Scotland's greatest games

The place to discuss Scottish football
Carlucci

Scotland's greatest games

Post by Carlucci » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:34 am

Could Mr.Ross tell me the five greatest games that the Scottish national side has ever played? ¿Could anyone of you tell me which has been the greatest game you've seen Scotland play? Thanks

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:05 pm

I've been to appallingly few Scotland games, I always settle for Zitelli.

One that sticks in my mind though:

West Germany 2 Scotland 0 Sweden 92 European championships

Scotland pummelled West Germany for 90 minutes, and just couldnt get the break.

Notwithstanding the above, Roxburgh [and Brown] were very bad for Scottish football.
It's the Hope I can't stand

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:51 pm

Difficult call on the five greatest. I would put the 1967 win at Wembley at the top as it ended a long unbeaten English run and Scotland became the first team to beat England since the World Cup the previous year.

I'd rank the 6-2 win over Spain in 1963 in the Bernabeu second, an astonishing result against the side that went on to win the 1964 European Championship and with six different goalscorers too.

After that, the emotional night at Hampden in 1973 when Scotland beat the Czechs to reach the World Cup Finals for the first time in 16 years.

Going further back I don't think you can ignore the Wembley Wizards and their 5-1 win over England in 1928.

For the fifth I've tried to think of more recent successes but can't get past the 1980s. The 6-1 friendly demoliton of Yugoslavia (six different scorers again) and the 3-1 win over Spain in the World Cup qualifiers, both in 1984 rank highly but in the end I'd plump for the 2-0 win over France in 1989 which virtually ended the World cup hopes of a team that had reached the last two semi-finals.

Best game I've seen? That's a lot easier. At home it was that match against the Czechs in 1973. Then, as now, there was a feeling that Scotland would never reach the WC finals again (though it was a lot harder then with only 16 qualifiers) and the drama of the night - going a goal behind and coming back to win - made the occasion. It was a victory that could only be savoured by those who had tasted defeat all too often.

Away from home it has to be Wembley 1977. It had been ten years since Scotland had last won there and nobody gave us a chance.

Carlucci

Scotland greatest games

Post by Carlucci » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:30 pm

I can't understand why Scottish people in the early seventies thought that their national side would not be able to reach the World Cup Finals because in those days Celtic was a dominant force in Europe reaching frequently the semifinals in the European Cup and Rangers had won the European Cup Winners' Cup, and both sides were full of Scots.

I haven't seen many Scotland matches, only when Spain and Scotland have met and in the World Cup Finals or in the European Championship.

I remember the 1984 match against Spain at Hampden Park in the World Cup qualifiers. Scotland played superbly. This was a display in which the Scottish combined speed, skill, attacking football and finishing ability of high order. Spain played a very defensive game and couldn't match Scotland in any one of these qualities.

The Spanish backs Santi Urquiaga and José Antonio Camacho were outclassed by Davie Cooper and Kenny Dalglish. Jim Bett and Graeme Souness also made a fantastic performance and Maurice Johnstone scored two goals (both headers) althought Maceda and Goicoechea were taller than him, and what a great goal scored Kenny Dalglish ¡

But at least we managed to beat deservedly Scotland 1-0 in Seville and finally could reach the World Cup Finals in Mexico after Wales and Scotland drew 1-1 at Ninian Park in a very tough match that we could see here in Spain on the TV screen, when Jock Stein died in the dressing room.

In the European Championship played in Sweden in 1992, Scotland played very well, but they didnt't have luck. They made a fine performance against the CIS, winning 3-0, but they have been beaten by Germany althought they have played much better than the Germans.

1963: Spain 2-6 Scotland.

That match still remains and I think it will be for ever, as the heaviest home defeat a Spanish national side have ever suffered. It was an awful game for Spain. The Spanish played very bad, especially the goalkeeper and the backs.

Only three players (Rivilla, Reija, Zoco) from those who faced Scotland in 1963 played the following international match against Northern Ireland in Belfast and the Spanish manager in that time, José Villalonga, called the "old" Luis Suárez and Luis Del Sol (both playing in Italy for Inter Milan and Juventus) and Francisco Gento for this match at Windsor Park.

And only four Spanish players that have faced Scotland would go on to play against the Soviet Union and become European champions: Feliciano Rivilla, Ignacio Zoco, Amancio Amaro and Carlos Lapetra.

Here you can see the Spain's line-ups for these matches:

* Spain 2-6 Scotland (June 13th 1963)

ESPAÑA: Vicente Train (REAL MADRID),(Carmelo Cedrún (ATHLETIC BILBAO));Feliciano Muñoz Rivilla (AT.MADRID),Mingorance (CÓRDOBA),(Jesús Glaría (AT.MADRID)),Severino Reija (REAL ZARAGOZA);Luis María Aguirre (ATHLETIC BILBAO),Jesús Glaría (AT.MADRID),Ignacio Zoco (REAL MADRID);Amancio Amaro (REAL MADRID),Adelardo Rodríguez (AT.MADRID),José Fidalgo Veloso (DEPORTIVO CORUÑA),Vicente Guillot (VALENCIA),Carlos Lapetra (REAL ZARAGOZA). suplentes: Foncho (BARCELONA),Zaldúa (BARCELONA),Rodilla (VALLADOLID),Pachín (REAL MADRID),Félix Ruíz (REAL MADRID).
* Northern Ireland 0-1 Spain (October 1963)

ESPAÑA: Pepín (REAL BETIS);Feliciano Muñoz Rivilla (AT.MADRID), Fernando Olivella (BARCELONA),Severino Reija (REAL ZARAGOZA); Félix Ruíz (REAL MADRID),Ignacio Zoco (REAL MADRID);Jesús Pereda (BARCELONA),Luis Del Sol(JUVENTUS),J.A.Zaldúa (BARCELONA), Luis Suárez (INTERNAZIONALE MILANO),Francisco Gento (REAL MADRID).

* Spain 2-1 Soviet Union (June 21st 1964)

ESPAÑA: José Angel Iríbar (ATHLETIC BILBAO); Feliciano Muñoz Rivilla (AT.MADRID), Fernando Olivella (BARCELONA), Isacio Calleja (AT.MADRID); Ignacio Zoco (REAL MADRID), Fusté (BARCELONA); Amancio Amaro (REAL MADRID), Jesús Pereda (BARCELONA), Marcelino Martínez (REAL ZARAGOZA), Luis Suárez (INTERNAZIONALE MILANO), Carlos Lapetra (REAL ZARAGOZA).

As a Spanish football fan, I think that the sixties were not a happy time for Spanish football. Although Spain failed to qualify for the World Cup Finals in 1954 and 1958 (Turkey and Scotland were to blame), from 1957 to 1960 Spain played maybe their best ever attacking football, scoring lots of goals and with an enormous amount of high quality players such as Di Stéfano, Luis Suárez, Francisco Gento, Ladislao Kubala, Enrique Collar, Joaquín Peiró, Eulogio Martínez, ....

If you look back at the Spanish line-ups, in the sixties nothing compares to these players and the football was poor, the scorelines were lower. The Spanish football was downhill in the sixties, and in the late sixties and early seventies we had nothing boast about.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:35 pm

I can't understand why Scottish people in the early seventies thought that their national side would not be able to reach the World Cup Finals
Because we had seen some of those fabulous teams of the Sixties fail to do so. Players like Jim Baxter, John White & Dave Mackay never kicked a ball in the World Cup finals. And in all honesty Denis Law's appearance against Zaire in the 1974 World Cup was a sentimental gesture towards one of our greatest ever players (IMHO our greatest ever) as Law never played a competitive match again.

Like you say Spain had an excellent team in the 1950s and Real Madrid dominated European club football like no other side since and boosted by non-Spaniards like Di Stefano & Kubala who were eligible under the rules of the time one would have thought Spain were certainties to feature. Yet Spain failed in both 1954 & 1958. On the first occasion by the toss of a coin (though modern rules would have given them an aggregate win over Turkey) and the second not so much put out by Scotland but by their own failure to defeat Switzerland in Madrid.

And in 1962 Spain struggled to get past Wales and Morocco (both poor at the time) to qualify.

Likewise in the 1970s English clubs did well in Europe but the national side failed to qualify for the World Cup twice in succession and luckily scraped through in 1982 thanks to the tournament's expansion to 24 countries.