Online Sources

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
ScottishFA

Re: Online Sources

Post by ScottishFA » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:41 pm

I've just found out that the National Library of Scotland's free online access now includes Bell's Life in London. This was one of the most comprehensive sports papers in the 19th century, and has detailed reports of football matches in England and (to an extent) in Scotland. Particularly useful if you are interested in the 1860s and 1870s.

Bell's Life is included in the 19th Century UK Periodicals collection, and you can also get access to the 19th century British Library newspapers, and about fifty other archives.

Registration with the NLS is free, so long as you have an address in Scotland, and also surprisingly quick. When it asks if you work for a Higher Education establishment, say no - it is part of their licensing conditions.

See their Licensed Digital Collections page at: https://auth.nls.uk/ldc/browse.cfm?by=a ... e&atid=2,5

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:16 pm

ScottishFA wrote: Registration with the NLS is free, so long as you have an address in Scotland
And how do they verify that?

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:50 pm

They will immediately give you online access for 21 days, but in that time they send you a letter by post with a verification key which you then have to submit online. The letter has to be sent to an address in Scotland.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:46 pm

ScottishFA wrote:The letter has to be sent to an address in Scotland.
So, basically, I need to have one friend amongst roughly five million people? Hmmm, tricky.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue May 24, 2011 12:24 am

Bad News

No more additions to the Google News Archive. OTOH we have what we have and they are not - AFAIK - removing any content.

BMCCOLL

Post by BMCCOLL » Thu May 26, 2011 12:26 pm

Google started something called One Pass in February, enabling publishers to charge viewers of they're online content, hopefully they won't start charging for access to the archived copies we can access for free at the moment, but this is the UK... pound of flesh and all that!
http://sfha.org.uk/

sureitsza

Post by sureitsza » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:13 pm

The British Newspaper Archive Launches Today!

Today is the launch day for the British Newspaper Archive - www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk - and there‘s lots going on to celebrate this special event! Many thanks to all of you that offered constructive feedback during our short beta trial. Where possible we have incorporated your suggestions, fixed the issues, and others put on the list to do as soon after launch as we can.

the hibLOG

Post by the hibLOG » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:58 am

Should any of you be irritated or inconvenienced by the non-subscription limit of articles which can be read online in any 4-week period imposed by a certain Glasgow newspaper - you know the one, the 'posh' one, not the raggedy tabloids - I have discovered a rather basic flaw in their technology. By simply googling the article headline your search will most likely produce two correct results - one link is to the main online article, blocked by a cookie counter which will tell you you have read your free quota for the month. The other link (easily identifiable in Google's preview) is the print-friendly version. No cookie counter - read away.

Duh!
Fraser

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:40 pm

I'm aware of the papers available at GoogleNews... Herald/Bulletin/Evening Times... and there's also 'The Historical Scotsman' available free if you register with NLS. But this uses Proquest and you have to view articles individually, it's all standalone images.

Is there a way to 'browse' the Scotsman in the manner you browse e.g. Herald on GoogleNews, apart from the (horrifically expensive) Scotsman Digital Archive?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:00 pm

HibeeJibee wrote:Is there a way to 'browse' the Scotsman in the manner you browse e.g. Herald on GoogleNews, apart from the (horrifically expensive) Scotsman Digital Archive?
London Hearts has everything up to the end of 1950 (last year of the Scotsman Digital Archive) and also Herald to end December 1900. Davy is also putting together later Herald plus E Times there as well.

You're right about the Scotsman's prices. They are scandalous. La Vanguardia & Mundo Deportivo here both have fully accessible, open and free archives going back to their dates of foundation (1881 & 1906 respectively). Of course there's precious little about Scottish football there but all the same anyone wanting to research Spanish football (or anything else for that matter) can do so free of charge.

ScottishFA

Post by ScottishFA » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:46 am

There are a few special free offers on Ancestry at present, which are excellent for tracing players of a certain vintage who moved to England or emigrated.

The 1911 England and Wales census is free for a 'limited period': http://www.ancestry.co.uk/1911Census?o_ ... _sch=Email

Immigration records are free until Saturday night: http://www.ancestry.co.uk/home/new.aspx ... _sch=Email

And the 1940 USA census is also free, apparently with no time limit: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=2442

As an example of what can be managed with these resources, I've tracked the movements of Scotland international William Urquhart Baird (one cap in 1897 with St Bernard's) who emigrated to USA and died in New York on 21 February 1943.

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:18 pm

scottish wrote:London Hearts has everything up to the end of 1950 (last year of the Scotsman Digital Archive) and also Herald to end December 1900. Davy is also putting together later Herald plus E Times there as well.

You're right about the Scotsman's prices. They are scandalous. La Vanguardia & Mundo Deportivo here both have fully accessible, open and free archives going back to their dates of foundation (1881 & 1906 respectively). Of course there's precious little about Scottish football there but all the same anyone wanting to research Spanish football (or anything else for that matter) can do so free of charge.
Cheers. I use London Hearts often, it's just that sometimes you find snippets in other areas when viewing pages as originally produced.

On a semi-related vein... given this thread began 2007... in terms of British papers between say WWI and the 1960s, what else is currently out there "free-to-view"?

I get Scotsman and Times through NLS - sadly my council library service has no licensed entitlements of consequence - plus GoogleNews has the Herald, the Evening Times from 1951 on, and some Bulletins from 1957.

Much else British available online (GoogleNews or elsewhere) covering 1920s to 1960s?

GoogleNews has hundreds of titles going by its index... http://news.google.com/newspapers ... but you can't break-it-down by territory/periods covered.

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:45 pm

The Aberdeen Weekly Journal is available for the late 19th century. I'm not aware of any freely available online source that hasn't already been mentioned on this thread but always happy to mention any people are aware of.

There are editions of The Bulletin going further back than you mention, 1952 or 1953.

HibeeJibee

Post by HibeeJibee » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:32 pm

Cheers, bit of a shame. Sometimes I could get into other things courtesy of my EASE alumni account at Edinburgh, but it's not the same access as students and I think they stopped using ATHENS anyway.

Have you a link to earlier "Bulletins"? When I use GoogleNews index it just shows 50 issues from January-February 1957.