CYPRUS

For ongoing discussion and information on global crowd figures
Scottish
Site Admin

CYPRUS

Post by Scottish » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:39 pm

An average of 2,592 makes Cyprus 58th in the world and 27th in Europe. Cyprus is one of the few countries which can boast a higher spectator to population ratio than Scotland. On pure population count it doesn’t but it has to be remembered that the Cypriot league consists solely of clubs from the internationally recognised Republic of Cyprus and the population living in the unrecognised (except by Turkey) Turkish speaking part of the island have to excluded from calculations.

Highest crowd last season was 15,895 (a Scottish equivalent would be somewhere in the region of 100,000). The lowest is a matter of debate. I have seen figures like zero, two, three and five. Presuming these were all closed-door fixtures, the lowest I can find in the Cypriot First Division (and how refreshing to see a league which sticks to a simple, easy-to-understand league divisional numbering format) was thirty-five.

Last season saw a format I haven’t seen anywhere else. There were fourteen teams playing each other twice. But then, prior to the split, the bottom two at this stage of the season were automatically relegated. The remaining twelve were split into two groups of six and the last two in the lower group were also relegated. There were no play-offs. The improvement in standards in Cypriot football in recent seasons meant that five of the top six qualified for a European place. There are twelve teams taking part this season with a more traditional approach to promotion and relegation.

AVERAGES
7895 APOEL
7495 Omonia Nicosia
4901 Apollon Limassol
4600 AEL Limassol
2794 Anorthosis Famagusta
1322 Ermis Aradippou
1242 AEK Lárnaca
1108 Nea Salamis Famagusta
923 Alki Lárnaca
746 Ethnikos Achna
739 Enosis Neon Paralimni
581 Aris Limassol
545 AEK Kouklia
418 Doxa Katokopias

Cyprus has a well-developed pyramid down to the fourth level on a national basis though there was a strange system in place last season whereby the third and fourth levels were national but the second was split into two. However as group B1 offered promotion to the top division and relegation to B2 from where a club could be relegated to the third it’s clear that (for one season only) these were second and third levels and the existing third and fourth dropped a level.

I have no figures for any division other than the top flight.