Rangers Motto

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Scottish
Site Admin

Rangers Motto

Post by Scottish » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:44 am

I've received this question about the Rangers motto. Any ideas?

"When did the Gers change their motto from "Aye Ready" to simply "Ready", and why? I have already Emailed the club and had no response and I also contacted the Authors of The Complete history of Rangers with no reply.What's the secret??The reason for my interest is that it could be a pub sports question"

cowdenbeather

Post by cowdenbeather » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:19 pm

Robert McElroy clarified this on another website. Rangers’ motto has officially been ‘Ready’ now for over 40 years. Originally the Rangers motto was ‘Aye Work Awa’ which was then changed to ‘Ready, Aye Ready’, subsequently shortened to ‘Aye Ready’ and finally in 1966 to ‘Ready’. The change in 1966 was explained as being a modernising move, but in fact it was so that the crest could be legally incorporated.

fatbhoy

Post by fatbhoy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:07 pm

Does anyone know when either of these phrases were first introduced into the club crest?

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:54 am

I'm almost certain, in my schoolboy Panini sticker collecting days of the late 70's, that the Rangers sticker badge had "Aye Ready" on it, because up until I read this, I never even knew it had been changed to "Ready". I can't double check now as my great collection joined Mr.Panini in the big sticker book in the sky many years ago :cry:

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:57 am

Burnie_man wrote:I'm almost certain, in my schoolboy Panini sticker collecting days of the late 70's, that the Rangers sticker badge had "Aye Ready" on it, because up until I read this, I never even knew it had been changed to "Ready". I can't double check now as my great collection joined Mr.Panini in the big sticker book in the sky many years ago :cry:
I have Panini albums from 1978 to about 1990 or so at home. I'll have a look later if I remember. They aren't all complete though.

Skyline Drifter

Post by Skyline Drifter » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:00 pm

Burnie_man wrote:I'm almost certain, in my schoolboy Panini sticker collecting days of the late 70's, that the Rangers sticker badge had "Aye Ready" on it, because up until I read this, I never even knew it had been changed to "Ready". I can't double check now as my great collection joined Mr.Panini in the big sticker book in the sky many years ago :cry:
For what it's worth, I can confirm that Football 78 and indeed all subsequent Panini albums have the Rangers motto on the badge as simply "READY". There's no "AYE" on it.

fatbhoy

Post by fatbhoy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:00 pm

I had (erroneously) thought that the 'Aye' had been dropped when a new badge was introduced early in the Souness era, maybe 87/8? Am sure the badge was restyled then.
"In the hall of fame of the football game there's a name that stands alone . . ."

Burnie_man

Post by Burnie_man » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:57 am

Skyline Drifter wrote:For what it's worth, I can confirm that Football 78 and indeed all subsequent Panini albums have the Rangers motto on the badge as simply "READY". There's no "AYE" on it.
Oh well, the beer has obviously had more of an effect on my memory cells than I had first realised :)

Rob

Post by Rob » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:35 pm

Skyline Drifter wrote:
For what it's worth, I can confirm that Football 78 and indeed all subsequent Panini albums have the Rangers motto on the badge as simply "READY". There's no "AYE" on it.
I spent weeks and weeks trying to get Willie Pettigrew, never did get him. My kids collect them today.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:05 pm

What's all this Panini stuff? I thought a Panini was a fancy name for a sandwich. When did they stop dishing out stickers with bubble gum?