Hat-trick Heroes

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
fatbhoy

Hat-trick Heroes

Post by fatbhoy » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:10 pm

What is the record no. of hat-tricks scored by a single player in Scottish football? I understand that Henrik Larsson scored 12 in his time at Celtic, anyone beat that previously?

nightfire

Re: Hat-trick Heroes

Post by nightfire » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:10 pm

fatbhoy wrote:What is the record no. of hat-tricks scored by a single player in Scottish football? I understand that Henrik Larsson scored 12 in his time at Celtic, anyone beat that previously?
I'm sure I read that Jimmy Quinn (Celtic) scored 18 hat tricks but was comprehensively beaten by Jimmy McGrory who scored 48 hat tricks including a double hat trick in 1 game v Dunfermline.

I would need to check to be sure

fatbhoy

Post by fatbhoy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:02 pm

Cheers nightfire.
The query was sparked off by a fellow fan advising that she'd been told that Larsson had scored over 50 hat-tricks, which I scoffed at. Not much scoffing where McGrory's concerned though!
"In the hall of fame of the football game there's a name that stands alone . . ."

lbb

Post by lbb » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:03 am

The Rough Guide to Rangers has Ally McCoist scoring 28 hat-tricks. By my records, he scored 25 hat-tricks for Rangers but I know he also scored a couple for St. Johnstone and one for Kilmarnock against Hearts so perhaps they are including these. Of his hat-tricks for Rangers, 15 came at Ibrox with East End Park and Hampden Park being the most popular away grounds with 2 hat-tricks apiece.

Larsson scored 15 hat-tricks for Celtic - certainly a post-war record for Celtic. Twelve of these came at Celtic Park, one at Fir Park, one at Tynecastle and one at Hampden.

Scottish
Site Admin

Re: Hat-trick Heroes

Post by Scottish » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:03 pm

nightfire wrote:
fatbhoy wrote:What is the record no. of hat-tricks scored by a single player in Scottish football? I understand that Henrik Larsson scored 12 in his time at Celtic, anyone beat that previously?
I'm sure I read that Jimmy Quinn (Celtic) scored 18 hat tricks but was comprehensively beaten by Jimmy McGrory who scored 48 hat tricks including a double hat trick in 1 game v Dunfermline.

I would need to check to be sure
McGrory notched up 48 LEAGUE hat-tricks (49 if you count the eight in one game v Dunfermline as two). He also scored another seven in the Scottish Cup for a total of 55.