John Law McNeil

Scottish Football Answers to Questions

John Law McNeil

Postby Scottish » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:20 pm

Neilson Kaufman asks: " I was wondering if any of your readers would have any information on a former player and manager named John Law McNeil, I know he was born in Inverkeithing during 1906"

Johnny McNeil was a centre-half who played for Bo’ness & Musselburgh Bruntonians before joining Hearts in September 1925. He was mainly reserve to Barney Battles and moved to Raith – possibly on loan in January 1927 then back to Hearts at the end of the season. In December 1928 he was transferred to Portsmouth then on to Reading during 1929-30. It gets a bit fuzzy after that with Since 1888 claiming he left Reading in 1931-32 to play for Guildford City, Hearts & Inverness Caledonian before signing for Plymouth Argyle in 1934. However John Litster’s pre-war players disk has no record of him rejoining Hearts and there is no record of him making any Hearts appearances during this time.

He spent five seasons at Plymouth then joined Clapton Orient in 1939.

After the war he became manager of Merthyr Tydfil then Third Division South Torquay United in June. 1947. He took over at Second Division Bury in March 1950 and remained there until November 1953. He doesn’t appear to have had any further managerial appointments at league level in either England or Scotland after that and I have no record of what became of him after that.

If anyone has any further information please add it here.
Scottish
Site Admin

Postby Steve Emms » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:41 pm

The moves to Guildford, Hearts & Caledonian were reported in the Glasgow Herald. The same source tells us that he went to Airdrie & Shelbourne on trial during the 1930/31 season
Steve Emms

Re: John Law McNeil

Postby Bristol Rovers » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:47 pm

Just bumping this thread. Johnny McNeil played in one wartime game with Bristol Rovers in 1939-40. Does anyone have further information on him, other than what is already here? Anyone know a date of birth (more accurate than "1906") or a date of death, please?
Bristol Rovers

Return to SFAQS