Seven different scorers

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Shawfield Boy

Seven different scorers

Post by Shawfield Boy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:56 am

On the last day of October 1959 Clde beat Aberdeen 7-2 with seven different players scoring Clyde's goals. Yesterday we beat East Stirling 7-1 with, again, seven different players scoring our goals.

Are we unique, or does this sort of quirk happen more frequently than we would think?

Cheers

Bristol Rovers

Re: Seven different scorers

Post by Bristol Rovers » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:58 pm

How reassuring to read my sort of question when I logged on this evening! This is exactly the sort of thing I wonder about. The answer is, I suppose, that no one really knows.

My records are mainly south of the border and I can say that, unless I have miscalculated, not one of the current 92 League clubs, nor any of the former League clubs can say that they had seven different scorers in their largest League victory. Bristol Rovers have never had more than five scorers in a League game and the defeat at Sheffield Wednesday last December was the first time six opponents had scored in the same League fixture. This is not to say, of course, that it doesn't happen, if only rarely. Here are a few examples for starters, but I am sure there are more:

9 different scorers - Liverpool 11 Stromsgodset 0, European Cup Winners' Cup, 17.9.1974

8 different scorers - Liverpool 9 Palace 0, 12.9.1989 (League); France 10 Azerbaijan 0, 6.9.1995 (World Cup); 17.10.1995 Crewe 8 Hartlepool 0 (Auto Windscreen Shield)

7 different scorers (League only) - Birmingham C, 11.4.1903; Blackburn R, 2.10.1909; Sheffield Wed, 1.3.1915; Leeds U, 7.10.1967; Motherwell, 20.1.1990; Livingston, 24.4.2010 - plus also Denmark, 17.5.1989 (World Cup). So, are Clyde the first club north or south of the border, where this has happened twice in the League?

MadMac

Post by MadMac » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:13 pm

Bristol Rovers wrote:7 different scorers (League only) - Motherwell, 20.1.1990
This didn't ring a bell with me - on checking, it was actually a Scottish Cup game v Clyde.

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:40 am

It's always interesting when the boot is on the other foot! On the 20th January 1990 Clyde went to Fir Park and were thrashed 7-0 by Motherwell, with seven different players scoring.

This was repeated when we went through to Livingston on the 14th December 2009 when again seven different players scored, albeit one of them was Clyde goalkeeper Calum Reidford!

Obviously my total concentration on all things Clyde completely blotted these two events out!

So it could be that whilst Clyde are the only team to have achieved this feat in the league, we may be the only team to have suffered this way in the Scottish Cup!

NB The Scottish Cup tie against Livingston was notable for an entirely different reason. The first match on 28th November was started, then abandoned due to fog. After a couple of postponements the re-arranged match kicked-off on the 7th December, and again it was abandoned due to fog, possibly the only time a match has been started twice and abandoned for the same (third party) reason. When the match was eventually played to a finish it ended 1-1, hence we went through to Livingston.

NB Also noticed Swansea beating Sliema Wanderers 12-0 in a European tie with eight different players scoring.

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:56 am

Haven't fully checked out all the high scores in Scottish football, but from a quick calculation Stirling Albion had nine different scorers (again including an OG) when they beat Selkirk 20-0 in the Cup, although again this is not strictly an instance where all the goals were scored by different players.

If we go for seven or more different players scoring in a game, I suspect there are quite a few other instances out there.

If we restrict it to only those games where a team score seven (or more) goals and those seven (or more) goals came from different players (ie no player scored more than one goal) it will obviously be rarer.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:51 am

I suspect there will be lots of occasions when seven players scored in matches with big victories. Another example is Chelsea v Jeunnesse Hautcharage in the ECWC on Sep 29th 1971 when Chelsea won 13-0. Though the most obvious candidate falls short. When Arbroath beat Bon Accord 36-0 there were only six scorers. When Australia beat American Samoa 31-0 in a World Cup qualifier in 2001 there were seven scorers. In the same qualifying group, Australia beat Samoa 11-0 with seven different scorers though one was an own goal? They beat Tonga 22-0 with nine different scorers?

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:09 pm

Think I've found another occassion where a team scored seven goals via seven different players.

31 October 1962 Kilmarnock 7 Motherwell 1

Kilmarnock scorers were Mason, Kerr (pen), Richmond, O’Connor, Black, Brown, McIlroy

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:14 am

Don't know how I missed that one - considering I mentioned it in my first Killie book!

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:38 pm

I see Cove Rangers managed this feat on Saturday against Golspie Sutherland, although like Livingston in their game against Clyde one of their scorers was "OG".

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:01 am

I see that Manchester City have now qualified for this illustrious group following their 7-0 win over Norwich City, although again one of the Man City scorers was "OG".

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:10 pm

Shawfield Boy wrote:I see that Manchester City have now qualified for this illustrious group following their 7-0 win over Norwich City, although again one of the Man City scorers was "OG".
Watching the highlights last night, for me two were own goals. I'll be surprised if ultimately the "Dubious Goals Panel" allow Nastasic to keep the one credited to him. He glanced a header than was probably going across the face of goal before it hit a defender's head and deflected in.

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:12 pm

Shawfield Boy wrote: NB The Scottish Cup tie against Livingston was notable for an entirely different reason. The first match on 28th November was started, then abandoned due to fog. After a couple of postponements the re-arranged match kicked-off on the 7th December, and again it was abandoned due to fog, possibly the only time a match has been started twice and abandoned for the same (third party) reason. When the match was eventually played to a finish it ended 1-1, hence we went through to Livingston.
Embarrassing though it is, Queen of the South v Ross County was twice abandoned due to floodlight failure in season 2010/11. Not sure if that counts as a "third party" reason though?

Partick Thistle

Post by Partick Thistle » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:28 pm

Under the "one goal, one scorer" criteria Thistle can do 6 at best…

SFL First Division - game 27
Sat-23-Mar-2013
Livingston [h] W6-1
scorers: Aaron Muirhead (pen), Steven Craig, James Craigen, Stevie Lawless, Chris Erskine, Kris Doolan

7 different scorers twice…

Friendly
Wed-08-Aug-1990
Tarff Rovers [a] W10-1
scorers: John Flood (3), Chic Charnley (2), Bobby Law, Brian Gallagher, Isaac English, Alan McConville, Kevin Straiton

League Cup 2nd Round
Wed-11-Aug-1993
Albion Rovers [a] W11-1
scorers: Albert Craig (2), Iain Cameron (4), Gerry Britton, Bobby Law, Roddy Grant, Isaac English, Willie Jamieson

And 10 different scorers once…

Friendly
Sat-17-Jul-2004
Royal Highland Fusiliers [a] W18-0
scorers: Matthew Shields (3), John Gemmell (3), Ritchie Pacquette (3), Gerry Britton (2), o.g. (2), Nigel Jemson, Willie Howie, Andy Ross, Emmanuel Panther, Kenny Milne
notes:
Could possibly be 11 if the 2 o.g. scorers proved to be different players.
Incidentally, these were Gerry Britton’s last goals for the club.
William

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:58 am

I see Brora Rangers achieved the "seven different goalscorers" feat on Saturday against Buckie Thistle.

Shawfield Boy

Post by Shawfield Boy » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:21 am

Not Scottish football, but I noticed Spain achieved this feat a couple of weeks ago against Malta.