Roy Erskine

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
the hibLOG

Roy Erskine

Post by the hibLOG » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:31 am

Tennis player Andy Murray has been quoted as attributing his support for Hibs to his maternal grandfather Roy Erskine having played for them. Any evidence as to when exactly this was, if ever? I can't find any reference to him in Neil Brown's list (http://www.neilbrown.newcastlefans.com/) which includes all post-war appearances.
Fraser

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:32 pm

From John Litster's database of Scottish League players:

Robert S Erskine signed for Hibs on 10/9/1952 and was one and a half years at Easter Road without making a first team appearance. In Feb 1954 he joined Peebles Rovers, and that summer signed for Stirling Albion. Made just nine league appearances in two seasons, then went to Cowdenbeath in summer of 1956. Played almost every game in 56/57 then fell out of the picture in 57/8, made only two league starts, and returned to Stirling in Feb 1958. Was freed at the end of that season without any more first team appearances.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:49 pm

Many thanks.

These celebrity fans, eh? Just when Cowdenbeath could do with a bit of famous support he turns round and follows a team his grandad never even played for. Tch!
Fraser

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:12 pm

Oh, I don't know. Youthful promise never quite making it through to maturity? Flatters to deceive but never really looks like carrying off the game's biggest prizes? Constant moans about injury? The odd win against those at the very top offset by regular defeats by those ranked much lower? Some really poor performances in Europe? Fickle, high-pitched screaming fans?

Sounds like an ideal match to me!

cowdenbeather

Post by cowdenbeather » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:29 pm

Ah but Roy Erskine, Jamie & Andy Murray are all official members of the Cowdenbeath Supporters Club. Roy was at our player of the year do in 2006 when we won the 3rd Division title. He was also featured in the Scots Magazine a few months back recalling his career in football.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:18 pm

scottish wrote:Oh, I don't know. Youthful promise never quite making it through to maturity? Flatters to deceive but never really looks like carrying off the game's biggest prizes? Constant moans about injury? The odd win against those at the very top offset by regular defeats by those ranked much lower? Some really poor performances in Europe? Fickle, high-pitched screaming fans?

Bet he's got a good six-pack an'all...
Fraser

bluedragon

Re: Roy Erskine

Post by bluedragon » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:37 pm

In the light of Andy Murray's success I came across this thread. However, someone told me that the Scottish father of Donald Budge - the first person to win tennis's Grand Slam - played for Glasgow Rangers reserves. I don't know when though but Don Budge was born in the USA in 1915 so presumably some time before then.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:18 pm

This is an oft-repeated story, that Don's father John Budge, a printer to trade, played for Rangers reserves in the 1880s/1890s before emigrating to California.

It was mentioned in Don's obituaries and is on Wikipedia, but I've never seen any evidence that it was true.

bluedragon

Post by bluedragon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:37 pm

ScottishFA wrote:This is an oft-repeated story, that Don's father John Budge, a printer to trade, played for Rangers reserves in the 1880s/1890s before emigrating to California.

It was mentioned in Don's obituaries and is on Wikipedia, but I've never seen any evidence that it was true.
Thanks for that. Up until a few days ago I did not know of Don Budge's Scottish father let alone the claim about the football connection. I have had a quick look on the BNA and could only find a Budge or Budges playing for Clyde in the early 1880's but that would be too early.

Snuff

Post by Snuff » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:57 am

Scottish wrote:
Oh, I don't know. Youthful promise never quite making it through to maturity? Flatters to deceive but never really looks like carrying off the game's biggest prizes? Constant moans about injury? The odd win against those at the very top offset by regular defeats by those ranked much lower? Some really poor performances in Europe? Fickle, high-pitched screaming fans?

David, I ken awe aboot: "Him - ah kent his faither"; but, never before, "Ah kent his grand-faither".
Snuff

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:47 am

Snuff wrote: David, I ken awe aboot: "Him - ah kent his faither"; but, never before, "Ah kent his grand-faither".
I suppose the closest is the old rugby song, to the tune of 'Onward Christian Soldiers,' 'Lloyd George Knew My Father.'

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:49 am

Snuff wrote: David, I ken awe aboot: "Him - ah kent his faither"; but, never before, "Ah kent his grand-faither".
Bill Smith always said "I was Mattha's boy then Gordon's faither and nothing in between"

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:25 am

There's a piece about Roy Erskine in the Scotsman today: http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/sp ... -1-3000525

Unfortunately it perpetuates the idea that he played in the Hibs first team. In fact he only made three appearances in the reserves (in Division C) over two seasons, according to the Hibs handbooks, and most of his games were for the third team in the East of Scotland League (he would have won a medal for winning that league in 1952-53).

The article also mentions an East of Scotland Shield final - but the final he played in was the King Cup Final in November 1952, for Hibs against Hearts admittedly, but at third team level.