Raith Rovers in the forties

Scottish Football Answers to Questions
Carlucci

Raith Rovers in the forties

Post by Carlucci » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:51 pm

Could any of you tell me who were the Raith Rovers men that faced Rangers in 1948-49 Scottish League Cup and the scoring sequence?

Scottish
Site Admin

Post by Scottish » Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:43 pm

Hola Carlucci,

The Raith Rovers team that played Rangers in the League Cup Final at Hampden Park on March 12th 1949 was:

Westland, McClure, McNaught, Young, Colville, Leigh, Maule, Collins, Penman, Brady, Joyner

Raith, then in the 'B' Division had the better of the first half and in 41 minutes had a goal disallowed for offside. One minute after the interval a Torry Gillick header put Rangers ahead. Willie Paton scored Rangers second after 59 minutes.

The match finished 2-0 to Rangers.

Level_Par

Post by Level_Par » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:54 am

The year after that was the only all-Fife final. East Fife beat the Pars 3-0 :cry:

Level_Par

Post by Level_Par » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:59 am

After my last post a forum member asked "Could you tell me something about the only all Fife Final between East Fife and Dunfermline Athletic. Who were the scorers, and the scoring sequence, who were the managers in charge in both sides, the team line-ups, who was the referee, and which team was seen as hot favourite?"

It was October 29th 1949 and finished 3-0 to East Fife. All the goals came in the first half from Charlie Fleming, Davie Duncan and Henry Morris. SCot Symon (later Rangers boss) was East Fife manager and Weber Lees was in charge of the Pars.

East Fife team: McGarrity, Laird, Stewart, Philp, Finlay, Aitken, Black, Fleming, Morris, Brown, Duncan

Dunfermline: Johnstone, Kirk, McLean, McCall, Clarkson, Whyte, Mayes, Cannon, Henderson, McGairy, Smith

Referee was Mr W Webb of Glasgow

Although the Pars had beaten Hibs in the semi-finals they were a 'B' Division team and East Fife were the strong favourites.