – Johnston, Wales, Locke – have surely reached the end of the road. The first £2M bid will be enough to force the sale of Stevie Naismith and his loss to the side will be much more devastating than that of Kris Boyd.

The future at Rugby Park also depends to a large extent on retaining the current management. JJ & BB are the longest-serving management team in the SPL. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the success Killie have enjoyed in the past decade has been brought about by just two managers. Bobby Williamson was also the longest serving top-flight boss when he moved to Easter Road. Continuity at the top has been crucial to Kilmarnock’s well being and will remain so.

There’s no chance of the current duo following that route or of ending up at the OF. That leaves – IMHO – just three jobs in Scottish football that could be construed as a move up from Rugby Park. Future vacancies – should they arise – at Pittodrie or Tannadice should set alarm bells ringing in Ayrshire. Fortunately for Kilmarnock the job which represents the most obvious move for the management team – at Tynecastle – comes with too many strings attached. And those strings are attached to the owner’s hands!