McPherson for Rangers 1929/30

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
J.S.Norway

McPherson for Rangers 1929/30

Post by J.S.Norway » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:56 am

Was it James McPherson or Archie McPherson who played 6 games (2 goals) for Rangers in 1929/30? Archie signed for Liverpool 19th November. James for StJohnstone 31st January. All matches was before November.

bluedragon

Re: McPherson for Rangers 1929/30

Post by bluedragon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:11 am

The Fitbastats site shows Archie McPherson making his Rangers debut on 24 August 1929 and in total played 6 league matches (2 goals) and 2 Glasgow Cup matches (0 goals). He played his last match on 9 November 1929.

The Dundee Evening Telegraph (Monday 18 November 1929) says:

“Archie M’Pherson, whom Rangers secured from Alva Albion Rangers last March, has not stayed long at Ibrox. He was transferred on Saturday to Liverpool, and was not therefore available for the match against Ayr United.”

There is not a James McPherson on the Fitbastats Rangers page that only covers first team competitive matches. However, the Perthshire Advertiser (Saturday 1 February 1930) said the following on James McPherson when he moved to St Johnstone:

“James M’Pherson, outside right from Rangers……..M’Pherson will deputise for Gavigan on the right wing against Dundee. M’Pherson has filled Archibald’s shoes with fair success on occasion.”

Archibald” is Alexander (“Sandy”) Archibald, Rangers regular outside right at the time. In Archie McPherson’s eight matches for Rangers (7 at inside left and 1 at inside right) Sandy Archibald was playing at outside right. The reference to James McPherson deputising for Sandy Archibald may refer to friendly matches.

So I think Archie McPherson (inside forward) played competitively for the Rangers first team but James McPherson (outside right) did not. Unless anyone knows differently!

J.S.Norway

Re: McPherson for Rangers 1929/30

Post by J.S.Norway » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:00 pm

Thank you! I see that John Litster has given the matches to James McPherson in his Scottish League Archives. But I believe you are correct. Archie was a club record signing for Liverpool in 1929. I don`t think Liverpool would have paid £5 000 for him if had no firstteam games for Rangers.