Online Sources

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
John Meffen

Re: Online Sources

Post by John Meffen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:21 pm

scottish wrote:There has been a major update of the Herald which, although not complete, now covers the period from the early 1800s to the 1990s.
Where? Google or Gale?

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:23 pm

Oops, I should have checked, it's google, there are gazillions, there goes awhole nother chunk of my free time! :shock:

Insertnamehere

Post by Insertnamehere » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:47 pm

OK I aware the "DUH's" but I cant find it?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:52 pm

The Evening Times is now on the Google News archive. Don't get too excited though. According to Google there are over 10,000 issues aavailable dating back to November 1914 but clicking on Nov 1914 takes you to an edition of the paper from 1985!

However there is much good news. There are plenty of papers from 1951 onwards which will be good for midweek matches, juniors etc. OTOH there is no guarantee that the Saturday edition (where available) will be the 'pink' sports edition though even the 'normal' edition will have some football news.

Here's a good example of the 'pink' Saturday from January 1961

Full list of newspapers on Google here

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:08 pm

Thanks for choosing THAT edition Webmeister! Queen`s Park throwing away the lead twice then Bert Cromar having an 87th minute penalty saved & Cowden winning 3-2 @ Hampden. Still, see what good reporting filled the paper 50 years ago with match reports going right up to full time - no "articles" clogging up the pages & reports ending @ half time.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:28 pm

LEATHERSTOCKING wrote:Thanks for choosing THAT edition Webmeister! Queen`s Park throwing away the lead twice then Bert Cromar having an 87th minute penalty saved & Cowden winning 3-2 @ Hampden.
It also had the headline 'Killie are no Barcelonas."

Here's a better one for QP fans. This from the Bulletin

There are only 50 issues available, (at the moment) all from early 1957. Again, anyone looking for midweek details should find this paper helpful.

If anyone sees any other papers on the Google list useful from a Scottish football perspective (and presumably we should all check for updates occasionally) please post them here.

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:57 pm

Ah, that`s the famous "CELTIC GO TO CHURCH" game with Charlie Church scoring both Queen`s goals! Thanks for that. The McEwan mentioned was a super centre forward who signed for Rangers & promptly disappeared(not the 1st or the last to enter the Bermuda Triangle that is Ibrox). Valentine(a very good centre half) too went to Ibrox was left stranded by his much more experienced new colleagues in Celtic`s 7-1 League Cup Final win & also disappeared. Incidently, talking about Spiders` centre forwards, the Buchanan mentioned in the 1961 extract you printed was P.G.Buchanan who wore the no.9 shirt for years and was the immediate, regular successor of one A.C.Ferguson who`s done rather well for himself since - all down to his good Hampden grounding.

bobby s

Post by bobby s » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:11 am

Is there an easy way to screen grab reports from the google archive?
It's the Hope I can't stand

LEATHERSTOCKING

Post by LEATHERSTOCKING » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:18 am

Believe it or believe it not, webmeister, there was headline in this morning`s Daily Record,"Killie are no Barca."! Plus la change - or not.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:08 am

bobby s wrote:Is there an easy way to screen grab reports from the google archive?
Alas, no EASY ways. Though there are SOME ways to do it, none are easy. See discussion here

Scottish
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Scottish » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:15 am

juniorhistory wrote:
scottish wrote:
I have also noticed that even though it says there is no edition for some days (taking into account no sunday edition), that edition appears in the next days paper.
This applies to the Evening Times too. The Saturday 'Pink' can often be found by clicking on editions which start on a Friday or even a Thursday. The tabloid nature of the paper means that sometimes one page in the archive is actually two or three in the actual paper. So don't assume that just because the Saturday date is missing that the paper hasn't been digitised. Also there are times when the 'normal' Saturday edition will appear first and the sports follows.

John Meffen

Post by John Meffen » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:56 pm

Out doing one of my very refined searches on the internet, I came just across this site, http://www.kellyscomics.com/ in the subfolders, and I have in no way explored them all, there are a lot of old football players pics, some give a potted bio, others just a pic, but if you are looking for players from the pre WWII period there is plenty to go through. Obviously there are more English cards than Scottish, but I'm sure a lot would have played for Scottish teams at some point.

Apologies if this is a well known site

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:52 pm

According to the Google Newspaper Archive there are now over 11,500 editions of the Evening Times available. That's 1,000 more than before. As the start and end dates are the same these will either be previously 'missing' copies that WERE unavailable or 'hidden' ones that were actually online but for one reason or another (usually two editions running together counting as one) won't have been tabulated initially. Other than trying again to find copies that weren't available before, there's no way of knowing which.

Sat31March1928

Post by Sat31March1928 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:58 am

I've started 'stiching together' the GH and ET images. Again it will be a long process.

I've done the football pages of the Saturday ET Editions from 1951 ans some from 1970 and 1971 more on a seperate thread.

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/imag ... /1951.html

Here is a sample from 2nd Jan 1951

I've also done the GH from 1984 to 1989

http://www.londonhearts.com/scores/imag ... rlist.html
Jackson; James; Jackson; James; Jackson

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:18 am

Daily Record from January 1996 onwards

Sunday Mail also January 1996 onwards

Not quite the same as Google Newspapers but if you click on any date then the article name should make it obvious if its relevant or not. Also, clicking on the name of any writer brings up a full list of articles written during the specified dates.