Hibernians

The place to discuss Scottish football
Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:17 am

Burnie_man wrote:It's an interesting question, the same question I suppose as to why Glasgow and Ayrshire is such a desert for Senior non-league clubs.
Certainly true of Glasgow. And Aberdeen (Cove Rangers are a comparatively recent convert to senior status) & Dundee for that matter. Historically, Ayrshire didn't do too badly for non-league teams up until shortly before WW2 when the First Division reserve teams stuck the knife into Beith & Galston. But it does strike me as odd that there never appeared to a strong junior presence in Edinburgh at any time. Even when senior teams fell by the wayside elsewhere they either carried on or re-formed as junior - Vale of Leven, Arthurlie, Beith, Bo'ness, Bathgate for instance - but that never happened in Embra either. Or if it did (Edinburgh City) it never lasted for long.

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:34 am

There was a strong Junior presence in Edinburgh pre-WWI and particularly in the late 19th century. Edinburgh Woodburn reached the first Junior Cup Final and the semi final two years later. Edinburgh did have it's own Junior league up until the early 20th century, but things petered out upon the cessation of hostilities and it was only really Edinburgh Emmet and Portobello Thistle who had any measurable success in the 1920's.

Emmet may have carried the flag longer if they had kept at Bathgate Park. Portobello Thistle morphed into Leith Renton then Portobello Renton but never re-appeared after WWII.

Edinburgh City may have stuck at it longer if they hadn't been kicked out of City Park, then there was the ill-conceived Edinburgh Utd venture in 55/56....and that was it until the present Edinburgh Utd came on the scene in 1985.

I dont see things changing in the future, the only thing I can see happening is Edinburgh Utd giving up the ghost and Edinurgh will be Junior-less again.

SlovSam

Post by SlovSam » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:51 pm

the hibLOG wrote:It was as early as 1909 that Hibs sought to build the ground at Northfield because of uncertainty over their tenancy at Easter Road. John Mackay writes that 'plans were well advanced, on the most up-to-date lines to build a stadium to accommodate 50,000 spectators, when the North British Railway Company suddenly required the land to join two lines together, and obtained Parliamentary approval to ensure that Hibs had to abandon their ambitious project. In fact nothing much seemed to happen to the ground and a football pitch remained at the site for years, being used for minor finals and the like.'

This implies that the basic football ground at Northfield shown on the 1912, 1915 and 1919 maps may have been begun by Hibs before they were thwarted. So there was certainly a football ground there, it just wasn't Hibs' as labelled on the 1912 map.

The option of moving away from Easter Road was not entirely abandoned until 1923-24 when Hibs secured a 25 year lease and rebuilt the old stadium, moving the grandstand to the west side of the pitch and reducing the slope. Imagine what it was like before!

The 1925 stand and the slope both survived until the new West Stand was built in 2000.
Hi everyone/

I registered just to add something to your very interesting debate.

Alan Lugton in his book 'The Makings of Hibernians II' makes quite a few references to the new proposed ground at Northfield as indicated on the map.

The proposal for this ground was first passed at a meeting in the Odd Fellows Hall (still there in Forest Road though a refurbished pub now I think) on 10 July 1904. Work was to commence in November of 1904 and a 65,000 capacity stadium was planned.

The basics of the stadium were then built over the next 2 years and a raw stadium was officially opened on 15 April 1906 at a home match against Partick Thistle though at Easter Road as the Northfield Stadium was never used for football.

The reason for this seems to be twofold, firstly Hibs were not able to finance the development of anything except the rudimentary football pitch and running track and secondly the North British Railway Company acquired some adjoining land which restricted access for large football crowds.

It does seem though that this 'stadium' if you can call it that was used for greyhound racing then athletics meetings and also cycle racing and for at least another 10-15 years and that Hibs as the ground owners gained rental income from these activities and presumably the sale proceeds of the 'stadium' at a later date though that's all a bit vague.

Nice to read your excellent debates and interesting website and hopefully Sunday is a memorable occasion. :D
SS

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:07 pm

Welcome to the forum Slovsam and thanks for your input.

SlovSam

Post by SlovSam » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:39 pm

scottish wrote:Welcome to the forum Slovsam and thanks for your input.
Thanks for the welcome and my apologies for mentioning it :wink: (3-1 would have been a much fairer reflection of the game) but was there an official attendance given for yesterday :?: as I've now seen 3 different numbers.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:03 am

I've only seen the figure of 52,000. What were the others? I will be speaking to the SFL today and will ask if they have an official figure.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:06 am

Official attendance on Sunday was 50,162 which is a great tribute to both sets of supporters IMHO. It's the first 50,000 crowd Hibs have played in front of in the League Cup since the 1974-75 Final and the first for Killie since a sectional match at Ibrox in 1966-67.

It was the third time both clubs had played in front of a 50,000 gate in a League Cup tie that didn't involve the OF. For Hibs a QF play-off v Aberdeen at Ibrox and the Final v Motherwell in 1950-51 and for Killie the Finals v Dundee and Hearts in 1952-53 & 1962-63